Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

As Cardi B sings in her latest song........."Money !!!!!"

I would bet the CFLPA aren't getting offered anywhere near what they want in right now hard dollars SMS increase which is why they aren't getting into specifics. If their ask was reasonable then they'd play the social media card to get fan support. I think they are worried right now the fans may not support their demands.
    I just don't see where more money is going to come from, especially considering the number of teams that may need help shortly, unless the CFL pulls in a new major sponsor. It seems like a few years ago, the league had some marquee sponsors but now it seems like it's regional plus Mark's and Wendy's for the national ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post

I just don't see where more money is going to come from, especially considering the number of teams that may need help shortly, unless the CFL pulls in a new major sponsor. It seems like a few years ago, the league had some marquee sponsors but now it seems like it's regional plus Mark's and Wendy's for the national ones.
      Looking at that one video above from 1987. the sponsors were Carling O'Keefe, Air Canada and Petro Canada. They need to attract more big players like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post

I am thinking the league offer includes raising the minimum with a token offer of hard money for a slight SMS increase.
        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post
          Not threatening work stoppage but telling player not to report to camp if a CBA isn't signed?

Not reporting to camp is a work stoppage

Does seem that the CFLPA is avoiding negotiating through the media this time around. Back in 2014(?) they made their specific demands public - including the revenue share agreement of 56% that would have put the SMS cap at $6.2M. I haven't heard anything specific this time around.

Comment

• Latest is the PA writing a letter asking all the teams to not have training camp if they go on strike. Because in Ontario and Alberta camps could go on (I assume because they aren't in a legal position to strike in those provinces) & those teams would have a competitive advantage. Good thing it's only two provinces though. There are only what, 5 teams in them... Oops!

Not really in a strong position

Comment

I donít miss them cutting out of games for the National.

Now was it before or after labour day they quit broadcasting games?
              Nick Nolte with orange hair

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                Latest is the PA writing a letter asking all the teams to not have training camp if they go on strike. Because in Ontario and Alberta camps could go on (I assume because they aren't in a legal position to strike in those provinces) & those teams would have a competitive advantage. Good thing it's only two provinces though. There are only what, 5 teams in them... Oops!

Not really in a strong position
                How about they don't have a work stoppage until all teams are in a legal strike position? I can answer my own question. Because once the players are in the cities, they'll be at a definite financial disadvantage compared to staying at home.

Valid reason, but don't go crying that some teams will get a competitive advantage as a result of you trying to get an advantage in the labour negotiations.

It find it amusing, lots of people (including myself) have sympathy for the players, but few have any sympathy for the CFLPA itself....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

How about they don't have a work stoppage until all teams are in a legal strike position? I can answer my own question. Because once the players are in the cities, they'll be at a definite financial disadvantage compared to staying at home.

Valid reason, but don't go crying that some teams will get a competitive advantage as a result of you trying to get an advantage in the labour negotiations.

It find it amusing, lots of people (including myself) have sympathy for the players, but few have any sympathy for the CFLPA itself....
                  Not sure about "sympathy" but I think I see what makes the PA's job so tough. Their job is tough for all the reasons, repeated over and over, that make a work stoppage tough. However in the last negotiations the CFLPA got run over so they are much more prepared this time. Tensions have been building up, very similar to the last time there was a stoppage.

Comment

• The CFLPA holding the fans hostage and hoping Stockholm syndrome kicks in where the victims, or fans in this case, sympathize with the captor.

I hope the league holds their ground and sit back patiently as the CFLPA implodes when the membership isnít getting paid.

Comment

The CFLPA holding the fans hostage and hoping Stockholm syndrome kicks in where the victims, or fans in this case, sympathize with the captor.

I hope the league holds their ground and sit back patiently as the CFLPA implodes when the membership isnít getting paid.
                      I agree 100%. I'd love for the League to offer a decent package to the CFLPA and then retroactively take back a sizable portion to cover the expenses involved in pushing the season back (if that will be the case). I know the CFLPA has "some" business minded folks on it, but do they not understand it's not as easy as just delaying the season? I can't imagine the costs involved (or losses incurred) if the season doesn't start on time. An argument could be made that these expenses are a business expense and should be covered by the league/owners and not the CFLPA. That would make a very compelling argument for the league to then throw back the same risk/reward tactic to CFLPA.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1Fan View Post

I agree 100%. I'd love for the League to offer a decent package to the CFLPA and then retroactively take back a sizable portion to cover the expenses involved in pushing the season back (if that will be the case). I know the CFLPA has "some" business minded folks on it, but do they not understand it's not as easy as just delaying the season? I can't imagine the costs involved (or losses incurred) if the season doesn't start on time. An argument could be made that these expenses are a business expense and should be covered by the league/owners and not the CFLPA. That would make a very compelling argument for the league to then throw back the same risk/reward tactic to CFLPA.
                        That's why it is extremely important for the CFLPA to have a legal work stoppage. An illegal work stoppage means that they could be held liable for damages to the league as a result of the stoppage - at least in some jurisdictions anyway. In some provinces even third parties (i.e. TSN, concessions operators, etc.) would be able to sue the CFLPA for damages as a result of an illegal work stoppage. But I don't think there's a province in the country where the bargaining unit can be held liable for damages if the work stoppage is legal.

Comment

• Go players go. Raise those season ticket prices !

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post

Not sure about "sympathy" but I think I see what makes the PA's job so tough. Their job is tough for all the reasons, repeated over and over, that make a work stoppage tough. However in the last negotiations the CFLPA got run over so they are much more prepared this time. Tensions have been building up, very similar to the last time there was a stoppage.
                            The main reason that they got 'run over' was that their initial demands were absolutely ridiculous. They wanted a neurologist on the field for all games. A 56% revenue share that would have taken the SMS from ~$4.5M to something like $6.3M - a 40% increase.

So far I haven't heard anything specific come out as to what the CFLPA demands are. Some vagaries about increased salary (though not specific to overall SMS or minimums), better access to better after career health care, concerns over overall player safety etc. But nothing specific.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

The main reason that they got 'run over' was that their initial demands were absolutely ridiculous. They wanted a neurologist on the field for all games. A 56% revenue share that would have taken the SMS from ~$4.5M to something like $6.3M - a 40% increase.

So far I haven't heard anything specific come out as to what the CFLPA demands are. Some vagaries about increased salary (though not specific to overall SMS or minimums), better access to better after career health care, concerns over overall player safety etc. But nothing specific.
                              Their vagueness tells me they want it all and they want it now. Higher minimums, robust health plan and a significant hard money increase on the SMS. The fact they are being vague indicates to me they are scared of losing the fan support. If their demands were realistic or they were actually being hard done by they would have disclosed their case already.

Comment

Their vagueness tells me they want it all and they want it now. Higher minimums, robust health plan and a significant hard money increase on the SMS. The fact they are being vague indicates to me they are scared of losing the fan support. If their demands were realistic or they were actually being hard done by they would have disclosed their case already.
                                I think a lot of it speaks to very different approaches by Brian Ramsay vs Scott Flory too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X