Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reynolds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reynolds

How's he doing so far? Four years into the Reynolds reign - how did we do?

Overall record 31-44 including 1-2 in the playoffs with 1 home playoff game and no west finals and no Grey Cup appearances.

Compared to the first four years under Hopson (2005-2008)

Overall record 46-33 including 4-3 in the playoffs with 2 home playoff games, 2 west finals, and a Grey Cup championship.

Hopson 10 year run (2005-2014)

Overall record 106-90-1 including 10-7 in the playoffs with 5 home playoff games, 5 west finals, 4 Grey Cup appearances, and 2 Grey Cup Championships.

Will we get back to that level of sustained success with Reynolds as the CEO?

Reynolds will not get fired for what we do or don't do on the field

</Thread>

Comment

Paging BSD. Lol

Comment

The team has improved 3 years in a row under Reynolds, considering the dumpster fire of a team he took over that is pretty good. Hopson also had some of his success at the expense of sustained success by screwing up the salary cup and getting rid of prospects for a win now approach, its hard to see him continue to sustain that level of success over the last 4 years considering the shape the team was in when he left.

Comment

Reynolds will have a job as long as he wants. He's taken the organization to levels Hopson could only dream of. Funny enough, Reynolds had a major hand (behind the scenes) in the Organization's success for a few of Hopson's final years. I don't know if that's mentioned in Hopson's book or not... Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. furious View Post

Overall record 31-44 including 1-2 in the playoffs with 1 home playoff game and no west finals and no Grey Cup appearances.

Overall record 46-33 including 4-3 in the playoffs with 2 home playoff games, 2 west finals, and a Grey Cup championship.

Overall record 106-90-1 including 10-7 in the playoffs with 5 home playoff games, 5 west finals, 4 Grey Cup appearances, and 2 Grey Cup Championships.

Take out the first two years of Reynolds Reign.... Year 1 was working with the garbage he was left with, and year 2 was the clean up that started.

I'd have to say that Reynolds has made leaps and bounds to taking this team to where we want to be.

Reynolds as CEO has far less to do with the teams on field success, unless it comes to 2014 situation, where Jones all-of-a-sudden decides he doesn't care about winning or even coaching anymore... similar to the attitude of CC before he was ousted.

Reynolds has the ship running right, and Jones has all hands on deck working towards the main goal.

We are 22 - 14 in the two meaningful regular seasons with a 1-2 playoff record (being competitive in both loses. combined 8 differential points in two playoff games), and 1 home playoff.

Comment

Lots of good and bad over the tenure but I fail to see how getting rid of Reynolds, or any of the regime, at this point accomplishes anything. At this point I don't really care what we did three years ago, I care about what we did this year. We were 12-6 which is our best record in a decade. I wouldn't be supportive of making any real changes (other than at QB) at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post
                The team has improved 3 years in a row under Reynolds, considering the dumpster fire of a team he took over that is pretty good. Hopson also had some of his success at the expense of sustained success by screwing up the salary cup and getting rid of prospects for a win now approach, its hard to see him continue to sustain that level of success over the last 4 years considering the shape the team was in when he left.
                2015 really belongs to Hoppy. He left that mess behind and got out of Dodge, while the getting was good. You can also make a very valid argument that some or all of 2016 should also fall on Hoppy because of the complete rebuild needed.

Comment

Reynolds, by all accounts, is doing exactly what he is supposed to do. Hire people to run the football operations and letting them do their job. It's working out pretty good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post
                    indeed

Hoppy got out while the getting was good. His timing was no coincidence
                    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by mr. furious View Post

First of all, way to flog Hopson again. You do it all the time so I guess it's to be expected. Was your post more about Reynold than Hopson? I'd argue the latter the way you framed it.

But since this should be about Craig Reynolds, I'll add to the matter. First of all, Reynolds inherited a woeful Taman team for his first year. The rebuild obviously had to be done and it was going to be massive. And done right or else we were destined to have several years of very bad football in a row, like Winnipeg had to suffer thru. Just like when you ask Jim Hopson, what was the most important thing you did? Hopson answers it was firing Roy Shivers. That's exactly what he said. And thus Hopson hired ET who won us a Grey Cup and a hair away from another.

I'd bet if one asked Craig Reynolds the same thing, he'd likely say firing Brendan Taman and Corey Chamblin. Despite the massive cost we had to eat. I'd agree. They were not the right people to build a program of "sustained success," a term that has been used since Reynold's initial presser when he announced why they were being fired. Then CJ and staff were hired and we managed to poach one of the best personnel men in the CFL in John Murphy away from the rival Stampeders. On top of it all, we managed to retain Jeremy O'Day thru everything which was a big key. JO is a stable driving force in this whole deal. Invaluable.

Despite all of that, Year One under Jones was a struggle what with record personnel moves and a demolition job the likes of which I've never seen in the CFL that was taken to a miserable Rider team. On top of it all, the most popular player on the team, a mainstay of several seasons, Darian Durant, was fading and eventually had to be shown the door. As had other very popular players like Chick, Dressler and Getz. So those two years, the last one under Taman and the first one under CJ, would skew any CEO's won loss record.

Since then, we have been 10-8 and 30 seconds away in the Eastern Final from getting to the Grey Cup. And this year, we went 12-6 with a WSF loss to Winnipeg without our #1 QB being able to suit up because he is concussed far too often and too easily. And with lingering effects. The roster is dotted with young, talented players. The CDN talent has improved a lot. Still key areas to go. But a lot. I fear we are back to Square One regarding the QB position but at the same time, we aren't the only ones in the CFL with this issue. It's likely the defining issue of our upcoming 2019 season.

Football wise, we're clearly heading in the right direction. I put up a poll about this and I believe 94% of you agree with me on this, or something close to that.

Then there is the financial side to things, and our incredible new stadium, ushered in under Craig Reynolds. On that front, he did a magnificent job. Our revenues are sky high. The stadium is incredible. The Rider franchise is the envy of the league when you add all these factors into the equation.

Craig Reynolds has done a very good job. He had a vision, and he had to slog thru the hard parts at first, but he had the cajones to see that aspect of it thru, and he executed his vision. He's most certainly the right man for the job. Far from being a mere "meek accountant" when he as labelled that on here when times were the darkest. He may be a nice guy but the fangs would get bared when needed.

Comment

The bankroll is good..Reynolds is not going anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post
                          Reynolds, by all accounts, is doing exactly what he is supposed to do. Hire people to run the football operations and letting them do their job. It's working out pretty good so far.
                          Yup, after the Edmonton game back in October, I saw a vehicle stuck in traffic with the rest of us with "Official Rider Vehicle" and it made me wonder, which coach would be out of the stadium that quick. Took a peak when I passed on his right and it was Reynolds. It's very obvious he doesn't interfere with Football Ops unless he absolutely has to.
                          Last edited by nikolai_jergen; 11-13-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I am happy with Reynolds. We obviously had some ups and downs early in his tenure...but the whole organization has done very well.
                            Stability is what is needed, now.
                            Last edited by RAJ47; 11-13-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Hopson is a clown...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X