Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LFA/CFL: Mexico League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One wonders if this is just another plan to reduce player costs. Trust the CFL instead of partnering with the players to grow a larger pie they search for possible shortcuts to apparently increase profits by hiring cheaper labour just as has been practiced by agriculturural and domestic worker companies. Somehow this is so predictable by a CFL which is apparently bent on reducing costs so fat cats can wring a few more pesos out of their enterprises. Ba Humbug.

Comment

• CC Ryder called and wants to build a wall at the border so Mexicans donít come in and steal Canadian football player jobs.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Riderfan View Post
          One wonders if this is just another plan to reduce player costs. Trust the CFL instead of partnering with the players to grow a larger pie they search for possible shortcuts to apparently increase profits by hiring cheaper labour just as has been practiced by agriculturural and domestic worker companies. Somehow this is so predictable by a CFL which is apparently bent on reducing costs so fat cats can wring a few more pesos out of their enterprises. Ba Humbug.
          The problem with the above line of thinking is that if a Fat Cat wants to get fatter, owning a CFL team is not the best way to do it. More likely a CFL bent on reducing costs is a CFL bent on just surviving.
          Lionbacker

Comment

• It has been a long time since I was on this board. But I came here to see what the chatter was about the LFA/CFL agreement. There is actually a fairly robust Mexican University league that has put players in the Japanese X-League and in Germany. Also, from what I understand a number play a year or two in Mexico and then transfer to NCAA schools. Mexico has a fairly long history of football and I believe at one point one of their Universities used to play an exhibition game against a Division III Texas based school.

As for where they could play a game and attract fans, it would have to be in the Northern part of Mexico. That is where you will find the football fans, if you go towards Southern Mexico, that is strong soccer territory. I am not sure of any stadiums off the top of my head that could accommodate a CFL field, but I suspect there must be some or they are hoping the LFA would build a Tempire Stadium somewhere for the game. My guess is the Touchdown Atlantic game was the game that was destined for Mexico, but they could not find suitable fields in time.

My guess if they create a roster spot, would be similar to the National Player spot that NFL Europe/WLAF had. I would guess that the CFL game roster would expand to 47 with one Mexican player dressing in the game. I don't recall his name, but I remember during the time that NFL Europe existed, there was one very good Mexican returner, I believe he even went to an NFL camp. I would like to see the CFL start to expand their reach beyond Canada. I don't think teams outside of Canada is an idea, but the NFL is very insular as far as the football world goes. There is some very good leagues in Europe and Japan, in addition to Mexico, that the CFL could definitely start making links with. The Japanese leagues might be harder to recruit anyone from as they are industrial teams, where technically the players work for the corporation that owns the team. But there is definitely a world of potential sources of players out there. If the four professional outdoor leagues get going (I have my doubts about whether the Freedom Football League or the American Patriot League will kick off), it will mean that the American talent pool dwindles to some extent. I mean a number of USports grads go over to Europe currently to play, I know a number of QBs go over. So it makes sense to have formal links with those leagues and use them like NFL Europe. Have CFL teams send over players to develop beyond their five years of USports ball. Providing the quality of play is high enough to develop, it might make an outlet for a Canadian QB to turn into something in the CFL, assuming that some Canadian coaching also goes over.

At the very least by creating these links with the various leagues, it will allow the CFL brand to become more widely known. I know there is big money to be had from TV contracts in Asia. I am a pro wrestling fan and Impact Wrestling (currently the number 2 or number 3 promotion in the US) has survived solely based on TV money coming in from places like India and Southeast Asia. Now football isn't as universal as pro wrestling is. But India does have a professional football league (and all their games are streamed on Facebook, I've been meaning to watch one just to see the quality of play), so there is a bit of interest in football there. So if the CFL can make links with these football leagues, they may be able to leverage TV contracts in these countries and in turn make money from it. It doesn't hurt to try and expose the league to new markets. I mean Australian Football shows a live game per week on TSN, so why can't the CFL do the same on Australian or Indian TV?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
              CC Ryder called and wants to build a wall at the border so Mexicans donít come in and steal Canadian football player jobs.
              Pink Floyd called and don't want The Wall but a line on some Acapulco Gold.

The CFL is planning to take over the Mexican league - with mostly Canadian GMs and coaches calling all the shots there; have rosters feature more than 50% Canadian players, and adios to inferior Mexican QBs; the Mexican gridiron football loving public won't mind a bit: "Badges? - we don't need no stinking badges".

Comment

• What kind of buzz are people hearing about the upcomming combine... I am actually more excited about this LFA combine then I was for the CFL combine.... So many unknown players....

Comment

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post
                  What kind of buzz are people hearing about the upcomming combine... I am actually more excited about this LFA combine then I was for the CFL combine.... So many unknown players....
                  Anecdotally I would say outside of here none whatsoever. Barely a whisper of it in Esksfans or Lionbackers with any comments being mostly meh.

I'm wrapping up my 4th week in Mazatlan and come down here for 3 or 4 weeks every year at this time of year. I always see lots of NFL and CFL type stuff in the shops but have never seen anything that might be LFA related. I've never even heard anybody mention LFA or acknowledge a Mexican league exists over the years. Now that you ask though when I hit one of the sports bars in a bit I'll ask a couple of the bartenders who seem in tune to sports, especially NFL. I'm curious to see what they might have to say.
                  Last edited by Hambone; 01-09-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Anecdotally I would say outside of here none whatsoever. Barely a whisper of it in Esksfans or Lionbackers with any comments being mostly meh.

I'm wrapping up my 4th week in Mazatlan and come down here for 3 or 4 weeks every year at this time of year. I always see lots of NFL and CFL type stuff in the shops but have never seen anything that might be LFA related. I've never even heard anybody mention LFA or acknowledge a Mexican league exists over the years. Now that you ask though when I hit one of the sports bars in a bit I'll ask a couple of the bartenders who seem in tune to sports, especially NFL. I'm curious to see what they might have to say.
                    Most of the LFA is in Mexico City and in the northern part of Mexico.

It would be really interesting if there were teams in some of these tourist areas as there are so many Americans and Canadians who travel to Mexico.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Most of the LFA is in Mexico City and in the northern part of Mexico.

It would be really interesting if there were teams in some of these tourist areas as there are so many Americans and Canadians who travel to Mexico.
                      It's hard to say. I talk to many who spend several months here. Being typical snowbirds they tend to come down early November then start trickling north starting in what would be the early part of the LFA season. They are the ones who might get on board with a LFA team as many do with baseball right now. Mazatlan Venados are playing Game 7 tonight in the first series of the Mexican Pacific Coast League playoffs (on the road in Obregon). The Canadians and Americans down here for the winter or extended stays of more than the usual 1 or 2 weeks definitely get into it. It doesn't hurt that being baseball there are lots of mid-week games. The challenge with football and the majority of vacations is the charters typically arrive and depart on weekends which is when the games are played. Folks wouldn't be too keen to give up their first day on the beach for a football game or are packing up to head to the airport the next weekend.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                          Rod Black is warming up his shtick for some Juan on Juan action.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                            I thought it was already posted that MTL had the first overall pick.... maybe that was premature assumption based on the normal draft selection??

Comment

• I think we should trade down

Comment

• Iím beginning to wonder if this Mexico/global thing isnít just a legacy move or a distraction by Ambrosie. He knows full well the life span of the CFL commissionaire is only a few years long. The owners will keep him around to work on the CBA and the Halifax file, if he provides sufficient income and entertainment he might last, might not, so is this thing just a pet project to keep the CFL in front of everybody for now?

In my mind I see that scene from the movie Gladiator where he asks... are you not entertained?
                                Last edited by Pull my Finger; 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM.
                                Press here to reset

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X