Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The whining from the local press after the Winnipeg game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whining from the local press after the Winnipeg game

I know this was touched on a bit in some other threads, but thought it deserved its own thread. I listened to 980 yesterday and they were all whining about ZC and his very short, terse answers after the game In Winnipeg. Suitor seemed to defend ZC a bit. Then I flipped over to 620 and Pederson is whining about it to and complaining about how he has to be a pro. But then Abou and Mullinder stepped in and defended ZC & talked about all the stupid questions the press asks and how hard it is to be a pro in that situation and how hard a thing it is to do after a bad loss. Anyways, got me thinking....what does everyone else think?

Personally, I think the local reporters are being very whiny and bitchy about it. I quickly got tired of listening to them complain about how ZC was not the perfect interview. I listened to the ZC interviews after the game, and yes he was short and terse with his answers, but the questions are kind of ridiculous and you know as a player he is likely not happy after the performance they just put out. I give the guy credit for coming out and taking the questions at all. He could have easily thrown some people under the bus after this or other games (receivers, oline, offensive coaches, running backs, etc) but he didn't do it - he takes all the stink over the results. Really what do the press expect after a really bad loss and the starting QB getting pulled - I would hope the players (and QB) are going to be pissed.

I would think ZC has to be very tired of all the negative press - all we have heard from the local press and a contingent of vocal fans over the past 6-8 weeks is how our defense and special teams are awesome, but our offense is horrendous. Every time you listen to a sports broadcast in the last month or two, you hear them talking about ZC and how he is not worth what we are paying him and that our offence sucks. I don't care how thick your skin is, that has to wear on a guy. He would probably love to talk about how receivers have ran wrong routes, how they have dropped balls, how guys have missed blocks, how penalties on offense have hurt good looking drives, how our play calling is not always ideal, etc, - but he knows he can't do that and he hasn't done that. Instead, he takes the bulk of the blame for how bad our offence is every day when local press are talking. As much as it is easy to sit here and **** on Collaros, he is not the only problem with our offense.

Anyways, did anybody else hear the sport shows yesterday and what did you think of the perspective of the local press on this issue?

When you're the QB you have to be prepared to wear the goat horns when the offence stinks. It's probably not fair...but it's never going to change. When a QB is doing well that is how he earns his big bucks, when the offence isn't rolling he gets paid his big bucks to be the man and step in front of the torches and pitchforks.

Comment

Originally posted by Redmanrules View Post
      I know this was touched on a bit in some other threads, but thought it deserved its own thread. I listened to 980 yesterday and they were all whining about ZC and his very short, terse answers after the game In Winnipeg. Suitor seemed to defend ZC a bit. Then I flipped over to 620 and Pederson is whining about it to and complaining about how he has to be a pro. But then Abou and Mullinder stepped in and defended ZC & talked about all the stupid questions the press asks and how hard it is to be a pro in that situation and how hard a thing it is to do after a bad loss. Anyways, got me thinking....what does everyone else think?

Personally, I think the local reporters are being very whiny and bitchy about it. I quickly got tired of listening to them complain about how ZC was not the perfect interview. I listened to the ZC interviews after the game, and yes he was short and terse with his answers, but the questions are kind of ridiculous and you know as a player he is likely not happy after the performance they just put out. I give the guy credit for coming out and taking the questions at all. He could have easily thrown some people under the bus after this or other games (receivers, oline, offensive coaches, running backs, etc) but he didn't do it - he takes all the stink over the results. Really what do the press expect after a really bad loss and the starting QB getting pulled - I would hope the players (and QB) are going to be pissed.

I would think ZC has to be very tired of all the negative press - all we have heard from the local press and a contingent of vocal fans over the past 6-8 weeks is how our defense and special teams are awesome, but our offense is horrendous. Every time you listen to a sports broadcast in the last month or two, you hear them talking about ZC and how he is not worth what we are paying him and that our offence sucks. I don't care how thick your skin is, that has to wear on a guy. He would probably love to talk about how receivers have ran wrong routes, how they have dropped balls, how guys have missed blocks, how penalties on offense have hurt good looking drives, how our play calling is not always ideal, etc, - but he knows he can't do that and he hasn't done that. Instead, he takes the bulk of the blame for how bad our offence is every day when local press are talking. As much as it is easy to sit here and **** on Collaros, he is not the only problem with our offense.

Anyways, did anybody else hear the sport shows yesterday and what did you think of the perspective of the local press on this issue?

I listened to some of last night sportscage. I did not hear the post game interview. where they thought ZC was too short with his answers. It does seem to be media drama and I guess we have to expect drama from the media. ZC knows he stunk and I am surprised he even gave any comment. I have heard him in three live mic games this year and you can tell he is truly the leader of this team and Labatte reiterated that in his interview.

C takes the blame and never throws anyone under the bus. He often challenges the questions as well. He did not pull a "Matt Nichols" and cry and pout about the situation. The drama queens in the media will try and poke him this week but he will be fine.

I have trouble listening to the post game show now. They are Jones haters and are on the ledge while we have won seven of the last nine. There is no doubt that our O has not held up its part. But we have players who can make plays and we have seem a solid O at times.

Th was the blue bombers grey cup and their last win of the season so I am okay letting them celebrate

Comment

Originally posted by IMWT View Post
        When you're the QB you have to be prepared to wear the goat horns when the offence stinks. It's probably not fair...but it's never going to change. When a QB is doing well that is how he earns his big bucks, when the offence isn't rolling he gets paid his big bucks to be the man and step in front of the torches and pitchforks.
        Wasn't saying he shouldn't step up - I agree with all that. But do you expect the guy to stand there happy & providing 5 minute in-depth answers to every question after we got smoked and he was pulled? I think he did what was expected - faced the media and take the hit for the team. Consequently, I don't think the local media should be beating him up for his short answers and that fact he wasn't more talkative. Seems to me like they are just being whiny. That was really the question / point of my post - the overreaction from the media.

Comment

There have been many quarterbacks in the history of the CFL and NFL that aren't great interviews after a loss. Look at just the Riders. Austin and Lancaster could be borderline ar$eholes with the media after a loss. Durant could be short and terse but he was mostly Eeyore like in post loss interviews.

Collaros just got his arse handed to him where he throws 3 picks playing with a makeshift receiving and got beat up. The media shouldn't expect Collaros to be there holding court and yuckin it up.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Remember Darian's comment after winning the Grey Cup? While hugging a coach, through tears, I believe his exact words were, "You have no idea what I've been through."

The pressure to win here is one hell of a heavy weight and it's not for everyone. I'm not suggesting ZC can't handle our expectations, and maybe he was more curt than some would prefer. He's almost certainly as angry and disappointed with himself as anyone else is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
              There have been many quarterbacks in the history of the CFL and NFL that aren't great interviews after a loss. Look at just the Riders. Austin and Lancaster could be borderline ar$eholes with the media after a loss. Durant could be short and terse but he was mostly Eeyore like in post loss interviews.

Collaros just got his arse handed to him where he throws 3 picks playing with a makeshift receiving and got beat up. The media shouldn't expect Collaros to be there holding court and yuckin it up.
              What does the media say if Collaros had been jovial? "He doesn't take his leadership role seriously".
              Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post

What does the media say if Collaros had been jovial? "He doesn't take his leadership role seriously".
                The local media are as much name on the door guys just like many fans whether they admit or not.

After a loss it is just another of the wounds to pick at.
                Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Overall, I am very disappointed in the media that cover the Riders. The questions that are asked during the Riderville interviews are completely asinine. Very negative and uninformed. Always trying to stir the pot. Honestly, I don't get how Murray is still allowed to be around the team.

I would have been upset if ZC was happy and talkative after that loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

The local media are as much name on the door guys just like many fans whether they admit or not.

After a loss it is just another of the wounds to pick at.
                    Yes. They hate Jones and they don't even hide it anymore.

Comment

While I don't think it's fair that the qb gets all the blame after a loss or all the glory after a win the reality is that it is the nature of the business. They are the guy that the press see as the focal point right or wrong so yeah after a loss it is them that they turn on. as BSD said other qb's here have been in the same situation and again while it may not be fair they had to take the brunt of the questions from the media. I don't think that will change any time soon. There is no winning as far as the qb's attitude is after a loss. If they are upbeat then they are seen as not caring about it. If they are sullen then they are acting spoiled. It just goes with the job I guess and again I'm not saying that it is right but the media are looking for the good stuff so they are probably not going to change their methods.

Comment

At least he didn't throw teammates under the bus. Short memories, maybe he was short this past game and shouldn't have been. But think back to his comments after the Ottawa game when asked about fans booing.

Comment

Originally posted by IMWT View Post
                          Like he's done every time this year until this past weekend?

Comment

There's no right answer, or right way to answer after a crap kicking like that. The press is clearly fishing for a strong reaction from him, but I'm sure he's used to that. Hence the terse answers. He owes the press nothing more than that.

There's really only one way to make those kinds of interviews stop though.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                              There's no right answer, or right way to answer after a crap kicking like that. The press is clearly fishing for a strong reaction from him, but I'm sure he's used to that. Hence the terse answers. He owes the press nothing more than that.

There's really only one way to make those kinds of interviews stop though.
                              But that is the issue, the media isn't going to stop because controversy is what sells. Human nature as sad as it is loves its dirty laundry and the media know it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X