Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best of luck Sam Eguavoen, but Willie Jefferson not doing NFL workouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of luck Sam Eguavoen, but Willie Jefferson not doing NFL workouts

Standout Saskatchewan Roughriders linebacker Sam Eguavoen is drawing plenty of suitors from south of the border.

The 25-year-old defender has 10 workouts scheduled with NFL teams with possibly more to come. Eguavoen worked out for the Miami Dolphins this week to begin the tour.

Any players who were in the CFL during the 2018 season became eligible to showcase their talents for teams down south on Dec. 1.

Eguavoen had the best year of his three seasons in the CFL during 2018. He made 81 tackles, three sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception and scored two defensive touchdowns. Since signing with the Riders in 2016, Eguavoen has 159 tackles, 14 on special teams, four sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception and two majors in 38 games.

After four seasons at Texas Tech University where Eguavoen improved his production each season, the Red Raiders product put up some eye-popping testing numbers at the schoolís pro day, running a 4.67 40-yard dash, 4.34 short shuttle, 7.15 three-cone, 38.5-inch vertical and 10-foot, five-inch broad jump at an even six-feet, 227 pounds. Despite those results, Eguavoen went unselected in the 2015 NFL Draft and spent that season out of football.

Eguavoenís ability to be stout against the run, quick sideline-to-sideline and cover from the linebacker position fits well with the the current trends in the NFL, which have seen it become more like the CFL game.

Sportscage CFL insider Justin Dunk from 3 Down Nation.com had some news on Rider free-agents to be Willie Jefferson and Sam Eguavoen during his weekly appearance on the show.

Dunk is reporting Jefferson is not going to attend any NFL workouts and has said if a team is truly interested in having him play for them, then they will have to offer him a contract. Jefferson, who was the Riders nominee for most outstanding player and top defensive player this season, has spent time with the Houston Texans and Washington Redskins.

As for Eguavoen, he will be busy. Dunk says he has already worked out for the Miami Dolphins and has at least 10 more stops planned.

Like Jefferson, Eguavoen was a key piece to the Riders defense in 2018 as he had 81 tackles to go along with three sacks, two forced fumbles and two touchdowns, one of them on an interception return.
    Last edited by Giventofly; 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM.

Interesting that Jefferson is playing a little hard to get with the NFL but if this ends up being good for the Riders then so be it.
    Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post
      Interesting that Jefferson is playing a little hard to get with the NFL but if this ends up being good for the Riders then so be it.
      Ya thatís fine that he is playing hard to get but to me heís saying heís better than having to workout for any team and just deserves to play in the nfl

Comment

If Sammy gets a nfl contract I wonder if we try and bring Jeff Knox JR. back. He really didn't seem to fit in with the Argos!

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
          If Sammy gets a nfl contract I wonder if we try and bring Jeff Knox JR. back. He really didn't seem to fit in with the Argos!
          I think we've been holding on to a few linebackers who might fill in nicely at WIL, including both Francis and Judge (I know he has taken MAC reps, but I think he'd do great at WIL - much like Eguavoen).

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonR View Post

I think we've been holding on to a few linebackers who might fill in nicely at WIL, including both Francis and Judge (I know he has taken MAC reps, but I think he'd do great at WIL - much like Eguavoen).
            We've got a lot of LB's. SamE would be missed, but WillE would be the harder guy to replace.

Comment

Think that means Jefferson loves it here and loves playing for Jones so if NFL comes calling he will go but he isnít actively going to try and leave what for him is a good situation

Comment

Originally posted by Merle View Post

Ya thatís fine that he is playing hard to get but to me heís saying heís better than having to workout for any team and just deserves to play in the nfl
                My quick read of that news (if true) is that Jefferson has no problem with continuing his career in a place he knows he's valued - if no NFL team's talent evaluation staff are sufficiently swayed by the body of work he has already put on film, there's no cause for him to travel from town to town running drills that he's already done ad nauseum on a couple of NFL 'workout' tours in the past. Good on him. If he gets his shot, I wish him the best - NFL money makes a real difference in the lives of the players who get there, and WJ has given a lot to the Riders and the CFL to earn any chance he might get. If he returns to the Riders, that's obviously a cause for great celebration for us as fans of this football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Merle View Post

No argument here. His film should speak for itself.
                  Last edited by McGreen; 12-08-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Didn't Jefferson basically say this last time as well?
                    #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
                      Didn't Jefferson basically say this last time as well?
                      Nope. That was Duron Carter who did.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                        Think that means Jefferson loves it here and loves playing for Jones so if NFL comes calling he will go but he isnít actively going to try and leave what for him is a good situation

Video speaks for itself about why maybe Willie J. loves it here and why we love him right back. Worth the watch especially if you've been touched by cancer in any way. Which let's face it, we all have.

Comment

Wishing Sam E nothing but the best in his pursuit of making the NFL , I hope all your dreams come true! If by chance he comes back to the CFL , hope itís with the Riders. Willie loves it here , Iím sure he will sign a new deal with the Riders .

Comment

Love Willyís position. ďIf youíre serious offer me a contract, if not, go
                            pound sand!Ē

Comment

Would definitely prefer Jefferson to return versus Sam E given the choice between the two. It’s easier to replace Sam E.
                              Waiting for the big ole splash...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X