Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football operations cap specifics starting to come out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football operations cap specifics starting to come out

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-s-kickoff-...jinx-1.1210874

Dealing with a cap crunch

With the elimination of five teams from the playoffs, teams are getting around to the business of having to deal with the incoming salary cap for coaches and football administration, a final version of which will be approved this off-season.

The Eskimos released four coaches last week, partly due to the elimination of a couple of jobs. Staffers in Saskatchewan were told this week of pay cuts that will be necessary to make sure the Roughriders are under the cap, a process that is likely going across the league as teams are eliminated.

To say that coaches and GMs are unhappy about all of this is an understatement, with many quietly claiming the result will be significant defections from a coaching pool that was already struggling to attract quality candidates, given that CFL salaries are significantly lower than those of the NFL or major college jobs and there are no pensions.

The league will not release details of how this cap will be implemented, but here is what we do know:

- The coaches and football administration cap of $2.738 million will be applied to 28 jobs, 11 in coaching and 17 in football operations.

- The cap will be split into two separate amounts that will be administered separately to coaches and GMs under two different amounts.

- When a team fires a coach who has term remaining on his contract, once every five years it will be exempt from having the remaining dollars on that contract count against the cap. Beyond that, amounts remaining on contracts for all other fired coaches must be amortized over five years.

- The league is also bringing in a football operations cap which will affect things like scouting budgets. Off-season mini-camps will be a thing of the past, replaced by extended rookie camp where teams will be allowed to have unsigned players participating.

A couple of the immediate effects of this will be that more head coaches will be expected to take on the additional role of offensive or defensive co-ordinator as a cost-saving matter.

In addition, when a head coach is fired itís likely that a good part of his staff will be retained because teams canít afford to swallow the remaining amounts on a bunch of contracts.

Argo GM Jim Popp said during the news conference announcing Trestmanís dismissal that this will be the case in Toronto.

I can't see anything good coming from this. The league didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they cut it right off...

Comment

Originally posted by Beels View Post
      I can't see anything good coming from this. The league didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they cut it right off...
      There is no way we would have been able to move out Taman/Chamblin with these measures. We would have been stuck.

Comment

Breaking news

Saskatchewan Roughriders seeking billets and car pool opportunities for 2019 coaching and football ops staff.......
        HAS-BEEN FORMER RIDERFANS PICKEM CHAMPEEN

Comment

Jim Daley called and is excited for the upcoming opportunities.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

AAF makes it harder to find players.

So CFL says, "Hey, lets make it harder on ourselves to find players!"

Comment

How many of the coaches that are now in the CFL would have opportunities in the NFL and major colleges? Probably not very many, so I don't see a major exodus and if you really want to coach and expand your experience to get noticed by the NFL and major colleges, wouldn't you still take a CFL job if offered?

Comment

Something had to be done to stop the mushrooming expenses. Save the teams from themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                  Something had to be done to stop the mushrooming expenses. Save the teams from themselves.
                  That's exactly what happened Smokey. In one team's case coaching salaries exceeded gate revenues.

I don't like it but it's similar to the introduction of the salary cap in 2007, which we as Rider fans wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post
                    How many of the coaches that are now in the CFL would have opportunities in the NFL and major colleges? Probably not very many, so I don't see a major exodus and if you really want to coach and expand your experience to get noticed by the NFL and major colleges, wouldn't you still take a CFL job if offered?
                    This is part of the issue... This doesn't affect the "old dogs" this just means we will see fewer new, fresh talented coaches trying to take the next step in their coaching career... We have less space to sign one, and fewer dollars as well.

My question is, when they say the cap will be split with part being allocated to Coaches and part to Football Ops, how does that affect guys like Jones or 2017 Austin, who held coaching and Football ops positions. could you simply say he is getting paid 100k to coach and 600k to be GM, knowing you will need more funds for your coaches then you will for football ops?

I dislike the cap on personnel... If I want to have 100 coaches, and pay each one 10k... why can't I?? If I choose to run 3 coaches and pay each 750k does that make sense?... Meet our President/GM/HC/DC, oh and also meet our VP/OC
                    On and also meet our ST coach/Equip Manager/Trainer.... he also is our backup medical staff (he took his emergency first aid course at the local community center, it's legit)....

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

That's exactly what happened Smokey. In one team's case coaching salaries exceeded gate revenues.

I don't like it but it's similar to the introduction of the salary cap in 2007, which we as Rider fans wanted.
                      I am not opposed to a cap, I just think imposing a cap on both # of personnel and Salary is extreme, and will ultimately hurt the brand. People like Bagg/Glenn whom I think would make great player coaches turned position coaches will see their chances dashed by this type of move.

Also... why eliminate mini-camps?? Sometimes I feel the lazy GM's in this league have more pull (likely more time to bitch to the Commish) then the GM's that break their backs to find quality players and bring them into the league for our enjoyment.

Tell me again what players Kavis has recruited to the CFL? All that raw talent he has brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I am not opposed to a cap, I just think imposing a cap on both # of personnel and Salary is extreme, and will ultimately hurt the brand. People like Bagg/Glenn whom I think would make great player coaches turned position coaches will see their chances dashed by this type of move.

Also... why eliminate mini-camps?? Sometimes I feel the lazy GM's in this league have more pull (likely more time to bitch to the Commish) then the GM's that break their backs to find quality players and bring them into the league for our enjoyment.

Tell me again what players Kavis has recruited to the CFL? All that raw talent he has brought in.
                        I agree with everything you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                          AAF makes it harder to find players.

So CFL says, "Hey, lets make it harder on ourselves to find players!"
                          Not just players, but coaches. What decent coach is going to walk into a job, where the HC got fired, but you need to keep his guys?

LOL - what a joke... not sure who is making these decisions but this is horrendous.

Comment

This really is dumb. With one league starting up this year and potential of one next, the league should be doing everything possible to attract and recruit

Comment

Just like the salary cap, this is for the good of the league. The teams are just competing against each other for most of these guys anyway. And especially with the riders, their number of football people have skyrocketed and is that fair to the other teams that don't have the financial resources?

I'm not sure I would have put a limit on the total number of guys you could hire, but I think the salaries are fair game.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X