Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie lays out plans to take game global with CFL 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post

I love the CFL more than any other league and football more than any other sport, but I can't compare the CFL with the NHL, NFL, or NBA with a straight face when it comes to expanding overseas. The money isn't there nor the expertise. I believe that if Ambrosie tries this, at this time, he will only embarrass himself and the league. You fortify the foundation before you add stories.
    Maybe I missed it, but the CFL is not expanding outside of Canada. This whole thing is about giving Canadian players without Junior or CIS eligibility to go and continue their development and perhaps giving good players in those countries an opportunity to take their game to the next level in the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

There are hundreds of Canadian kids playing hockey around the globe in obscure leagues that are getting room and board plus pizza money and having a blast doing it ……………… they do it while they are young for the lifestyle not for the money so it may work the same for football players ?
      A few years back my cousin went over to play on a Div II team in Belgium. Pay was something like $7K for the season. He just did it for a year to be able to say he played pro hockey. It also helped a bunch that the software development company he worked for in Vancouver happened to have an office in Brussels and transferred him. He said the calibre was about the same as the top rec league out at Burnaby 8 Rinks.

I have no idea what any European football leagues might be like in terms of calibre but some have likely been around for decades. When I was on a Con-Tiki bus tour through Scandinavia and the Soviet Union in 1989 I was quite surprised to see a team all geared up on a field in Helsinki. Looked like they were in the middle of a practice.

About the only thing on that trip that looked more out of place than the football practice was a couple hours later right in the heart of downtown Helsinki I saw some dude wearing a great big white Stetson driving a 1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. Maybe he was the team owner?
      Last edited by Hambone; 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

A few years back my cousin went over to play on a Div II team in Belgium. Pay was something like $7K for the season. He just did it for a year to be able to say he played pro hockey. It also helped a bunch that the software development company he worked for in Vancouver happened to have an office in Brussels and transferred him. He said the calibre was about the same as the top rec league out at Burnaby 8 Rinks.

I have no idea what any European football leagues might be like in terms of calibre but some have likely been around for decades. When I was on a Con-Tiki bus tour through Scandinavia and the Soviet Union in 1989 I was quite surprised to see a team all geared up on a field in Helsinki. Looked like they were in the middle of a practice.
        In the 1970s the NHL was about 90% Canadians and opening up the game around the world its probably less than 50% now.

The NFL isnt even a dream for players from other countries but the CFL could be attainable.
        Last edited by Magnum; 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I like how Ambrosie thinks outside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Maybe I missed it, but the CFL is not expanding outside of Canada. This whole thing is about giving Canadian players without Junior or CIS eligibility to go and continue their development and perhaps giving good players in those countries an opportunity to take their game to the next level in the CFL.
            Okay, assuming we do send some Canadians or give non drafted Canadians the opportunity to go play somewhere else. Someone will need to pay for them to go. More and more we are seeing young players walking away from the game, in some cases it isn't because of the money, but it is because of their careers after football. They want to start their careers sooner. In terms of having players come here from other countries they do it now. There have been few Aussie's try out. It is much easier now to do a video of your abilities and farm it around. If there is interest someone would invite you to try out.

Comment

Originally posted by rockford35 View Post
              Does his plan include Durant? Cuz that's going to screw some things up with some people around here.
              huh
              #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejth View Post

Okay, assuming we do send some Canadians or give non drafted Canadians the opportunity to go play somewhere else. Someone will need to pay for them to go. More and more we are seeing young players walking away from the game, in some cases it isn't because of the money, but it is because of their careers after football. They want to start their careers sooner. In terms of having players come here from other countries they do it now. There have been few Aussie's try out. It is much easier now to do a video of your abilities and farm it around. If there is interest someone would invite you to try out.
                Found an article from a few years ago, yea pay is diddly.

You cant put effort towards players who dont want to play for whatever reason, effort has to go to those that want to continue their career.

Anyway, in this article I think the main players that the CFL would be interested are the 4 per team US players who it seems are former NCAA players. There is nothing to lose for the CFL to expand their look for players and or coaches beyond North America and the cost is the change on your bed side table.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...orleans-saints

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  I don't think the answer is to try to sell something to the rest of the world when it's not working right in your own country yet. Fix CFL 1.0 before trying to introduce CFL 2.0. I'm finding Ambrosie almost cringeworthy when he spouts off like this.
                  growth can help legitimize it to a lot of people though. It seems like a big bash on the CFL is that it is too small, even when people try hiding reasoning behind other things. Thus, if it provides growth, it can't really hurt can it? NFL tried running things in too grand of a fashion in Europe IMO. They are not accustomed to the scaling, and the CFL is. I think that is where there may be some success and good synergy with some of these other leagues.
                  #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

In the 1970s the NHL was about 90% Canadians and opening up the game around the world its probably less than 50% now.

The NFL isnt even a dream for players from other countries but the CFL could be attainable.
                    This is true. I think what opened up the NHL's eye was the rude awakening the Russians gave them in 1972. Most "experts" dismissed European hockey as vastly inferior with Canada sweeping all 8 games in lopsided fashion. One year after that comeuppance Salming and Hammarstrom were Leafs.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo View Post

and which sport they started at........Webster McLeod from Scotland, originally a caber tosser.
                      Yet, strangely enough, Rod Black is the real tosser​​​​​​.
                      You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post

This part I like, the rest is a pipe dream
                        Agreed.

I'm tired of the dreamer "leader" type these days ... Randy I'm not interested in your legacy, fantasies or your dream big BS … let's fix what we have and make that work. I see money getting spent that they don't have instead of fixing the player pay & benefits issues or getting viewership up in their current markets. Maybe they giving up on TO, Montreal and BC. Old crotchety bastage out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

This is true. I think what opened up the NHL's eye was the rude awakening the Russians gave them in 1972. Most "experts" dismissed European hockey as vastly inferior with Canada sweeping all 8 games in lopsided fashion. One year after that comeuppance Salming and Hammarstrom were Leafs.
                          Yep, and Inge “could go into the corner with a dozen eggs in his pocket and not break any of them."

Comment

Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post

Yep, and Inge “could go into the corner with a dozen eggs in his pocket and not break any of them."
                            Lol. That was Pal Hal wasn't it? Salming was definitely a keeper. Hammerstrom was just 35 to 40 years ahead of his time. He'd probably excel in today's NHL.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X