Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonathan Rose suspended for Grey Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Calling for Ottawa to sit or cut Rose is hilarious. This is pro sports, they’re trying to win the game. The league is responsible for disciplining players for their on-field actions, not the teams.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by CougarDave View Post
      If he and the CFL PA appeals the decision, I hope Ottawa does the right thing and cuts him. In no way should he be allowed to play in the Grey Cup after that despicable event.
      While I don't condone what transpired I would hardly call it despicable

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by CougarDave View Post
        If he and the CFL PA appeals the decision, I hope Ottawa does the right thing and cuts him. In no way should he be allowed to play in the Grey Cup after that despicable event.
        Yeah right! Glad your not in charge of a pro sports team. There'd be no players left. Lol

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post
          Calling for Ottawa to sit or cut Rose is hilarious. This is pro sports, they’re trying to win the game. The league is responsible for disciplining players for their on-field actions, not the teams.
          but teams should discipline them for off the field?

          teams should be disciplining their players for what their players do ON the field or else the TEAM is SUPPORTING the action of the player

          In this case Ottawa is saying - We know everyone else who touched a ref was suspended but we feel OUR player was justified in his actions and should not receive the punishment

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by riderfan-ontario View Post
            Something to consider is that the refs aren't wearing helmets and pads like the players are, so when they get pushed around, they are more at risk of an injury. That being said, I agree with the suspension, but it seems inconsistent when a player is suspended for pushing a ref, but not for a vicious shot to the head of another player, which arguably could result in a more serious injury. This could almost be interpreted as the league being more interested in protecting the refs than the players.
            Not to mention that the players are for the most a lot more physically imposing than the officials regardless of whether they are wearing equipment or not

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by coralharbour View Post

              Isn't that his job? Officials don't expect to get pushed by players.
              Nor should they. They are the law on the field and you don't shove the law.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Rotor View Post

                but teams should discipline them for off the field?

                teams should be disciplining their players for what their players do ON the field or else the TEAM is SUPPORTING the action of the player

                In this case Ottawa is saying - We know everyone else who touched a ref was suspended but we feel OUR player was justified in his actions and should not receive the punishment
                The refs and the CFL handle on-field discipline. All the teams are equally subject to this on-field discipline. There are rules and procedures. Off-field discipline is a different matter, with teams having different stakeholders and different standards.

                Ottawa is not saying that at all. What they are saying is that they will follow on-field discipline as it’s meted out. So if Rose appeals and is not suspended for the Grey Cup, they should play him. The team is neither supporting or condoning, they’re just following the rules as they’re applied.

                A team suspending a player for an on-field action when the league doesn’t (or it’s in appeal limbo) would be a first, as far as I know. I’d be pretty mad if my own team did that.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post
                  Calling for Ottawa to sit or cut Rose is hilarious. This is pro sports, they’re trying to win the game. The league is responsible for disciplining players for their on-field actions, not the teams.
                  ...Ha ha...No kidding...Not sure what people expect...

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    The League should do an expedited Appeal hearing, similar to other leagues, so that it can all be sorted out prior to Sunday. And if nothing else, it causes a disruption to his practice, film study and nightlife during the week, if he needs to be dealing with an appeal, and that is at least some form of punishment.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Rotor View Post

                      they should not - classless idiots if they do

                      heck if the league had done nothing - they should have chosen to let him sit themselves -
                      Can't see any son of Hugh Campbell putting integrity over winning

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by steve04 View Post
                        The League should do an expedited Appeal hearing, similar to other leagues, so that it can all be sorted out prior to Sunday. And if nothing else, it causes a disruption to his practice, film study and nightlife during the week, if he needs to be dealing with an appeal, and that is at least some form of punishment.
                        Agreed. Expedite the appeal process, and if he's guilty, he should miss the game.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          The refs step in to break up a skirmish and get the game back on track. Part of what makes this effective is that their mere presence there tells the players to cut it out, and if they don't and/or if the ref is contacted then you are out. Same in the NHL, except it's worse there because you have to get between 2 active scrappers, but their intervention still means the same thing; CUT IT OUT!!

                          Rose got pancaked by a Ham player after making a penalizing tackle on a player going out of bounds, and the ref moved into the proximity of a downed Ham player where there was still some skirmishing. Rose gets up and tries to rejoin the fray, pushing the ref down because of the downed player. Whether the actual pushing was intentional or not, it's irrelevant because he intentionally got up and attempted to rejoin the skirmish after the ref stepped in...THAT part shows his intent. I'm okay with all of this, and obviously the league is too; they want to send a message that contacting a ref in those situations is verboten.It is for this reason (Rose trying to get back in there after the ref showed up) that I hope the league upholds the suspension; no one forced Rose to come back into the mix...when he saw the ref there he should have walked away and calmed down, knowing that further scrapping might result in an ejection in it's own right (and that has happened several times in the last few years).


                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

                            The refs and the CFL handle on-field discipline. All the teams are equally subject to this on-field discipline. There are rules and procedures. Off-field discipline is a different matter, with teams having different stakeholders and different standards.

                            Ottawa is not saying that at all. What they are saying is that they will follow on-field discipline as it’s meted out. So if Rose appeals and is not suspended for the Grey Cup, they should play him. The team is neither supporting or condoning, they’re just following the rules as they’re applied.

                            A team suspending a player for an on-field action when the league doesn’t (or it’s in appeal limbo) would be a first, as far as I know. I’d be pretty mad if my own team did that.
                            appealing a decision is legally saying you disagree with the facts of what occurred and/or feel the discipline is inappropriate under the circumstances


                            how is that NOT condoning what your player did?

                            if they were allowing on-field discipline to be meted out they would simply accept the ruling

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by riderfan-ontario View Post

                              Agreed. Expedite the appeal process, and if he's guilty, he should miss the game.
                              Oh he's guilty, no question.
                              All the appeal does is buy him some time so he can maybe play in the GC and serve his 1 game suspension next season.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by ONE ARMED BANDIT View Post

                                Oh he's guilty, no question.
                                All the appeal does is buy him some time so he can maybe play in the GC and serve his 1 game suspension next season.
                                Not disagreeing with you but his serving the suspension next year lessens the severity of the penalty...he should have realized that he had to be more careful when you're in a playoff game NOT to get those.
                                Last edited by flyguy58; 11-20-2018, 12:16 PM.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X