Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge flag idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest problem with the current challenge rule is the time it sometimes takes the command centre to make it's call. They shouldn't be using slo-mo; their decisions should be based on 1 real-time view from as many angles as they have & that's it. None of this sitting there going back & forth in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
      One of the other things that really ticked us off about what happened on the missed RTP was Jones having to burn his challenge flag. And we see that happen to other coaches in other games where you have to fix a blatant miss. So how do you account for that without bogging the game down with challenges like last year? If you get one right, you get another one? I like that but you could still then end up with a bunch late slowing the game down in the 4th.

How about this? You get one per half. But it doesn't carry forward. If you don't use it, it's gone. Still not perfect but allows a coach to challenge a really obvious error and still be ok for the fourth.
      I think differently —- I would prefer the challenge be used to fix the blatant miss rather than on the cheap and chintzy call that requires 2 minutes and several slo-mo replays to catch the “by the look” infraction. One per game should be enough.

Comment

Since the eye in the sky can buzz down and reverse penalty calls but they can't call penalties your idea to err on the side of caution and throw the flag makes sense. Only negative is the marginal ones may get penalized then and be too close to overturn. But if that's what it takes for safety....so be it I guess?
        After the display we had last year with challenges until Ambrosie used a temp fix, I would be reticent to give the coaches more opportunities to try and work the challenges into their game plans. I mean Dickenson, Maas and O'Shea when I say this.

Comment

All of you convinced me. No more adding challenges and risk fishing expeditions. Maybe the command centre should be given authority to call the launching helmet to helmet penalties instead.

Comment

1) get rid of coaches challenges on penalties. Eye in the sky can review. If a coach wants to force a challenge on a penalty then he can use a time out if he has one that he won't get back.

2) get rid of slow motion on replay. If you can't see it at game speed then the ref on the field did his job.

3) limit review time to 30 seconds outside the final 3 minutes of the game. Increase that to 2 minutes in the final 3.

I think the problem with review is the parameters for how the review will be conducted are non existent. So the results are unclear because no one knows how they got their.

Tighten up the process and we might get something that resembles consistency.
            Last edited by imschatz; 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

All of you convinced me. No more adding challenges and risk fishing expeditions. Maybe the command centre should be given authority to call the launching helmet to helmet penalties instead.
              I dont know why they couldnt. They replace the ball when there is a mistake change illegal procedure to an offside or visa versa so why cant they call bladent head shot. Maybe they can if they arnt to busy opening a new bottle of scotch when it happens!

Comment

They should. Keep the players safe and all that...

Comment

Thinking about this since your first post. Maybe the rule should stay as it is and the command centre only gets use of one generic overhead camera shot. That way only the obvious is overturned and fishing would be useless. If that is not enough throw in the 10 yard delay of game penalty when your wrong.

Comment

Just do what US college does.

Comment

Agreed. Command center allowed to call targeting penalties and an ejection for infractions. Make it so

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X