Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is legit NFL interest in Bo Levi Mitchell for 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

Say what you want about Marshall but he was smart enough to opt for the continental muffin and coffee breakfast instead of steak and eggs resulting in his hiring.
    Yes, I must concede Milanovich was much too brazen by ordering a breakfast more expensive than Hoppy's.
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

No that's the job of the businesses of Regina and other long time team supporters......aka the "community" in community owned team. They can play the role of the rich NCAA alumni and probably have historically done a much better job of it than the private owners.
      That's quite a stretch comparing long term supporters in Sask to NCAA alumni. Actually there is a bit of that in Sask. Like when Stantec offered Flory a job if he stayed in Regina in the off-season. Mind you that wasn't not a farce, Flory was qualified with his education to take the job. I don't know if you were here then but there was a lot of whining about how unfair that was. So you suggest that's the job of business in Regina, yet when it happens others complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

The problem is teams like the Riders, Esks, and Bombers don't have private owners and can't hide their shenanigans. So lots of finger waving gets done from the other places acting like everything is above board there.
        Ya. Tell me that David fricken Bradley is paying players under the table. Here? Show me.

Comment

• Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Ya. Tell me that David fricken Bradley is paying players under the table. Here? Show me.
          WE all know that Lions players are wrapping LOL dolls in an underground factory below BC Place for some serious extra chingaling, so don't you dare get all offended on us...

Comment

• Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Guess you skipped the part where I said private owners can hide it

Comment

Guess you skipped the part where I said private owners can hide it
              Bradley is too cheap to do that, was my point. There's just no way.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

And I hope we are using whatever we can to get info to guys or gain an advantage come free agency. Personally I’ve always been an advocate of breaking the cap by $50-90k but I think I’m in the minority there. Just win baby.
                  It’s not cheating, use it!
                  Press here to reset

Comment

• I guess Mitchell could play a bit of a long game too re where he signs. I thought that any team that drafted a youngster in the last year or two would be out cause there would be no chance for him there. But what if you go to a place like that where the young guy has struggled a bit like in Arizona or Buffalo? You could just look for a chance to play and look good. If you do, even if that team is committed to their draft pick, what you show in game conditions could lead to better contract with another team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

No that's the job of the businesses of Regina and other long time team supporters......aka the "community" in community owned team. They can play the role of the rich NCAA alumni and probably have historically done a much better job of it than the private owners.
                      https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...ing-off-season

Roughrider struggling to find work in Regina during off-season

Takoby Cofield wanted to spend the CFL's off-season working in Regina, but has been having trouble finding a job.

MARK MELNYCHUK, REGINA LEADER-POST
                      Updated: January 10, 2019
                      Takoby Cofield wanted to spend the CFL’s off-season working in Regina. Instead, he’s been twiddling his thumbs while waiting for the phone to ring.

Cofield, who finished his first CFL season as an offensive lineman with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, took to Twitter on Wednesday to voice his disappointment about having little success finding employment in the city.

“Up to a total of 20 apps as of today… you want better for the Regina community yet you have Riders that are trying to contribute and be an asset and it seems like we are an afterthought once the season is over,” wrote Cofield.

Cofield, who is originally from Tarboro, N.C., recalled being told by teammates that there would be plenty of job opportunities for a Roughrider during the off-season. Cofield returned home when the Riders’ playoff run ended in November, and began sending out applications the next month. He’s spoken to some employers, but has yet to get an interview.

“It’s just been real quiet,” said Cofield during a phone interview on Wednesday from the States.He has been applying for a little bit of everything, including sales jobs. What he’d really like to do though is work with kids. Cofield has degree in African American studies and a minor in education from Duke University. He can’t teach because he doesn’t have the right work visa, but would still like to worth with youth.

In particular, Cofield said he’d like to work with kids in Regina’s Indigenous community. Cofield said that since many CFL players from the U.S. come from low socioeconomic situations, they could be someone First Nations youth could not only look up to, but relate to.

“There’s a whole Aboriginal community that could use support, that almost needs support from this team,” said Cofield.

On Twitter, Cofield said one of the places he applied was the Paul Dojack Youth Centre.

“I know the position I am in as a professional athlete, and I would love to do nothing more than to help,” he said.

Cofield said players make an investment in the community when they come to the city, and he wished people would keep them in mind when the season ends.

“Once we lost, it was kind of like everybody just went back to their normal lives and acted like we didn’t exist anymore,” he said.

Cofield doesn’t want Reginans to think he dislikes the city. He could have spent the off-season in the U.S., but wanted to live here year-round with his girlfriend.

“Honestly, I loved it there. I really liked Canada,” said Cofield, who comes comes from a smaller rural city, and said Regina reminded him a lot of his home.

Cofield credited the Riders with pointing players in the right direction if they want to seek out work in the city — but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get a job.

One reason he thinks it may be difficult for a Rider to find employment is the perception that CFL players make more money than they really do. After Canadian and American taxes, then the exchange rate, a good portion of a rookie’s modest salary goes out the door. Cofield said most rookie salaries in the CFL are between $55,000 and $65,000 a year.

Cofield claims he isn’t alone. He said two other Roughriders wanted to stay in Regina during the off-season, but had to leave because they couldn’t find work. He said many other players in the CFL are experiencing something similar.

“I’m not the only one. There’s guys on other teams that are actually going through the same exact thing,” said Cofield.

Comment

• Cofield's case really is too bad when you read about what he wants to do and make a difference in the community. Not everyone has the ambition to go down that path. I hope he and others like him find something.

Comment

Cofield's case really is too bad when you read about what he wants to do and make a difference in the community. Not everyone has the ambition to go down that path. I hope he and others like him find something.
                          I don't think the job market in Regina is particularly good right now. I know a few people who are looking and are finding it frustrating.
                          Waiting for the big ole splash...

Comment

Cofield's case really is too bad when you read about what he wants to do and make a difference in the community. Not everyone has the ambition to go down that path. I hope he and others like him find something.
                            When Weston was with the riders his off season job was in the riders Albert street office helping find jobs for those players who were looking

Comment

• Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

When Weston was with the riders his off season job was in the riders Albert street office helping find jobs for those players who were looking
                              True. A few years ago a lot of guys stuck around and got jobs in the oil patch. Sadly as we all know those jobs are not there now

Comment

True. A few years ago a lot of guys stuck around and got jobs in the oil patch. Sadly as we all know those jobs are not there now
                                The economy is still in the crapper and it's definitely noticeable here in Saskatchewan.
                                Waiting for the big ole splash...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X