Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I agree, That said... it is hard to make up for years of missed revenue in one shot.... last CBA they had a new TV deal to work with for revenue... this time, not so much...
    Yeah....there's definitely no big new sources of revenue. I doubt they got much, if anything, for the Mexican broadcast of the GC. And I doubt that any new global TV deals are going to be worth much to start out.

If anything, I'm guess that overall revenues are down from 2014 based on the dropoff in attendance. 2013 was about 179k total attendance, 2018 was down to ~157k. That's ~12% drop in attendance

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

Yeah....there's definitely no big new sources of revenue. I doubt they got much, if anything, for the Mexican broadcast of the GC. And I doubt that any new global TV deals are going to be worth much to start out.

If anything, I'm guess that overall revenues are down from 2014 based on the dropoff in attendance. 2013 was about 179k total attendance, 2018 was down to ~157k. That's ~12% drop in attendance
      Not to mention MTL and Toronto are both in worse shape then in 2014

Comment

Not to mention MTL and Toronto are both in worse shape then in 2014
        Toronto alone accounts for nearly half that attendance drop. But from an ownership perspective, I think they're in better shape than they were.

Montreal is definitely worse. And nothing is going to happen on the sale until a new CBA is sorted out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

Toronto alone accounts for nearly half that attendance drop. But from an ownership perspective, I think they're in better shape than they were.

Montreal is definitely worse. And nothing is going to happen on the sale until a new CBA is sorted out.
          Having an owner with deep pockets means nothing if the team isn't generating revenue though.... Deep pockets tend to close if the $$ isn't there... prime example... AAFL

Comment

Having an owner with deep pockets means nothing if the team isn't generating revenue though.... Deep pockets tend to close if the $$ isn't there... prime example... AAFL
            True, but the Argos were a financial disaster even before Bell got involved. But yes, there will be some expectation of a turn around within a certain number of year.s

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

The league has always been unified in this. Far easier when you only have eight or nine voices behind the scenes and control the money. They’ve just had to wait for the players to fold. I’m not so sure they will this time.
              If the players don't fold, the league might.

It's still just a hair away from teams in Montreal and Toronto folding, as always. Can't afford to cancel games as I'm sure the expenses (rent) will have to be paid regardless

I'm all for the players to be paid a little more, but I don't think it's realistic to expect a lot, or to think that striking is a good idea

Comment

• If you believe there is no more money for the players, then you believe the team's have voluntarily given them all they can. Laughable.

Comment

• If one believes the players are being reasonable then you are very gullible.
                  Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post
                    If you believe there is no more money for the players, then you believe the team's have voluntarily given them all they can. Laughable.
                    Perhaps they have. I probably earn enough money for my employer in one day than what he pays me for two weeks of work.

Businesses are in the business of making money not losing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lotus View Post

Perhaps they have. I probably earn enough money for my employer in one day than what he pays me for two weeks of work.

Businesses are in the business of making money not losing it.
                      Sometimes even owners base their decisions on survival and sustainability of the business. Union leaders put on the blinders and ignore the big picture.
                      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post
                        If you believe there is no more money for the players, then you believe the team's have voluntarily given them all they can. Laughable.
                        On the privately owned teams , only the league gets to see their financials I am assuming . On the community owned teams they have to put out a publicly attainable financial reporting of some kind ( may well be accountant massaged ) which should give a look at the health of CFL football organization I would think . Now everyone is different in the revenue they can generate from their market support or not , but seems to me a good indicator of what a league can or cannot afford to pay folks working for them . Shouldn't be hard to understand if there is strength of argument no matter the side one is on ?

Comment

• I still cant get over they knew they were this divided and yet they didnt even start talking until March !

Comment

• Originally posted by jlh2640 View Post
                            I still cant get over they knew they were this divided and yet they didnt even start talking until March !
                            There may be nothing to discover - they both know what's on the table, so now they play chicken until one party forces the other over a barrel. Good strategy until you think of your customers.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmurph View Post

On the privately owned teams , only the league gets to see their financials I am assuming . On the community owned teams they have to put out a publicly attainable financial reporting of some kind ( may well be accountant massaged ) which should give a look at the health of CFL football organization I would think . Now everyone is different in the revenue they can generate from their market support or not , but seems to me a good indicator of what a league can or cannot afford to pay folks working for them . Shouldn't be hard to understand if there is strength of argument no matter the side one is on ?
                              I don't think the players are looking at the financial statements. I think they are looking at the ever increasing coaching and admin staffs and the ever increasing pay of those people. Right now there is a cap but very few seem to believe this will last much beyond CBA negotiations. In short there seems to be money just not for the players. BTW those privately owned teams don't seem too anxious to prove they are not making money.

Comment

• Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X