Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's the Chris Jones Extension?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

    Greetings from Portage, Indiana. My daughter and I are in the midst of a cross-continent road trip, from Regina to Halifax to cap the holidays. Hope you all had a good festive season.

    The 2015 Roughriders played their entire season without their starting QB. DD was out before halftime in Week 1. They went on to lose 7 of their first 9 games by a combined 19 points - an average of 3 points per game.

    Week 1 - Lost by 4 pts
    Week 2 - Lost by 2 pts
    Week 3 - Lost by 3 pts
    Week 4 - Lost by 3 pts
    Week 7 - Lost by 4 pts
    Week 8 - Lost by 3 pts

    The back half of the season is where it gets interesting. The team lost 5 of its final 9 games by an average margin of 18 points. They also picked up 3 wins, and lost another game by 3 points.

    Week 11 - Won by 18 pts (Labour Day)
    Week 13 - Lost by 3 pts
    Week 14 - Won by 11 pts
    Week 20 - Won by 4 pts

    The 2018 Roughriders lost the Western Semi Final by 6 points. Many have argued that if the team had its starting QB in that game, they would have won. If having QB1 start and finish a game equals 7 points - If thatís the difference between winning and losing, then letís project that same margin to the 2015 team.

    The 2015 Roughriders win seven of their first 9 games, keep the 3 wins they got in the back half of the season, and pick up an additional win in Week 13. Thatís 11 wins.

    The difference between 3-15, and 11-7 is a healthy and effective starting QB. The difference between losing by an average margin of 3 points, and winning, was having the starting QB behind centre. That logic applies to 2015, and it applies to 2018 as well. Take out the starting QB, and replace him with our third string QB for 14 games - our glorious 12-6 season looks historically bad.
    Imho, QB play really wasn't that bad in '15 I thought the biggest problem was chuckles defence couldn't stop anyone at crucial times.
    Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

      Click image for larger version

Name:	LOLinNaulSmall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	383602

      Have you thought about being a contortionist?
      If you have a football comment to make, I'd love to hear it.

      You said we'd score enough points to win the WSF if QB1 is in the game, instead of our backup. What's so unreasonable about projecting that we would score 4 more points per game with QB1 starting (and finishing) games in 2015, rather than the backup or QB3? This is your exact same argument.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mallard View Post

        Imho, QB play really wasn't that bad in '15 I thought the biggest problem was chuckles defence couldn't stop anyone at crucial times.
        Defence killed us in 2015, that's for sure. Still, it's reasonable to project that if DD starts and finishes in 2015, we score the 4 extra points per game required to turn some of those close losses into wins.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

          Your record is your record and 2015 was 3-15.

          So with that sit back, enjoy the ride and I'll give you special shout out when Jones is extended.
          I'm using the same argument people used to suggest we win the WSF with Collaros healthy. Besides, if the record really is the record, can you say the Riders looked like a 12-6 team in that embarrassing loss?

          Not sure what you mean by giving me a special shout out. I also called for Jones to be extended.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

            I'm using the same argument people used to suggest we win the WSF with Collaros healthy. Besides, if the record really is the record, can you say the Riders looked like a 12-6 team in that embarrassing loss?

            Not sure what you mean by giving me a special shout out. I also called for Jones to be extended.
            Right but you still need to reconcile the cap

            Durant out - 350 removed from the cap removed to IR 200K bonus still on the cap wasted

            Glenn traded half his salary 100k cap removed from the cap

            Messam traded late in attempt to keep team under the cap 40 k

            and we land right up against the cap

            Durant stays healthy - keep Glenn Keep Messam - we are no longer at the cap we are suddenly almot 500,000 over the cap

            so how do you reconcile your cap? Cut half the team at game 9? go 0-9 down the stretch?


            Taman was in a no win situation the Cap hell he created - possibly with board approval had to be fixed - and clearly not by him
            Last edited by Rotor; 01-03-2019, 06:15 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

              I'm using the same argument people used to suggest we win the WSF with Collaros healthy. Besides, if the record really is the record, can you say the Riders looked like a 12-6 team in that embarrassing loss?

              Not sure what you mean by giving me a special shout out. I also called for Jones to be extended.
              It was no 2014 embarrassing wsf loss if thatís what you are asking.
              Last edited by Bigsexydawg; 01-03-2019, 06:19 PM.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TorontoVsEverybody View Post

                If you have a football comment to make, I'd love to hear it.

                You said we'd score enough points to win the WSF if QB1 is in the game, instead of our backup. What's so unreasonable about projecting that we would score 4 more points per game with QB1 starting (and finishing) games in 2015, rather than the backup or QB3? This is your exact same argument.
                Still laughing at your first contorted argument.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Rotor View Post

                  Right but you still need to reconcile the cap

                  Durant out - 350 removed from the cap removed to IR 200K bonus still on the cap wasted

                  Glenn traded half his salary 100k cap removed from the cap

                  Messam traded late in attempt to keep team under the cap 40 k

                  and we land right up against the cap

                  Durant stays healthy - keep Glenn Keep Messam - we are no longer at the cap we are suddenly almot 500,000 over the cap

                  so how do you reconcile your cap? Cut half the team at game 9? go 0-9 down the stretch?


                  Taman was in a no win situation the Cap hell he created - possibly with board approval had to be fixed - and clearly not by him
                  Rotor spin again....
                  Durant stays healthy, Glenn got paid less the $200K for the full year, not the incentive laden contract he had as a backup, which paid him more money when he played.

                  Not denying they had big contracts, some of which they needed to deal with in terms of ongoing operations, but to imply that they couldn't be addressed is bogus. In 2013 they were $17K over with a star laden team. Every year teams make adjustments, this year Jones had to do the same thing with players he signed.

                  Comment


                  • lock this one up . its done

                    Comment

                    Announcement

                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

                    Announcement

                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X