Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Murphy done with Riders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rotor View Post

I suspect Murph has a cozy place to land -
    Agreed. Otherwise, you take the cut until you have something better.

Comment

• John Murphy was compensated very well by the Riders. Other employees were laid off. Many of those that stayed accepted pay cuts. On the surface, it appears that Mr. Murphy was not happy with his overall position with the Riders and determined it was time to move on. So be it.

I think the football operations salary cap is a step back for th e CFL. Teams that are having success are being dragged down by the teams that are not capable of growing their business. However, in this particular case, IMO, the proposed pay cut to Murphy is only one of the issues that led to Murphy leaving. His salary still would have been at the upper end for his position in the CFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGreen View Post

I am not sure how we really know who identified which players. All of the management team is reliant on contacts and scouts to point them in the right direction as well.
        Again, it's my opinion of what I see in what Jones did in his stints in Edmonton, Toronto and Calgary to here and what those transitions had in common, and what those teams looked like post Jones. Jones always brings a strong D wherever he goes and recruits very well in those positions. IMO, Jones takes complete ownership of that. Not saying that Murphy didn't find any, but IMO the lion's share of it falls on Jones.

Comment

• Murphy signed up with the Riders as part of the "team" in 2015 and it appears, at least from what has been reported, that he now believes his role is bigger than the "team". So Jones, as he has done before with others who feel they don't want to be part of the "team", wished him luck and let him go. As other teams have done when someone leaves, the Riders will move on and not miss a beat. Jones has contacts, O'Day has built contacts, we will be just fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

So, if the cap for 2019 is (hypothetically) $5M, but our current contracts for 2019 are $6M, what do you propose we do? Ignore the league mandated cap?
            For one, the league should have given teams more time to phase in the administration cap, at least 2 or 3 years. It is foolish to require teams to adhere to new financial restrictions immediately, like next month or next year. Obviously the staff have employment contracts. The new rules will force some teams to renege on those contracts.

Like any business, your top performers want an increased salary, not forcing them to do the same job for less money. No company wants to risk losing their top salesman, top performers, which an across the board salary cut could result in.

That being said, I'd prefer to cut positions, release low performing individuals or lower value positions whose job isn't intrinsic to the company's bottom line (i.e. Community Outreach Liaison) rather than losing your top salesman or manager.

Unfortunately, I believe this administration cap is just window dressing, an owner's negotiating ploy for the upcoming CBA negotiations...with the Riders inevitably losing some good people in the back wash. Perhaps some of the league governors who voted in this cap were jealous of the Riders' largess, and wouldn't mind if they got kicked down a notch.

Comment

• Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post

For one, the league should have given teams more time to phase in the administration cap, at least 2 or 3 years. It is foolish to require teams to adhere to new financial restrictions immediately, like next month or next year. Obviously the staff have employment contracts. The new rules will force some teams to renege on those contracts.

Like any business, your top performers want an increased salary, not forcing them to do the same job for less money. No company wants to risk losing their top salesman, top performers, which an across the board salary cut could result in.

That being said, I'd prefer to cut positions, release low performing individuals or lower value positions whose job isn't intrinsic to the company's bottom line (i.e. Community Outreach Liaison) rather than losing your top salesman or manager.

Unfortunately, I believe this administration cap is just window dressing, an owner's negotiating ploy for the upcoming CBA negotiations...with the Riders inevitably losing some good people in the back wash. Perhaps some of the league governors who voted in this cap were jealous of the Riders' largess, and wouldn't mind if they got kicked down a notch.
              Certainly a part of this football operations cap is that other CFL operations despise the fact that the Riders are no longer the poor weak team that everyone enjoyed taking advantage of any longer. I sincerely hope that the league does not reintroduce some form of revenue sharing, I would have to strongly consider not buying tickets. I have zero interest in helping pay for other teams overpriced qb's as they beat us, as occured in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                A great talent evaluator. There's no question about it.

And because he left on his own accord, there are no cap issues surrounding this. Can't believe I have to even write that due to the football ops cap.
                I don't believe that. I am guessing that Jones and he talked and he was having a hard time deciding how to reduce counts, so Murph put up his hand. Guess we will know for sure when we see his replacement come in or not have one appear.
                #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

• Perhaps Murphy felt he was already working at a discount.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murphy View Post

No he didnít fail miserably, he did as well as Huff or Walters did in the first three years of their regime at finding a QB, thatís not failing miserably.

Maybe he didnít have a big hand in finding the new recruits we have had the last few years but we have no way of knowing that so as of right now this does not look like a good move for the team
                    I am not sure how you figured he did as well Huf. Burris and Huf grew apart so Huf traded him and brought Glenn in to bring Tate along, but Tate quickly got surpassed by Bo Levi on the depth chart. So Huf went from Burris to Glenn to Bo Levi without any real loss of in production. But then again I can because Glenn didn't win a cup with Calgary, I can see how you think they weren't successful.

Comment

• I doubt that as he already came from Calgary. The Riders would have had to pay him handsomely to bring him here from a winning organization to a losing one at that time.

Comment

• So how much would he have made? North of $300k?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

I don't believe that. I am guessing that Jones and he talked and he was having a hard time deciding how to reduce counts, so Murph put up his hand. Guess we will know for sure when we see his replacement come in or not have one appear.
                          IMO, Murphy is going to be replaced by a scout. No need for a 3rd GM hanging around with his junk out.

Comment

• Originally posted by commodore View Post
                            I doubt that as he already came from Calgary. The Riders would have had to pay him handsomely to bring him here from a winning organization to a losing one at that time.
                            Looks great on a resume turning a team around. I would take that role if offered even if the money is similar.

Comment

• Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

IMO, Murphy is going to be replaced by a scout. No need for a 3rd GM hanging around with his junk out.
                              not the only team that has 3 by any means. Though I would assume that is soon to be a thing of the past.
                              #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotor View Post

hmm let me hit you with what has been thrown in my face for three years now

can you say NEG LIST CYCLE

Jones and crew were hired in December - my posts explaining how the neg list works, what the cycle of it for QBs and other positions were etc were made that January was made in direct response to those who were creating unrealistic expectations - and yes I was preaching it would be a three year cycle

I also said it would take two years just to dig themselves into a position where any decisions they made or mistakes they made were 100% on them and not the previous regime

Here comes the grand we can't rebuild quickly enough because our neg list takes 3 years to mature. This has been debunked so many times it isn't even funny, the neg list is made up of players:

1. currently in college, that won't be available for 2 or 3 years, as they become available new ones are put on the list. They likely make up about 20 to 30% of the players on the list.
                                2. a large % of players likely 50% are likely graduating class players. Of 750 schools playing football that lets assume worst case only 300 of them graduate professional quality players. That is approximately 6000 football players available every year. NFL drafts 224 each year lets assume another 200 or so sign as undrafted rookies. That leaves what 5500 potential players....out wait we forgot about the CFL negs lists....assume worst case scenario every neg listed player was graduating that is only another 360 players that takes the number down to 5200 potential players. But again there is another group in the graduating class that hasn't been factored in, those that realize football is done, let's assume the is 60% of remainder, that leaves the riders to scout through 2000 players that are graduating.
                                3. then there is the 20% to 30% that are either fringe NFL players or the wish list players some one like Johnny football. Or the guys that were cut from the NFL the previous year.

There are to many examples of Jame Franklin or Cam Newton's or Knox guys who have marketed themselves or were 1 of 100+ players that showed up at a free agent camp. None of these guys showed up on anyone's radar until they made the contact.

Neg list maturing is an excuse used for failures at scouting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X