Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A GC game was played... and nobody cared.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GC game was played... and nobody cared.

I don't think I have experienced this kind of apathy for a Grey Cup in all my years of watching the GC... everyone hates the Stampeders... nobody cares about the Redblacks. There were no stories... no fanfare and no interest.

And from what I hear, the game sucked.

God help the league.

If you were in Edmonton you would know how very wrong your post is.

Comment

Originally posted by THE RULK View Post
      I don't think I have experienced this kind of apathy for a Grey Cup in all my years of watching the GC... everyone hates the Stampeders... nobody cares about the Redblacks. There were no stories... no fanfare and no interest.

God help the league.
      Actually I disagree - the stadium was full and rocking. Here in Calgary there was lots of interest - Bars were pretty full from what I heard. I watched it from home and thought not only the game but all the pre game build up was excellent. Maybe not much interest in Saskatchewan but lots of interest elsewhere from everything I hear.

Comment

God help the league.
        You didn't watch the game? How do you know there was no interest?

The stadium had 55,000 people in it and there were tons of stories and story lines and interest.

Comment

Pointless Thread.

Comment

God help the league.
            Agreed, I didn't really see anything happening in my circle of friends and family- years past there were a few grey cup parties to attend- this year... nothing.
            I didn't watch the game- so I can't say with any certainty that it was a suckassed game- but from what I have heard, it was a ****ty game.

Originally posted by Clambake View Post
            Pointless Thread.
            ...for a pointless Grey Cup.

Love the CFL, but man- this year's GC seemed a little lacklustre.

Comment

You didn't watch the game and cared enough to start this thread about no one caring?

Comment

The boy and I watched it, but we weren't super engaged. A lot of it had to do with the field. It really sucked that it had to take place on that skating rink, but what can you do.

Comment

I think there's obviously fanfare and excitement around the Grey Cup every year regardless of who's in it or where it is. That's undeniable. I think where the OP is going with this is saying that there wasn't anything above and beyond the regular hoopla. Each year there's typically a reason for everyone to tune into the big game - whether it's a story line around someone's "last game", or a deep rooted feud between the teams or this being someone's redemption game. This year had no stories. It was two average (yes, I said average, don't @ me) CFL teams playing a football game. It didn't even feel like a championship game. It felt like a regular season game played at a different stadium with a big half time act.

Good on the teams who made it to the big game and congrats to the CFL on another successful season. Hopefully next year there will actually be a GC game that will entice people to watch it.

Comment

heard this morning TV ratings were down 23% ? Only 3. some odd million people tuned in. Compared to over 11 mil when the riders were last in it in 2013.

Let's be honest, I dont want to sound like a homer, but facts are facts, anything the riders are involved with is good for the league....

EDIT : here's the link about it http://3downnation.com/2018/11/26/gr...g-23-per-cent/
                    Last edited by mh88; 11-27-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

God help the league.

This was my 10th grey cup in a row and other than 2013 this was by far the best crowd and best festival . most venues were crowded and lined up not sure where your observations are coming from ?

Comment

Originally posted by Clambake View Post
                        Pointless Thread.
                        If the OP doesn't come back and give some kind of specifics, or discuss the counter points being made by those who actually attended, then yes, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

This was my 10th grey cup in a row and other than 2013 this was by far the best crowd and best festival . most venues were crowded and lined up not sure where your observations are coming from ?
                          I echo this sentiment
                          #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Except there seems to be people that agree. I thought this GC was like any other that the Riders are not in, except the best sized crowd in a while. I enjoyed it (well, except my ABC wish didn't pan out) Long live the CFL and hopefully that's not just me.
                            ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Judging by the tv #s 23% less people cared about the game than last year. I watched the first half closely but it was evident who was going to win after the return td. The 2nd half i napped through most of it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X