Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

as Per Bud Steen - on Calgary non TD call

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyguy58 View Post

Agree, there's a fine line between discussion and and click bait...no amount of discussion (spelled arguing) is going to change a person's opinion either way. The very fact that people on this site can't agree about what happened, there was obviously the same amount of uncertainty by the reviewers to NOT be able to overturn the ruling on the field.
    Well personally I see value in attempting to have those who appear to be misinterpreting the rules interpret them properly.
    How could that not have value?

Comment

Originally posted by joeb89 View Post
      Here's an interesting shot. Has the defender made contact yet and is the ball over the plane?
      Bear in mind the defender's right hand/arm never does make contact and cruises right by to the ground, as can be seen in another angle.

I don't see how anyone can say either is necessarily the case. I don't think the defender has made contact yet. Even if he has, I don't think the ball is over the plane and as I understand it, if he has made contact this is where the plays ends as this is the earliest point it can be said the receiver established possession, if he did at all. Outside the plane. I don't think it matters whether the defender stripped it or not, which I don't think he did in any event.

The official is supposed to "see" the ball cross the plane. That is not evident.

Ball is not over the line

Comment

Well personally I see value in attempting to have those who appear to be misinterpreting the rules interpret them properly.
        No it doesn't.

; )

Comment

Not trying to start anything with you.Interpretations should be based on fact, as should opinions. And if people still want to misinterpret the rules AFTER the CFL has made a ruling ( and this late in this particular thread), then are you going to ever change their interpretation?

Comment

Not trying to start anything with you.Interpretations should be based on fact, as should opinions. And if people still want to misinterpret the rules AFTER the CFL has made a ruling ( and this late in this particular thread), then are you going to ever change their interpretation?
            Considering some people don’t seem to understand what even constitutes possession...?

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Considering some people don’t seem to understand what even constitutes possession...?
              Again, these are their interpretations

Comment

well over the past how many seasons when the CFL instituted the current set of rules when it comes to pass completions, possession is defined has having control of the ball for a specific period of time (typically 2 seconds and a couple strides) and if they are jumping/falling with the ball onto the field they must survive contact with the field and they cannot use the ball as a cushion or cannot land on the ball with it in their hands.

hands can be under the ball when they hit the field.

if the ball pops out during the initial landing onto the field, it's an incomplete pass. and further to THIS - if they run down the field and then fall and the ball comes out without being touched by the opposition, it is a fumble,

HOWEVER.

the ball/ground cannot cause a fumble. if a Player is running and he is tackled or goes down on his own and the ball hits the ground while in possession in his hands and comes out, that is not a fumble, it is down by contact.

(if you go down and the ball in your hands hits the ground first, it's not a fumble)
                Last edited by Smeelmyfuut; 10-31-2018, 12:58 PM.
                Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

Again, these are their interpretations
                  I would classify it as ignorance of the rules as their “interpretation” is nowhere near to how it actually occurs and is called.

Using a soft word like “interpretation” leads to the inference that their opinion is just as valid when they’re posting things that simply aren’t true. That’s right up there with alternative facts I’m afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                    well over the past how many seasons when the CFL instituted the current set of rules when it comes to pass completions, possession is defined has having control of the ball for a specific period of time (typically 2 seconds and a couple strides) and if they are jumping/falling with the ball onto the field they must survive contact with the field and they cannot use the ball as a cushion or cannot land on the ball with it in their hands.

hands can be under the ball when they hit the field.

if the ball pops out during the initial landing onto the field, it's an incomplete pass. and further to THIS - if they run down the field and then fall and the ball comes out without being touched by the opposition, it is a fumble,

HOWEVER.

the ball/ground cannot cause a fumble. if a Player is running and he is tackled or goes down on his own and the ball hits the ground while in possession in his hands and comes out, that is not a fumble, it is down by contact.

(if you go down and the ball in your hands hits the ground first, it's not a fumble)
                    Wrong. The ground CAN cause a fumble. If a player falls to the ground without being contacted by the opposition and loses control of the ball, it is a fumble. If he was contacted by the opposition on his way to the ground and loses control of the ball, he is down by contact.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Wrong. The ground CAN cause a fumble. If a player falls to the ground without being contacted by the opposition and loses control of the ball, it is a fumble. If he was contacted by the opposition on his way to the ground and loses control of the ball, he is down by contact.
                      right, if there's no contact... thank you for correcting me.
                      Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        He never had complete control. Command got it right.
                        He likely did have control while falling before he hit the turf. However at that point he was probably no longer across the goal line. So in my mind, the correct call was made. Surprisingly so.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post

right, if there's no contact... thank you for correcting me.
                          Maybe you need some sleep to rehearse things.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X