Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL Free Agents (2018-19)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
    https://3downnation.com/2019/02/11/a...chell-sources/

The Toronto Argonauts are planning to open the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment vault for quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

According to sources, the Argos have formulated a plan to pitch Mitchell on the opportunity of becoming the face of the franchise in Canadaís largest city and are preparing a contract with a dollar amount to match: in the $750,000 range.

MLSE officially took over ownership of the Argos in December 2017, adding to the sports portfolio that already included the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC. MLSE clearly wants stars to highlight championship-contending teams.

Each of those franchises has used elite players in building title-calibre squads. The Reds signed Jozy Altidore and Sebastian Giovinco which led to an MLS Cup in 2017. Last July, the Leafs inked John Tavares to a seven-year, $77 million contract to go with Auston Matthews making the Buds favourites to hoist the Stanley Cup. Seventeen days later, the Raptors traded for Kawhi Leonard and at the trade deadline pulled off another large deal to get Marc Gasol for an NBA title run.

Bill Manning has served as Toronto FC president since 2015 and added the Argos role prior to the 2018 season. The Double Blue won a Grey Cup in 2017, but for all the talents Ricky Ray has displayed on the field, outside the white lines heís an unassuming guy. Ray has ridden the Go Train to games at BMO Field and few if any one recognize the man with four Grey Cup rings.

Mitchell has a winning pedigree: his 69-15-2 regular season win-loss record and .802 winning percentage is the top mark in CFL history (former Argo signal-caller Doug Flutie is second at .746.) Two Grey Cup victories, two CFL MOP awards and a vibrant personality: adding Mitchell fits the current MLSE portfolio in the biggest media market in the country.

The Argos could build a flashy new campaign around Mitchell who is in the prime years of his pro football career and use the MLSE machine to put the NFL-calibre quarterback in front of passionate Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC fans. Mitchell has the chance to create a buzz in Toronto unlike any other player in the CFL while ensuring the Argos compete for the large silver trophy each season.

The Argos already have a solid core of receivers with S.J. Green, Armanti Edwards, Rodney Smith as well as Canadians Malcolm Williams and Llevi Noel. But Mitchell doesnít need elite pass catchers: he was the first quarterback in league history to throw for over 5,000 yards without having one single pass catcher reach the 1,000-yard plateau in 2018.

Even though paid ticket sales were up at BMO Field last year, Mitchell could further increase the profile of the Argos in Toronto Ė a boost both the team and the league could capitalize on.
    So... will either Franklin or Multiname shake loose if this happens? Not sold on Multi but I'd be more comfortable with Franklin than another year of Collaros on IR.
    You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.

Comment

• I am betting Carter lands in BC.

Chances are he will be their discount roll of the dice.
      #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFiO View Post

So... will either Franklin or Multiname shake loose if this happens? Not sold on Multi but I'd be more comfortable with Franklin than another year of Collaros on IR.
        Franklin would pretty much need to unless he takes a massive trim.
        #keepthepromise

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Kinda what I'm thinking, too.
          You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

I like Harris but that's just too high for him.
            The bar is set. Harris is going to be 6-650. They have the competition in at minimum the Esks.

Meanwhile, teams like Winnipeg and Hamilton who have guys locked in are giggling. They are looking at guys like Jefferson, Ellingson and Micah Johnson and grinning. They know how they will be spending their anticipated cap increase.
            #keepthepromise

Comment

• Wow everything I'm reading about free agency says we are losing our own guys and doing very little ourselves.

I thought the "succession plan" was supposed to be a good one, but it's not going to work if we don't have some top-notch players

​​​​​​No Willie Jefferson, no Roosevelt, no quarterback? Not good

Toronto and BC going to ask us for money when their revenue isn't sufficient?

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                Wow everything I'm reading about free agency says we are losing our own guys and doing very little ourselves.

I thought the "succession plan" was supposed to be a good one, but it's not going to work if we don't have some top-notch players

That is only if you listen to the Debbie Downers prediction on this site.

Comment

• Originally posted by inspector7 View Post

That is only if you listen to the Debbie Downers prediction on this site.
                  Maybe so, but it seems to be coming from posters that I wouldn't normally put in that category

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                    Wow everything I'm reading about free agency says we are losing our own guys and doing very little ourselves.

It will all come down to quarterback. If we are stuck with a schlub at that position its going to be a long year. All the rest is window dressing.
                    Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

• @rodpedersen

I could see Calgary *ponying* up $700,000/yr to sign Bo Levi Mitchell. But if they donít, Sask will.
                      Forget about the Argos!

Comment

• Naylor is reporting BC didn't have permission to talk to Carter ahead of free agency.
                        Hervey should be fined for tampering if that is true.

Comment

• I read that Rod tweet too. Iím still struggling to see any reason for him to leave Calgary unless it was for the NFL dream. This is why Iím convinced the Stamps donít even need to match an Argos offer. If they get up to $700k I think heís locking in and will leave $50k on the table as a hometown discount for the club.

Ill be shocked if he signs with another CFL team. Elated but shocked.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
                            Naylor is reporting BC didn't have permission to talk to Carter ahead of free agency.
                            Hervey should be fined for tampering if that is true.
                            Typical Ed lol

Comment

• If Carter to BC does happen he will have a great year for them this year. And if history holds the wheels will come off at some point in 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

I can't see him taking a haircut as other teams could be interested in him as a starter and paying him like one. If I was Franklin, "I would say pay up or cut me. In fact, cutting me is preferred."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X