Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LFA/CFL: Mexico League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pull my Finger View Post
    Iím beginning to wonder if this Mexico/global thing isnít just a legacy move or a distraction by Ambrosie. He knows full well the life span of the CFL commissionaire is only a few years long. The owners will keep him around to work on the CBA and the Halifax file, if he provides sufficient income and entertainment he might last, might not, so is this thing just a pet project to keep the CFL in front of everybody for now?

In my mind I see that scene from the movie Gladiator where he asks... are you not entertained?
    I think in light of the fact we will lose some of the NCAA recruits to the AAFL (short term, or long term yet to be seen), we need to open our minds to the idea of some hidden gems coming from beyond another border... some of these guys might be well suited to playing the 3 down game more so then the NCAA or NFL 4 Down games meta... like being deemed "too short to be a pro"... some of those NCAA guys came up here and made a REALLY good thing for themselves... most recently my mind turn to Banks, K. Moore, and Chris Williams... all "shorter" receivers that have done well in the 3 down game.... let's also not forget Dressler in his prime....

Comment

• I don't mind the idea of a bit of a collaboration between the leagues but playing games down there seems a bit ridiculous IMO. First of all are the teams going down there going to be reimbursed for travel etc... Are season ticket holders up here going to be reimbursed for losing a home game. Mexicans probably are not going to pay more than 100 pesos to go to a cfl game, that's not a racist comment it's just reality, so there isn't a bunch of profit there. Where is the money coming from for this venture?

Comment

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I think in light of the fact we will lose some of the NCAA recruits to the AAFL (short term, or long term yet to be seen), we need to open our minds to the idea of some hidden gems coming from beyond another border... some of these guys might be well suited to playing the 3 down game more so then the NCAA or NFL 4 Down games meta... like being deemed "too short to be a pro"... some of those NCAA guys came up here and made a REALLY good thing for themselves... most recently my mind turn to Banks, K. Moore, and Chris Williams... all "shorter" receivers that have done well in the 3 down game.... let's also not forget Dressler in his prime....
        Good points, thanks!
        Press here to reset

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
          I don't mind the idea of a bit of a collaboration between the leagues but playing games down there seems a bit ridiculous IMO. First of all are the teams going down there going to be reimbursed for travel etc... Are season ticket holders up here going to be reimbursed for losing a home game. Mexicans probably are not going to pay more than 100 pesos to go to a cfl game, that's not a racist comment it's just reality, so there isn't a bunch of profit there. Where is the money coming from for this venture?
          Wouldnt season ticket holders pay for 8 regular season games instead of 9 come renewal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Wouldnt season ticket holders pay for 8 regular season games instead of 9 come renewal?
            I would assume but where does that lost revenue go?

Comment

I don't mind the idea of a bit of a collaboration between the leagues but playing games down there seems a bit ridiculous IMO. First of all are the teams going down there going to be reimbursed for travel etc... Are season ticket holders up here going to be reimbursed for losing a home game. Mexicans probably are not going to pay more than 100 pesos to go to a cfl game, that's not a racist comment it's just reality, so there isn't a bunch of profit there. Where is the money coming from for this venture?
              100 pesos is about $7.50 CDN at today's rate at the corner money exchanges in Mazatlan.

Comment

You mean 9 instead of 10 or 10 instead of 11 for those teams whose packages include playoff games. It would go without saying. Just a matter of what options a team offers for being reimbursed. I'd think most would give the option of money back or credit against next year's STs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

100 pesos is about $7.50 CDN at today's rate at the corner money exchanges in Mazatlan.
                  Yea I know.

Comment

Yea I know.
                    I didn't get to a Venados baseball game this year but when I took one in 2 years ago I think the ticket ran somewhere in the $15 to $20 CDN range for a decent seat about 12 rows above the 3rd base dugout. They play probably Double A calibre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

You mean 9 instead of 10 or 10 instead of 11 for those teams whose packages include playoff games. It would go without saying. Just a matter of what options a team offers for being reimbursed. I'd think most would give the option of money back or credit against next year's STs.
                      I wrote "regular season" not season ticket packages.

Comment

I would assume but where does that lost revenue go?
                        I would hope that all involved try and make this a break even venture but that would seem like a longshot.

A couple of teams doing training camp down there and playing a game would be the way to go to gauge interest.

Comment

I wrote "regular season" not season ticket packages.
                          Sorry. I did read that but thought you were overlooking that STs do include ex-games and in some cases playoffs. My apologies.

Comment

I would hope that all involved try and make this a break even venture but that would seem like a longshot.

A couple of teams doing training camp down there and playing a game would be the way to go to gauge interest.
                            If Ambrosie keeps pushing the season much earlier the prairie teams will be fighting over holding their training camps in Mexico.

Comment

• Comment

• I just want to put something to perspective for all those who think there will be no talent to be found at all.... We are looking at these LFA guys / Mexican Football players the same way the NFL looks at anyone coming out of the Canadian College system.

We are looking at Mexico and saying "but aren't they all just soccer players??" the same way a lot of my American friends laugh and say "But you can't play football in skates?! Aren't you guys all hockey crazy up there??"

The shoe is on the other foot right now, and it is an opportunity for the CFL to be the "Big dance" for some guys who maybe would have been over looked all together...

Look at it this way, the CFL salary might look mighty appealing to someone coming out of Mexico,and the possibility of moving ones family here, where as the American college players look at us as an inferior league to the NFL just because we can't pay the same.

I am optimistic that we can find a handful of players that stick, kind of like the Canadian Draft..... some guy in the 8th round could become a bonified starter while your first 3 round picks flame out....

I like the idea of encouraging the growth of football, and the Canadian game, regardless of where the players are from.... Scouting them, and being at their combine doesn't mean they will or will not be any good.. it's a show of faith between the leagues and hopefully it helps not only the CFL, but the LFA, and University level programs in both countries as well.

Let some of the Canadian QB's go down there for a season or two to hone their skills at a pro level, like a farm team.

People saying they can't be any good just because their countryman primarily play a different sport are being quite hypocritical coming from a country who is globally known for winter sports....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X