Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Jones sign extension with Riders through 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I do not understand the value of lumping people into one camp or the other as I suspect most people have variety of specific and general criticisms of Jones based upon their own perceptions. I prefer to deal with the issues raised rather than pivoting towards personal attacks or stereotypes. Creating a straw man then tearing it down does not impress me.


    I think Jones has made some debateable player choices and decisions; however, I also live mostly in the present. The past is over.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post

      Lost a home semi final game to the Bombers. Got shut out by the Bombers. Lost to Montreal at home. Got swept by Ottawa.
      It was a season of ups and downs. And in the end 2018 was only a success compared to 2017. Just as 2017 was only a success compared to 2016.
      I said before the season started that Jones deserved an extension if the Riders got a home playoff game. And they delivered. The extension was earned and I'm glad Jones and co will have another shot at finishing the job in 2019. But until he delivers a GC and adequately fixes the glaring hole on his team's roster, he's also going to deserve the criticism he gets.
      I agree there was some inconsistency during 2018. We seemed unable to match up at times with the Bombers during games although the Riders competed better against Calgary.


      Jones needs to win in 2019, no question. I think many would agree that his ability to fix the QB issue will I think be one of the critical challenges this year.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post

        Lost a home semi final game to the Bombers. Got shut out by the Bombers. Lost to Montreal at home. Got swept by Ottawa.
        It was a season of ups and downs. And in the end 2018 was only a success compared to 2017. Just as 2017 was only a success compared to 2016.
        I said before the season started that Jones deserved an extension if the Riders got a home playoff game. And they delivered. The extension was earned and I'm glad Jones and co will have another shot at finishing the job in 2019. But until he delivers a GC and adequately fixes the glaring hole on his team's roster, he's also going to deserve the criticism he gets.
        Nobody is saying he doesnít deserve criticism, but some of the comments about him out there on social media arenít constructive criticism. There are people out there that donít acknowledge anything positive with this regime and just want him gone

        Comment


        • This would be a sad world if everyone thought the same.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mallard View Post

            12-6, second overall in the league, season series against Stamps.
            And a home playoff game. All three reasons why he deserved an extension.

            Comment


            • I can probably comment, I don't have the over-the-top hatred of Jones... but my wife does. For me, I think he's a heck of a DC, and good HC, and pretty average GM. That's fine, that'll work to get us wins as far as I'm concerned. But I think I see why he's a polarizing figure.

              For my wife though, she can't stand him at all. Its not about Dressler or Durant, or any of that stuff though. I think its this attitude in Sask, and Shivers dealt with it too, that you can't come in here thinking that you're better than everyone else. Perhaps he never even said that himself, but the hype upon his arrival automatically had people suspicious. His demeanor that forst year certainly didn't help, but if he cares (which he shouldn't) he should try to lighten up the image even more. I'm not saying its a positive, and I make fun of my wife for her opinion (the key to a healthy marriage), but I'm not sure that will ever go away for many people.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by squish View Post
                I can probably comment, I don't have the over-the-top hatred of Jones... but my wife does. For me, I think he's a heck of a DC, and good HC, and pretty average GM. That's fine, that'll work to get us wins as far as I'm concerned. But I think I see why he's a polarizing figure.

                For my wife though, she can't stand him at all. Its not about Dressler or Durant, or any of that stuff though. I think its this attitude in Sask, and Shivers dealt with it too, that you can't come in here thinking that you're better than everyone else. Perhaps he never even said that himself, but the hype upon his arrival automatically had people suspicious. His demeanor that forst year certainly didn't help, but if he cares (which he shouldn't) he should try to lighten up the image even more. I'm not saying its a positive, and I make fun of my wife for her opinion (the key to a healthy marriage), but I'm not sure that will ever go away for many people.
                So is this code for you being the "wife"?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by hospitalbed View Post

                  So is this code for you being the "wife"?
                  No, I don't hate him the way she does. I range from ambivalent to luke warm.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by squish View Post
                    I can probably comment, I don't have the over-the-top hatred of Jones... but my wife does. For me, I think he's a heck of a DC, and good HC, and pretty average GM. That's fine, that'll work to get us wins as far as I'm concerned. But I think I see why he's a polarizing figure.

                    For my wife though, she can't stand him at all. Its not about Dressler or Durant, or any of that stuff though. I think its this attitude in Sask, and Shivers dealt with it too, that you can't come in here thinking that you're better than everyone else. Perhaps he never even said that himself, but the hype upon his arrival automatically had people suspicious. His demeanor that forst year certainly didn't help, but if he cares (which he shouldn't) he should try to lighten up the image even more. I'm not saying its a positive, and I make fun of my wife for her opinion (the key to a healthy marriage), but I'm not sure that will ever go away for many people.
                    Have you ever met or talked with Chris Jones? He doesn't think the way described in the bold at all. Every time I've met and talked with him he's been very accommodating. Very friendly, warm and positive. Once was right after a practice and he actually had people waiting for him but he still stood out in the parking lot and was talking to me, answering questions, telling me about the team. This is when the players hop on their buses or the coaches get into their Capital Ford trucks.

                    I find him anything but a snob or putting on airs or a "superior" attitude. I actually think this place reminds him of his southern roots and home. He'll look you in the eye and shake your hand, and make time for you. I hear he's very loyal and I can tell you, he has a great memory for faces.

                    Comment


                    • I think the knock on Jones is very petty, but we fear he will pull a Don Matthews and leave PDQ for a better opportunity. I thought, perhaps foolishly, that he was a hobo and looking for the next opportunity. It's happened before in Rider lore.

                      I didn't particularly like him in the early days, but have come to respect him very much.

                      Comment


                      • https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/mountai...-jones~1583871

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Murphy View Post

                          Nobody is saying he doesnít deserve criticism, but some of the comments about him out there on social media arenít constructive criticism. There are people out there that donít acknowledge anything positive with this regime and just want him gone
                          Fair enough. I've not seen any of that since I've drastically cut back my social media intake over the past couple years but I remember how bad Darian got it from some even after he got us a Cup so I'm sure it's no different for JOnes. Maybe even worse since he hasn't brought us a championship.
                          I think I just took some of the over the top pro-Jones comments in this thread wrong. Like "Anyone who criticized Jones is an idiot because he delivered us a 12-6 season."
                          Until they start giving out rings for 12-6 seasons that accomplishment is in the bigger scheme of things, meaningless. Kudos to him for improving our team a great deal from when he took it over, but unless he improves it the point of winning it all, his time here will be rightly remembered as a failure.



                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sprout View Post
                            I think the knock on Jones is very petty, but we fear he will pull a Don Matthews and leave PDQ for a better opportunity. I thought, perhaps foolishly, that he was a hobo and looking for the next opportunity. It's happened before in Rider lore.

                            I didn't particularly like him in the early days, but have come to respect him very much.
                            Chris Jones has been given a better opportunity with the Riders than Mathews got way back when however. Jones has got a pretty good gig here.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

                              Chris Jones has been given a better opportunity with the Riders than Mathews got way back when however. Jones has got a pretty good gig here.
                              Within the CFL, what place can give him a bigger opportunity than he already has here? If Jones leaves, it won't be for another job in Canada.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by go riders View Post

                                Within the CFL, what place can give him a bigger opportunity than he already has here? If Jones leaves, it won't be for another job in Canada.
                                He has the absolute premium gig in the CFL. Very well compensated, complete control of the leagueís flagship franchise and a palace for a stadium to play in.

                                I agree, if he leaves us (and I have no doubt heíll jump ship in the next year or two) itíll be for a good NCAA gig or an NFL opportunity.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X