Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie lays out plans to take game global with CFL 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how he expects to pay for this dream, The NFL quit paying for NFL Europe and it folded. Sure there are still leagues and players in places like Europe, but not sure how well they will take to converting to CFL rules from what they already play.

Comment

I wonder how much the owners are losing in Montreal,Toronto and Vancouver. The CFL is far from a hot commodity in these markets. If Reilly and Mitchell leave we have a league without anything approaching an elite QB. These are not good times for the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejth View Post
        Not sure how he expects to pay for this dream, The NFL quit paying for NFL Europe and it folded. Sure there are still leagues and players in places like Europe, but not sure how well they will take to converting to CFL rules from what they already play.
        4 down or 3 down, the skills are transferable. He isnt teying to get them to change their game.

As for paying for this dream, what is the cost of doing more sciuting and sharing development?

Comment

Originally posted by brady View Post
          I wonder how much the owners are losing in Montreal,Toronto and Vancouver. The CFL is far from a hot commodity in these markets. If Reilly and Mitchell leave we have a league without anything approaching an elite QB. These are not good times for the CFL.
          Good time go hand in hand with bad times in the CFL. Been like that since the Als folded in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
            Read that earlier today. Sounds all good but making it happen especially bridging the gap between the Canadian game and the game being played around the world is going to be a huge challenge.

Wont hurt to take a look at the possibilities that it might bring. I cant see too many players from different parts of the world coming to the CFL to play for our minimum wage and that will be another reason to get that wage boosted.
            There are hundreds of Canadian kids playing hockey around the globe in obscure leagues that are getting room and board plus pizza money and having a blast doing it they do it while they are young for the lifestyle not for the money so it may work the same for football players ?

Comment

Does his plan include Durant? Cuz that's going to screw some things up with some people around here.

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

There are hundreds of Canadian kids playing hockey around the globe in obscure leagues that are getting room and board plus pizza money and having a blast doing it they do it while they are young for the lifestyle not for the money so it may work the same for football players ?
                Wont disagree but the level of play has to be considered.

Comment

Has the CFL considered experiments with Water Bears to increase the fan base?

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                    Randy has been sampling the edibles.
                    Yeah, something like that. What a pipe dream. Almost laughable IMO.

American football and the powerful NFL hype is the version of gridiron football that is known and copied in other countries - Canadian football has no chance in comparison to get noticed or copied or respected.

How bout concentrating on promoting and improving the game at home - at pro and amateur levels - in case he hadn't noticed, big attendance problems in TO, Montreal and Vancouver in the CFL and Canadian college ball gets little support (attendance or TV wise) for the most part. And start promoting Canadian talent way more instead of believing you are going to find talent from thousands of miles away that is going to make any difference.

Comment

Might as well succumb to the full delusion of being the first league to play football on Mars... under the stars at the Cohaagan Ruby Dome!
                      Last edited by THE RULK; 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I don't think the answer is to try to sell something to the rest of the world when it's not working right in your own country yet. Fix CFL 1.0 before trying to introduce CFL 2.0. I'm finding Ambrosie almost cringeworthy when he spouts off like this.
                        Last edited by Oracle; 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM.
                        Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          I don't think the answer is to try to sell something to the rest of the world when it's not working right in your own country yet. Fix CFL 1.0 before trying introducing CFL 2.0. I'm finding Ambrosie almost cringeworthy when he spouts off like this.
                          Yep. Let's send Rod Black over to Europe to cover the inaugural first game between the Munich Mashers and the Atlantic Schooners... followed by the second half of the double header involving the Kokanee Khronics and the Croatian Kingsguard at the old Roman Coliseum in Split.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            I don't think the answer is to try to sell something to the rest of the world when it's not working right in your own country yet. Fix CFL 1.0 before trying to introduce CFL 2.0. I'm finding Ambrosie almost cringeworthy when he spouts off like this.
                            So the NHL should do the same right? The NHL has a few teams that have even worse attendance then CFL teams.

Just think how much better off the CFL would be if they can get more people watching in other parts of the world.

Comment

In thirty seconds the CFL will be dead, and I'll blow this place up and be home in time for Corn Flakes...

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

So the NHL should do the same right? The NHL has a few teams that have even worse attendance then CFL teams.

Just think how much better off the CFL would be if they can get more people watching in other parts of the world.
                                I love the CFL more than any other league and football more than any other sport, but I can't compare the CFL with the NHL, NFL, or NBA with a straight face when it comes to expanding overseas. The money isn't there nor the expertise. I believe that if Ambrosie tries this, at this time, he will only embarrass himself and the league. You fortify the foundation before you add stories.
                                Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X