Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders name former Eskimos player personnel man Paul Jones as Assistant GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

I'm inclined to agree with what we see (like Maas and his on field antics), and what we hear behind the scenes with his coordinators. Sunderland is starting to look not great, and then Mr Ketshup man firing a winning GM because winning isn't important.

It's not as bad as the Montreal situation, but it is catching up.

In all, it warms the cockles and sub-cockle areas of my heart.
    When a 21 year employee of an organization jumps ship fast that says a lot IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

I don't think its a healthy environment in Edmonton right now. Just my guess.
      Strange things are afoot at the Double-E.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

Strange things are afoot at the Double-E.
        The only real problem is Rhodes, hes a complete fraud and everyone knows it. Jurys still out on Brock for now.

Comment

• CJ says Paul Jones is the best at what he does.

Comment

• P Jones>Murphy...great addition

Comment

• Originally posted by Dollar View Post
              P Jones>Murphy...great addition
              I was happy with it being a wash but if he truly is better than Murph what a coup for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                CJ says Paul Jones is the best at what he does.

Not according to pencilvister. Couldnt find maas what he needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post

Not according to pencilvister. Couldnt find maas what he needed.
                  I never said that. I have nothing but respect for PJ, hes great at what he does, still dont understand why he left when there was a handshake deal in place on an extension.

Comment

CJ says Paul Jones is the best at what he does.

Did Chris Jones force Murphy out cause he wanted Paul Jones? Of course nobody is gonna admit that but I think if Chris Jones has to choose (and he may have) - he would pick Paul Jones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pencilvester View Post

I never said that. I have nothing but respect for PJ, hes great at what he does, still dont understand why he left when there was a handshake deal in place on an extension.
                      You have a short or selective memory on your comments. These are yours from a couple pages back. What picture do they try to paint?

Well he didn't do very good last year when we didn't have a single rookie capable of cracking the starting lineup, or from '06 to '11 when we were consistently bringing in the worst talent in the league year after year.

as soon as Hervey became the GM, we suddenly started seeing two or three breakout players every season, which was not the case before.
                      Last edited by Vegas; 01-12-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fullhouse View Post

Did Chris Jones force Murphy out cause he wanted Paul Jones? Of course nobody is gonna admit that but I think if Chris Jones has to choose (and he may have) - he would pick Paul Jones.
                        It would be interesting to know if he tried bringing P Jones with him originally in 2015 instead of Murphy (because of their history) and it just didn't work out at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vegas View Post

You have a short or selective memory on your comments. These are yours from a couple pages back. What picture do they try to paint?

Well he didn't do very good last year when we didn't have a single rookie capable of cracking the starting lineup, or from '06 to '11 when we were consistently bringing in the worst talent in the league year after year.

as soon as Hervey became the GM, we suddenly started seeing two or three breakout players every season, which was not the case before.
                          Tillman and Reed have anything to do with that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

I don't think its a healthy environment in Edmonton right now. Just my guess.
                            I wouldn't call it volatile, but it's definitely "shaky". Having said that, Paul Jones has been around that organization a long time and seen a lot of bad times. He can do his job effectively through any turmoil. Personally, I think the Jones/Jones connection really played into this. I think if you have an established relationship with someone like these two and you see things in a similar way, it makes going to work a heck of a lot more fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugoagogo View Post

I wouldn't call it volatile, but it's definitely "shaky". Having said that, Paul Jones has been around that organization a long time and seen a lot of bad times. He can do his job effectively through any turmoil. Personally, I think the Jones/Jones connection really played into this. I think if you have an established relationship with someone like these two and you see things in a similar way, it makes going to work a heck of a lot more fun.
                              From Chris Jones' perspective, hiring Paul Jones is a no brainer as he went on the record just a few days ago saying Paul Jones is the best in the CFL at what he does. Pencilvester asked me earlier in this thread if I know why Paul Jones moved over to the Riders after having a handshake agreement with Brock Sunderland, and they even had agreed upon, it seems, money. I don't have a definitive answer on that one. Only thing I can think of is that Paul Jones and Chris Jones go way back, really like and respect each other, and have a trust built up. Doesn't hurt that they've already worked together and won a Grey Cup. So perhaps when Murph balked at a pay cut and Chris Jones asked Sunderland permission to talk to Paul Jones (something Sunderland says he always grants), it was a perfect match for both men.

Comment

From Chris Jones' perspective, hiring Paul Jones is a no brainer as he went on the record just a few days ago saying Paul Jones is the best in the CFL at what he does. Pencilvester asked me earlier in this thread if I know why Paul Jones moved over to the Riders after having a handshake agreement with Brock Sunderland, and they even had agreed upon, it seems, money. I don't have a definitive answer on that one. Only thing I can think of is that Paul Jones and Chris Jones go way back, really like and respect each other, and have a trust built up. Doesn't hurt that they've already worked together and won a Grey Cup. So perhaps when Murph balked at a pay cut and Chris Jones asked Sunderland permission to talk to Paul Jones (something Sunderland says he always grants), it was a perfect match for both men.
                                Yeah, they are gonna work well together. The Riders have certainly improved their recruitment team. Considering everything that has been going on this year with the new league diluting the player pool and so many CFLers signing in the NFL, finding those "diamonds in the rough" is going to be more crucial than ever before - and that's something that Paul Jones does really well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X