Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders name former Eskimos player personnel man Paul Jones as Assistant GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paul Jones has the title - assistant GM while Murphy was assistant VP of football operations. Maybe they do have some different responsibilities. I wonder why they changed the title? Maybe it had to look like a promotion from Edmonton?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post
      Paul Jones has the title - assistant GM while Murphy was assistant VP of football operations. Maybe they do have some different responsibilities. I wonder why they changed the title? Maybe it had to look like a promotion from Edmonton?
      Paul Jones' contract was about to expire. So no title change necessary really. It was entirely his choice.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Pencilvester View Post

        I never said that. I have nothing but respect for PJ, heís great at what he does, still donít understand why he left when there was a handshake deal in place on an extension.
        you have distinctly and repeatedly been saying nobody has been providing talent for Maas -

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post
          jones is assistant GM while Murphy was assistant VP of football operations?
          Judeaín Peoples Front vs The Peopleís Front of Judea

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post
            Paul Jones has the title - assistant GM while Murphy was assistant VP of football operations. Maybe they do have some different responsibilities. I wonder why they changed the title? Maybe it had to look like a promotion from Edmonton?
            I think it is so that O'Day no longer has to share the title. Were they both Assistant VP Football Ops last year or did O'Day get a title bump from Administration?
            This would put Paul Jones under O'Day too would it not, where Murphy and O'Day were equal in title?
            “We come to recognize that playfulness, as a philosophical stance, can be very serious indeed; and moreover, that it possesses an unfailing capacity to arouse ridicule and hostility in those among us who crave certainty, reverence, and restraint."

            - Friedrich Nietzsche

            Comment


            • Jeremy Oday was VP of Administration. Murphy was VP of player personnel.

              https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...neup-1.3366214

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Vegas View Post

                You have a short or selective memory on your comments. These are yours from a couple pages back. What picture do they try to paint?

                Well he didn't do very good last year when we didn't have a single rookie capable of cracking the starting lineup, or from '06 to '11 when we were consistently bringing in the worst talent in the league year after year.

                as soon as Hervey became the GM, we suddenly started seeing two or three breakout players every season, which was not the case before.
                The point I was trying to make with those posts is that there were lean years when PJ was being asked to do it all on his own, I belive we had more scouts in the Hervey era than under any other regime so there was less pressure on PJ at that time. But last year, Iím not sure how much we were investing in scouting or if we were back to placing the entire burden on PJ again because the results of last years rookie crop were disaterous. Our rookie of the year nominee was Money Hunter, a DB who filled in for a handful of games when starters were out and who struggled quite a bit at times, especially early on. He might turn out to be fine eventually, but he was no Ladler, Zylstra, Walker or McCoil (our previous ROY nomenees).

                I dont by by any means think PJ is a poor scout, but as an organization, the Eskimos didnít do nearly a good enough job of recruiting last year.

                Comment


                • I am ecstatic that Paul Jones has come to the Riders. We won't miss a beat with Murphy moving on. Both are extremely talented guys .

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post
                    I am ecstatic that Paul Jones has come to the Riders. We won't miss a beat with Murphy moving on. Both are extremely talented guys .
                    With Jones there will be a lot less noise in doing so.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                      With Jones there will be a lot less noise in doing so.
                      I enjoyed Murphy's interviews.....a very entertaining personality.

                      Murphy is an elite recruiter. Jones is very good as well. Riders are still in good hands.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RAJ47 View Post

                        I enjoyed Murphy's interviews.....a very entertaining personality.

                        Murphy is an elite recruiter. Jones is very good as well. Riders are still in good hands.
                        Murphy can find guys, but I suspect Paul Jones' finds will require less "vetting". Murphy is a guy who will throw out a pile of players that may be good, but still needs to be whittled down.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by go riders View Post

                          Murphy can find guys, but I suspect Paul Jones' finds will require less "vetting". Murphy is a guy who will throw out a pile of players that may be good, but still needs to be whittled down.
                          That is hard to say.
                          Personally, I think with the new leagues coming aboard....all recruiters will be working much harder finding and vetting players.

                          Comment


                          • I doubt there will be any real difference with Jones as opposed to Murphy. Odd that it hasn't been mentioned but CJ and Murphy often were not on the same page, and this needs to be fixed or no improvement will be possible.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DJR View Post
                              I doubt there will be any real difference with Jones as opposed to Murphy. Odd that it hasn't been mentioned but CJ and Murphy often were not on the same page, and this needs to be fixed or no improvement will be possible.
                              Your post contradicts itself. First you say there will be no difference....then you follow it up and say that CJ and Murphy weren't on the same page.

                              So if Jones and Jones will be on the same page, would that not make a difference relative to last season? Or are you assuming this relationship will be exactly the same as the last between Jones and Murphy?

                              Or maybe it's just another indirect shot at CJ who you clearly don't like...that's possible too.
                              Waiting for the big ole splash...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

                                Your post contradicts itself. First you say there will be no difference....then you follow it up and say that CJ and Murphy weren't on the same page.

                                So if Jones and Jones will be on the same page, would that not make a difference relative to last season? Or are you assuming this relationship will be exactly the same as the last between Jones and Murphy?

                                Or maybe it's just another indirect shot at CJ who you clearly don't like...that's possible too.
                                I wrote-
                                CJ and Murphy often were not on the same page, and this needs to be fixed or no improvement will be possible
                                Is this not perfectly clear? I realize attacking the poster rather than addressing the issue is the favorite pastime around here but it's hard to see where you even read the post.

                                So just to clarify. CJ and Murphy often were not on the same page, if CJ and Jones are not on the same page as well, Jones will find his job harder than it should be.

                                As for not liking CJ, I have no idea what that could have to do with the issue mentioned other than giving you an excuse for some drama.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X