Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL adding 8th official for Division finals and Grey Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL adding 8th official for Division finals and Grey Cup

1. David William Naylor‏Verified account @TSNDaveNaylor 8m8 minutes ago
      Eighth official initiative came after several days of discussions with all nine clubs and is being considered an interim measure. Issue of quarterback safety will be reviewed again in off-season. #CFL
    2. David William Naylor‏Verified account @TSNDaveNaylor 12m12 minutes ago

Hearing the CFL will add an eighth official to the field for this weekend’s division finals and Grey Cup game. His only responsibility will be to watch for any blows delivered to the head or neck of a quarterback. #CFL
    Alberta boy, Rider fan

Can someone who is or has been a referee explain to me the mechanics of how this helps with the quarterback safety issue?

With an 8 man crew you are not going to have an extra referee in the backfield. How does this help?

Comment

there currently is no mechanics for an 8th official. that's a new concept. I would imagine he'd be standing behind the QB probably 10 ft and will be keeping his eye on him...
      Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum...5-head-hunters

If the eighth official sees a blow to the head or neck of the quarterback that has not already been flagged, he will advise the Head Referee, who can then assess a penalty for roughing the passer. The eighth official will have no other responsibilities and cannot suggest or call a penalty for other infractions. The role of the eighth official will be filled by someone who has experience as a head referee.

“After the Grey Cup, we will assess this change as part of a complete review of what we are doing, and what else might be done, to protect quarterbacks and improve health and safety for all of our players,” Ambrosie said.

“The addition of an eighth official may prove to be an interim step. It may become part of a broader package of reforms which may include changes to the mandate of the Command Centre. That will be determined by a process that will include our Canadian Football League Players’ Association, our Rules Committee, our officials and our governors. The process of improving player health and safety is very important to us and it never ends.”

Comment

it makes me wonder about how the Head ref feels about this?
          Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

Why not just use the command center?

Comment

It's a good move for now. I doubt there'll be any QB headhunting anyway what with the extra attention this week.

Comment

What's the problem? I see this as a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                  Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

Agreed. Putting a third official in the offensive backfield where no mechanic has been developed yet will probably cause more problems than it may fix.
                    Command centre can easily see a high hit before the next play is blown in.

Comment

You mean use the technology already put in place?

Comment

No kidding.
                        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Was just reading this on Leaderpost. Solid move for immediate action.
                          #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Because that would take more details to implement. This is black and white and can be done immediately, and shows immediate action to a big concern. In the off-season they can better step through a permanent process. Playoffs really isn't the time for that.

I think this was a fabulous action.
                            #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                              He should be happy as he no longer has to get his knees dirty.
                              Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X