Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders name former Eskimos player personnel man Paul Jones as Assistant GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

And people say the fine art of tampering is dead.
    In the CFL, "if you ain't tamperin, you ain't tryin."
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I thought it was the Odell Willis signing. But yea that was funny.
      You are right. I couldn't remember which flamboyant DE it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

In the CFL, "if you ain't tamperin, you ain't tryin."
        I believe the idea is to do it without being blatant about it. Hervey wasn't very ninja about it. But, he is SMRT.

Comment

I believe the idea is to do it without being blatant about it. Hervey wasn't very ninja about it. But, he is SMRT.
          Oh yea, Ed definitely was overzealous in his excitement to announce Odell.

Comment

And people say the fine art of tampering is dead.
            Tampering goes on in every pro sports league. Just crafty about it.

Comment

SMRT and so damned good looking, especially with that fedora.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

SMRT and so damned good looking, especially with that fedora.
                Don't forget Ed's appearance in the NWA Straight Outta Compton video from back in the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

Tampering goes on in every pro sports league. Just crafty about it.
                  and its nonsense - simple rule - at the end of the season allow a team 30 days to negotiate exclusively with their player the pending free agent - during the next period of time until he actually can sign a contract - require the interested team to advise the current team that they will be contacting the player and force any contract offer to be provided to the team in writing allowing them full ability to match or better

the day of free agency - player signs wherever he wants - all bids private -

Comment

• Originally posted by mikejth View Post

Makana Henry played out of Burlington, somehow I suspect that it doesn't fall under Sask's territorial exemption area, but could be wrong....doubt it though. As for other recruits, any player that isn't drafted can be recruited as they are in essence a free agent.

Tommy Streeter, wide receiver riders traded for, Fred Bennett defensive back riders traded for, Brandon MacDonald another international defensive back the riders traded for. You were the one who said the riders didn't do it. And now you are saying it was to long ago it doesn't matter. The best is your comment about success rate, I wasn't even talking about the quality of the player or if they should have been kept. The issue was the fact the riders made trades despite you saying they didn't.
                    Henry wasn't playing junior ball, so there is nothing to discuss about territorial exemption. He was playing in a "semi-pro" league.

Comment

• https://www.620ckrm.com/2019/01/08/2...KUppmk.twitter

WHAT DOES THE ADDITION OF PAUL JONES MEAN TO YOUR PERSONNEL DEPT.?

Chris Jones: “You’ve gotta have great players. If you go around the league and ask who some of the top personnel guys are, his name is always brought up. And it has been for years. He’s been in Edmonton a long time and he and I have a great relationship. When it became evident that we weren’t going to be able to work things out with Murph, we called and got permission to talk to Paul. Paul was interested in talking, and coming to join us. I think it’s a good fit on both sides.”

Comment

• So according to CJ, it was on to Paul Jones right away after the Murph thing fell thru.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

So according to CJ, it was on to Paul Jones right away after the Murph thing fell thru.
                          Sounds like a natural fit when you consider their history together. This is a great move for the team...and to be honest I like him better than Murphy. A better fit for our team IMO.
                          Waiting for the big ole splash...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

Sounds like a natural fit when you consider their history together. This is a great move for the team...and to be honest I like him better than Murphy. A better fit for our team IMO.
                            One thing I didn't know until I talked to someone with the Riders. Paul Jones brought Chris Jones into the league in the first place way back when. And I heard Jones say the same thing yesterday on CJME too, that Paul Jones brought him into the CFL. They get along very well. And Paul Jones knows what Chris Jones wants and needs in players. Here's another big thing when it came to the Paul Jones hire. Paul Jones is considered trustworthy and that also factored into it. So lots of factors. Trust. Better fit as you say. Working capital as they worked together and Paul Jones brought CJ into the league. They also had to agree on financial compensation and that played an important role as Murph balked at a 10% pay cut, a cut everyone else had to take. Including CJ.

Heck, to a man, everyone I've talked to with football experience tells me it's an upgrade with PJ. I just thought he'd never leave Edmonton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

One thing I didn't know until I talked to someone with the Riders. Paul Jones brought Chris Jones into the league in the first place way back when. And I heard Jones say the same thing yesterday on CJME too, that Paul Jones brought him into the CFL. They get along very well. And Paul Jones knows what Chris Jones wants and needs in players. Here's another big thing when it came to the Paul Jones hire. Paul Jones is considered trustworthy and that also factored into it. So lots of factors. Trust. Better fit as you say. Working capital as they worked together and Paul Jones brought CJ into the league. They also had to agree on financial compensation and that played an important role as Murph balked at a 10% pay cut, a cut everyone else had to take. Including CJ.

Heck, to a man, everyone I've talked to with football experience tells me it's an upgrade with PJ. I just thought he'd never leave Edmonton.
                              I don't think its a healthy environment in Edmonton right now. Just my guess.
                              Waiting for the big ole splash...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

I don't think its a healthy environment in Edmonton right now. Just my guess.
                                I'm inclined to agree with what we see (like Maas and his on field antics), and what we hear behind the scenes with his coordinators. Sunderland is starting to look not great, and then Mr Ketshup man firing a winning GM because winning isn't important.

It's not as bad as the Montreal situation, but it is catching up.

In all, it warms the cockles and sub-cockle areas of my heart.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X