Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ed Gainey calling out his own HC/GM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by steve04 View Post
    I think there is a lot of tension around the CBA right now - Derek Dennis was tweeting about them holding bonuses yesterday and a lot of players were rallying around that - I donít see it as gainey calling out jones so much as a player calling out the hiprocasy of player vs coach contracts and rights
    I agree. This is just more of the discussion around the CBA.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
      Has Jones actually had interviews or is this based on the report that teams are doing research on him? Greenzone has LaCanfora on today so hopefully they ask him
      In the age of social media speculation is soon regarded as fact.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by The Hold View Post
        Gainey needs to calm down. Coaches, Assistant coaches, assistant GM's, etc are let out of their contracts ALL THE TIME when they get an opportunity for a promotion. And an NFL job would likely be considered a promotion, or at least something that coaches/GMs have an understanding about with the teams that hire them.

        And CFL players are let out of their contracts (ie. released) pretty regularly now if they have a shot at the NFL.

        Not sure what exactly he is complaining about.
        Players being released when they are a pending free agent is different than a player being released when he has an additional year remaining. Buono got fined for this and the league made a stink over this.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by safimod View Post
          Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like he's referring to Chris Jones and the potential two teams sniffing around.


          live by the union, die by the union

          as is, I would think, the case with any workplace, the union get held pretty close to that contract, while the nonunion staff has flexibility
          #keepthepromise

          Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by steve04 View Post
            I think there is a lot of tension around the CBA right now - Derek Dennis was tweeting about them holding bonuses yesterday and a lot of players were rallying around that - I donít see it as gainey calling out jones so much as a player calling out the hiprocasy of player vs coach contracts and rights
            sure, but he is also not generalizing. He is specific about one coach.
            #keepthepromise

            Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

            Comment


            • #36
              Following the Derek Dennis thread there were some shots fired by him and other players at Huf.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

                Players have horrendous benefits. I canít remember the Alouette who was injured and then the following season had no coverage despite the injury being directly from football.

                Coaches contracts are also guaranteed and players arenít. Just look at Chamblin and Taman who are probably still laughing at all the free pay chequeís they got from us while putting their feet up and watching TV. Lol.

                Coaches have it far better than players, at least the ones at a coordinator level or higher.

                All that said, itís the freaking NFL! If Jones gets a gig, and I mean a good one, he should hop on his moped and not look back. Coaches as well as players need to do whatís best for them and their personal situations / family etc. This ďgameĒ is a business, nothing more.
                Jonathan Heffney. His shoulder is still fu#$ed

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                  sure, but he is also not generalizing. He is specific about one coach.
                  Sure, because it is a specific situation - but he would have voiced it whether it was any other coach in the league

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Magnum View Post

                    Players have a pension, coaches do not.

                    For Jones to get an interview, the Riders would have to be asked for permission.
                    I know teams within the CFL are obligated to get permission to interview potential candidates, does this also apply between the two leagues?
                    Press here to reset

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by The Hold View Post
                      Gainey needs to calm down. Coaches, Assistant coaches, assistant GM's, etc are let out of their contracts ALL THE TIME when they get an opportunity for a promotion. And an NFL job would likely be considered a promotion, or at least something that coaches/GMs have an understanding about with the teams that hire them.

                      And CFL players are let out of their contracts (ie. released) pretty regularly now if they have a shot at the NFL.

                      Not sure what exactly he is complaining about.
                      Teams cannot release a player early from their contract with years remaining on it - that was established last winter.

                      Those players getting released right now are all pending free agents and have no contracts.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Not all coaches get an out, Orlando wasn't allowed to leave Hamilton a few years ago to even be considered for HC. The no out clause was written into his contract. The pension thing is a joke, the average career in the CFL is 4 years even if it is 5 years. Getting say $200 when you are 60 is peanuts, that converts into less then $10k/year if you live till your are 85. So to hold this up as something they have over coaches is peanuts. A head coach is contributing likely 3 to 4 times the amount to his own pension plan because he can afford to.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by dodgeandburn View Post

                          Jonathan Heffney. His shoulder is still fu#$ed
                          https://www.gofundme.com/4ik88e0
                          #keepthepromise

                          Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by mikejth View Post
                            Not all coaches get an out, Orlando wasn't allowed to leave Hamilton a few years ago to even be considered for HC. The no out clause was written into his contract. The pension thing is a joke, the average career in the CFL is 4 years even if it is 5 years. Getting say $200 when you are 60 is peanuts, that converts into less then $10k/year if you live till your are 85. So to hold this up as something they have over coaches is peanuts. A head coach is contributing likely 3 to 4 times the amount to his own pension plan because he can afford to.
                            So is a QB, starting OL (especially Canadian), a standout WR, a top end DL, etc. Meanwhile there are 2 - 3 coaches that do as well.
                            #keepthepromise

                            Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                              So is a QB, starting OL (especially Canadian), a standout WR, a top end DL, etc. Meanwhile there are 2 - 3 coaches that do as well.
                              I am not debating that some players have the ability to and most players should contribute to pensions funds outside of the normal CFLPA plan. Right now I believe the number of Canadians are managing their own funds (i.e. no employer plan) is more then 60% of working population. So individuals that imply it is gives players something special over a coach are grasping at straws.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Pull my Finger View Post

                                I know teams within the CFL are obligated to get permission to interview potential candidates, does this also apply between the two leagues?
                                Pretty sure you sign a contract in Canada it is binding in the US.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X