Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes would you like to see in the new CBA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post

I can't see that being done. Players want less not more.
    That's why it's called a negotiation.

Comment

- I'm in the ridiculously small minority, but I'd like to see game day rosters brought down to 40. Add 2 as healthy scratches, so 42 total.
      - Lower the ratio. 5 starting Canadians and 15 roster. (Important if Halifax actually starts up)
      - 10 PR players, and a minimum of 2 Canadians at all times on the PR
      - QB counts as part of the ratio (CDN or American)
      - 3 year maximum for CBA, which would end after 2021, coinciding with the TSN extension.
      - Harsher penalties, fines, and suspensions for the CFL's drug testing policy and head shots.
      - CFL to crack down harder on teams trying to hide players on the Injured List. From my understanding this has started already, but it's not enough IMO.
      - Get rid of the live mic games.
      - Increase minimum salary to at minimum $75k
      - Increase injury compensation by a couple of years, so that guys like Hefney don't have to pay out of pocket for an injury sustained on the field.

I don't see the cap rising by much, unless of course the League minimum does rise (only rose by $5k last time though), so waiting for the next media deal (not just tv) may have to happen.

Comment

The CBA negotiations will be very tough because ownership is strapped by the have not and mismanaged teams. If the league was driven by the types of results produced by Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg then we might well end up with some form of labour stoppage with the players being much more militant and unified. Fortunately for the owners, the players are keenly aware of the precarious finances of BC and the eastern teams and have always been willing to capitulate to the league in the end. The shortness of a pro football career and lack of professional options for all but the elite talents make the choices extremely difficult. For this reason my heart goes out to the players in the CFL and I think a lot of the league's charm is found in the connection the fans feel with the players because they are no different than most of us. Most are extremely dedicated young men who love their craft and just want to make a decent living. Unfortunately, they play an extremely dangerous sport and face long term health issues from the punishment they take.

I hope the players get a fair deal in terms of livable minimum salaries and pension and health benefits. I would not want to see the Canadian roster requirements diluted any further while there are still 9 teams, recognizing some compromise may be needed if we add a tenth team. The league pays lip service to player safety but does nothing substantive. Headshots have not been eliminated as the supposed penalties are a joke. I would think a system of suspensions should be installed for head shots, whether called appropriately in-game or in subsequent film review by league officials post game. For example; first headshot draws a max fine; second draws a one game suspension, then two games etc... Headshots adjudged to be deliberate would draw multi-game suspensions dependant upon severity. I also believe that making teams play games with only 4 days rest in between is extreme and each team should be limited to say only one of those occasions per season. It would also be mandated that the team playing on 4 days rest should not be playing a team coming off a bye week. The latter team's advantage is too extreme in those situations.

We have one Championship game a year at the Grey Cup. Why not enshrine the special nature of this game by establishing a set day for the game to be played ie the second Sunday of every November will be Grey Cup day. That way the game would be played each year as early as the 8th and as late as the 14th of November. If possible it would be nice to mandate a two week break between the Division Finals and the Grey Cup similar to the Super Bowl. This would allow myriad more marketing opportunities to hype the game, allow the teams to play the game relatively healthy and well prepared, and allow last minute fans more time to make travel arrangements to go to the game. Working back from when the Grey Cup will be held each year, the schedule maker can move up the start of the season accordingly.

Lets hope for a fair and early agreement being negotiated . the players have more options this next season with the Alliance and any threat of a long labour fight might push potential new players to that league.

Comment

My 0.02.

1 Increased training camp time. I'd like to see a longer training camp in particular to prevent the usual sloppy early season play. This seems particularly important given the end of contact during in season practices.

2 Competitive pay. More demand for top players.

3 Canadian players. Unlike many here, I'd prefer to increase roster and practice roster numbers at expense of US players. Sure they may take more time to develop but as we've seen this year with late round Hamilton rb and wr, there's no reason why locals can't replace low level import roster fillers at a minimum. League should be concentrating on top imports.

4 Impose clear rules and discipline. Players need to know where they stand and dirty dealers need to be pushed out. But football is still a contact sport...

5 CBA needs to coincide with tv deals, as suggested above.

6 Cap on coaching and management staff. Either increase to a realistic level or eliminate it

Last edited by Soylent; 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM.
          CBA please.

Comment

Originally posted by Arco Solo View Post
            [/B]

This is already in place or are you meaning if you have significant injuries you can only take off of your practice roster after the trade deadline and if you run out of players then too bad?
            not for players not under contract with anyone. That is how Drew Tate made it on to our roster for the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheathead Guy View Post

No - it would be a movement of SMS cap.
              Say if it was a hit from a Winnipeg player then the Bombers would lose $60,000 from their SMS, and the Riders would gain $60,000.
              This would allow the Riders to sign a new player to replace the injured player and not worry about being over the cap.
              I like this idea. Hurtful to the guilty team and a bit of cap relief for the team with the injured player.It puts the onus on the teams to keep their asshats in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

As we saw when Ottawa came into the league, the number of starters needs to drop for a few years after expansion as there were not enough starting calibre Canadians to maintain the status quo.
                When Ottawa came in only 3 of the 16 NATs they drafted would be fulltime starters in the REDBLACKS' first season; Shologan, Deane and Capicciotti. Most of the NATs they drafted were young backups and PR types. Evans didn't become a full time starter until his 3rd year in Ottawa after Shologan and Capicciotti had departed.

Some numbers:
                Out of the 24 players acquired in the expansion draft (8 INTs, 16 NATS):

Year 1 (2014):

Didn't play a game for Ott: 5
                Played minimum 1 game: 19 (6 out of 8 INTs, 13 out of 16 NATs)
                Started 1 game or more: 12
                Started 10 games or more: 6 (Jonathan Williams, Chevon Walker, Wallace Miles Keith Shologan, J'Michael Deane, Justin Capicciotti)
                Year 2 (2015):
                Didn't play a game for Ott: 11
                Played minimum 1 game: 13 (4 out of 8 INTs, 9 out of 16 NATs)
                Started 1 game or more: 6
                Started 10 games or more: 4 (Moton Hopkins, Keith Shologan, J'Michael Deane, Justin Capicciotti)
                Year 3 (2016):
                Didn't play a game for Ott: 18
                Played minimum 1 game: 6 (1 out of 8 INTs, 5 out of 16 NATs)
                Started 1 game or more: 4
                Started 10 games or more: 3 (Moton Hopkins, J'Michael Deane, Zach Evans)

Year 4 (2017):
                Didn't play a game for Ott: 20
                Played minimum 1 game: 4 (all NATs Lavoie, Albright, Evans & Marshall were the only players left from the original expansion draft)
                Started 1 game or more: 2
                Started 10 games or more: 1 (Zach Evans)
                Year 5 (2018):
                Didn't play a game for Ott: 20
                Played minimum 1 game: 1 (Marshall)
                Started 1 game or more: 0
                Started 10 games or more: 0
                Andrew Marshall who was undrafted but spent time with on BC's PR (0 GP) in 2013 is the only player left from the Ottawa expansion draft. He's played 82 games for the REDBLACKS and has never started a game.

Last edited by Hambone; 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soylent View Post
                  My 0.02.

1 Increased training camp time. I'd like to see a longer training camp in particular to prevent the usual sloppy early season play. This seems particularly important given the end of contact during in season practices.

2 Competitive pay. More demand for top players.

3 Canadian players. Unlike many here, I'd prefer to increase roster and practice roster numbers at expense of US players. Sure they may take more time to develop but as we've seen this year with late round Hamilton rb and wr, there's no reason why locals can't replace low level import roster fillers at a minimum. League should be concentrating on top imports.

4 Impose clear rules and discipline. Players need to know where they stand and dirty dealers need to be pushed out. But football is still a contact sport...

5 CBA needs to coincide with tv deals, as suggested above.

6 Cap on coaching and management staff. Either increase to a realistic level or eliminate it

Nope, won't work. We need more US players and a higher payroll to attract better US talent. We need to reduce the ratio so that top CDN talent that doens't go to the NFL won't be over valued.

More CDNs would mean less interest in the major CDN markets, and certainly will not attract any US TV viewership and revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

When Ottawa came in only 3 of the 16 NATs they drafted would be fulltime starters in the REDBLACKS' first season; Shologan, Deane and Capicciotti. Most of the NATs they drafted were young backups and PR types. Evans didn't become a full time starter until his 3rd year in Ottawa after Shologan and Capicciotti had departed.

Some numbers:
                    Out of the 24 players acquired in the expansion draft (8 INTs, 16 NATS):
                    That's all well and good, but you can't deny that the level of parity and quality of play didn't drop after Ottawa started up this last time. I don't want to see the same thing happen again with a new team on the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

I am pretty against the bolded.

- Why dress 48? the +2 lets you make game-time decisions w/o handicapping your team by dressing a player who ends up being a no-go.
                      - I am from the US and I can not say enough how bad of an idea this is. It is a huge topic within itself. Please CFL, do not do this.
                      - This failed on an epic level in the past. Let's not revisit it.
                      - Hell no. There already are 1 year contract out the arse, so I assume you mean entry contracts. Few players come to the CFL and are ready to start, so you do the leg work and reap no rewards. It also minimizes players dining and dashing. The one year contract has been talked about a pile by fans and media this year, and the consensus seems to be that it is hurting the league because it causes so much movement. The minimum contract should be a 1+ option w/ NFL window in the option. If the player makes it through NFL camp, the option should be extended a second season.
                      Totally agree on most of that Beacon.
                      The +2 gives teams a fudge factor that allows teams to play a game on even terms. This could especially be important for a road team who due to travel could be already on the plane before their roster has to be in then have a player on the 46 come down sick or tweak something in the walk through after arriving at their road destination. The home team could have the same thing happen but still have time to make the roster change to add a player prior to having to submit it.

Back in the day when the CFL used to have a rule that could allow an import to be converted to non-import the ratio was close to reverse what it is today. It was done strictly as a backdoor way to get more imports onto the roster. Teams weren't even thinking gee we're hurting for quality NIs. They were only interested in converting an import to NI to open up another import spot. Don't qualify as a National now and want to be then go out an apply for Canadian citizenship. Once you have your Canadian passport you can be a CFL National. I'd be OK with it under those circumstances.

Not sure where I stand on your last point re: 1 year contracts. The CFL is the only league I'm aware of where players at one time were tied to 2 year deals minimum. For sure though I'm all for the NFL window. I always liked that and knew it was a horrible idea to get rid of it. Really glad they brought it back. It'll be interesting to see now that it's back in place if we see a higher percentage of this monstrous upcoming FA pool inking 2 year deals instead of 1. That will become evident given free agency will kick in 3 months before the new CBA is signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Totally agree on most of that Beacon.
                        The +2 gives teams a fudge factor that allows teams to play a game on even terms. This could especially be important for a road team who due to travel could be already on the plane before their roster has to be in then have a player on the 46 come down sick or tweak something in the walk through after arriving at their road destination. The home team could have the same thing happen but still have time to make the roster change to add a player prior to having to submit it.

Back in the day when the CFL used to have a rule that could allow an import to be converted to non-import the ratio was close to reverse what it is today. It was done strictly as a backdoor way to get more imports onto the roster. Teams weren't even thinking gee we're hurting for quality NIs. They were only interested in converting an import to NI to open up another import spot. Don't qualify as a National now and want to be then go out an apply for Canadian citizenship. Once you have your Canadian passport you can be a CFL National. I'd be OK with it under those circumstances.

Not sure where I stand on your last point re: 1 year contracts. The CFL is the only league I'm aware of where players at one time were tied to 2 year deals minimum. For sure though I'm all for the NFL window. I always liked that and knew it was a horrible idea to get rid of it. Really glad they brought it back. It'll be interesting to see now that it's back in place if we see a higher percentage of this monstrous upcoming FA pool inking 2 year deals instead of 1. That will become evident given free agency will kick in 3 months before the new CBA is signed.
                        Several leagues have rookie minimum lengths. The reason I want to see the option or something is because this is a league different from most others in respect to the fact that most players are signing it with their eye still, understandably, on the NFL. In other leagues, you don't see a lot of one year contracts for a couple reasons. One being they are already in the premium paying leagues, and secondly is that many have some level of guarantee built into it. CFL, IMO, doesn't have the revenue to start guarantying contracts unless the players want to take a salary cut, which is unlikely.

The one big thing I want to see, and this is amplified by teams being handcuffed with tools to help players via support staff for extra training and prep, is a real work week. They need those hours back. They should have done a mid-contract negotiation to buy them back for a healthy raise. Tough for players to say no to that, as they would come out looking pretty bad. But yeah, that needs to come back.

Another is moving the season up. And I mean significantly. I am fine with it as is, but it is clear there is an issue with colder weather, plus it sounds like the NFL is interested in forking over some cash for content if it doesn't overlap their schedule as much. Of course you can bank that a hidden agenda for the NFL there is to give more competition to the new spring leagues without looking like the bad guy in the process. Handing over a fist full of cash for content makes that simple. I know the draft is an issue as is, but there can be a big win there. Have it mid-season. Once the NFL offers have settled and the picture is clearer, then have the draft. Now you are actually drafting top prospects in the early rounds for the most part, and you don't have instances of players being drafted that are still in school (Judge for example). Rookies come in mid-season and sit on the PR, then hit the next year's camp as non-counters. This lets you evaluate players longer, give them off-season things to work on, and see how they progressed in camp. I am sure the odd gem is passed by because there simply isn't enough time to evaluate them. If a few extra Nationals stick fro it, that is a big win. I know many people scoff this, and I get it, but it is an option some leagues use. the AFL, for example, is starting to look at ideas around this.

On a longer / less likely to see shot, I would like to see a change to protect players on the PR a little better. I know this has been something near and dear to Wally for ages. Players say no to the PR spot, boom, free agents. If a drafted player says no to a PR spot, make them ineligible for the duration of the contract they had initially signed (generally1-3 years) or something. Of course, the above idea of an earlier season and a mid-season draft would solve it to some degree, as players would be stuck on the PR for the eoughly half of season.

The Canadian QB should be a counter or something. They need to do something to promote it. If it is not as a ratio counter in some fashion, then offer a SMS break on them and make it a non-roster counter or something. There are options, and fans seem to want it.

And of course the base needs to take a bump. Structure it in brackets, like 20 wage brackets, so the percentage raise gets progressively smaller. This means players are not getting leapfrogged salary wise, and gives nominal to nothing more for players making say >180k

#keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

There is no reason to reduce the number of nationals on the roster or starting. 4 years ago theoretically there were only 56 quality starters, this year there are 63 quality starters. Sure some teams made the mistake thinking Ottawa wouldn't pick up a guy with a contract about to expire, or go after big contract guys. But let's be realistic, SMS changed all of that, Ottawa had a baseline on what was out there. Unlike when the Renegades started out, there was no SMS. So teams were able to stack the deck against the Renegades, want to keep your qb have him signed to hugh contract and leave him unprotected.

Canadian QB being counter isn't going to help unless there is some way of fixing it so it allows for the development time of a qb. If it is roster counting position it will get filled by anyone but a qb. It is doubtful Buckley or Sinopli would have been signed/drafted if they needed to actually fill a position.

Comment

Originally posted by jfrench1011 View Post
                            -
                            - set a deadline for players to join a team to be playoff eligible. tie that to the trade deadline perhaps.
                            If this rule was in place this season, and the Riders would have won the wsf their QB options for the final would be would be Watfor and Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal green View Post

Nope, won't work. We need more US players and a higher payroll to attract better US talent. We need to reduce the ratio so that top CDN talent that doens't go to the NFL won't be over valued.

More CDNs would mean less interest in the major CDN markets, and certainly will not attract any US TV viewership and revenue.
                              Are you Sure?

If Xfl and AAF have success, it's obvious that CFL as it is now will not be competitive for upper to mid range talent. We'll end up with 9 Montreal style rosters.
                              I'd prefer to go after marquee US players, rather than fill a team with mediocre players at expense of locals.

CBA please.

Comment

• - Bump up the salary cap to $6.0M maximum ($5.4M minimum). Set the minimum salary at $62,000 (that's a 15% increase from 2018).

- Include National QB's in the ratio; increase the number of Internationals to 17 (from 16); increase the number of Designated Internationals to 6 (from 4); eliminate the 3 QB roster = 21 Nationals + 23 Internationals.

- A minimum of 3 Nationals should be on the field at all times (offence and defence with 4 on one side = 7 National starters)

- All contracts should be for a minimum of 1 + 1 option year (rookies and veterans). Players can tryout in the NFL Option Window in the off-season before their option year.

- Teams can match the offer for their free agents, retaining the player's rights.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X