Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

What is Soccer, 2 hour of programming, that timeline might be more what they are leaning to instead of the 3 hours of football.

I wonder about how many people takes to produce these games as there are very little replays that dont involve a goal or a close penalty in the penalty box. Are there the cameras involved that are used in football?

It would be great if the CBC could toss the CFL $60M a year from the $1.6B they get from the taxpayer

Anyhoooo......is CBC getting ansy about getting less or totally cut out of the deal with Sportsnet and is looking for more?
    CBC also isnít producing any of the soccer games. Theyíre just showing them.

And CBC said point blank they couldnít afford a share of the NHL contract. I doubt theyíre getting antsy about it.
    Last edited by lerriuqs; 05-06-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikejth View Post

CBC has been getting knocked lately for its original Canadian content. They have been starting to get involved in more sports programming (rugby, track and field, Olympics) so maybe doing the CFL again would them good. They would need to have a top notch broadcast team.

But I agree with you, they likely don't outbid Sportsnet or TSN. But CBC could work with Global to do a cross country package that might shake things up. CTV wouldn't go up against Bell so that leaves only Sportsnet unless CBC comes in to make it interesting. But open bids are better then just handing it over to TSN
      Canít see Global given their lack of interest in live sports period. Have they produced their own live sports?

Any bidding would be between Sportsnet and TSN.

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Canít see Global given their lack of interest in live sports period. Have they produced their own live sports?

Any bidding would be between Sportsnet and TSN.
        I agree Global hasn't shown an interest in live sports and I don't believe CBC has the air time to broadcast all 88 games. But it wouldn't take much for a partnership to be developed that could offer a competitive bid. While Sportsnet might make a play for it, I doubt they offer much more then what is currently on the table. They don't need to, they are making more off NHL. The only reason to make series push to they want to relegate TSN to being the bottom rung sportsnet.

Comment

• I for one miss the old cfl on CBC just based on a heritage standpoint. Walby and Wittman and Artimage. Classic voices. And donít forget Cuthberg came from there too. I would prefer to watch a game by CBC with those guys as opposed to listening to rod black

Comment

• Originally posted by Merle View Post
            I for one miss the old cfl on CBC just based on a heritage standpoint. Walby and Wittman and Artimage. Classic voices. And donít forget Cuthberg came from there too. I would prefer to watch a game by CBC with those guys as opposed to listening to rod black
            I donít miss them cutting out of games for the National.

Now was it before or after labour day they quit broadcasting games?
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Merle View Post
              I for one miss the old cfl on CBC just based on a heritage standpoint. Walby and Wittman and Artimage. Classic voices. And donít forget Cuthberg came from there too. I would prefer to watch a game by CBC with those guys as opposed to listening to rod black

Last edited by Magnum; 05-07-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I donít miss them cutting out of games for the National.

Now was it before or after labour day they quit broadcasting games?
                They started broadcasting at Labour Day.

CBC has high quality broadcasts, but they didn't treat the league anywhere near as good as TSN, and didn't have the same ability to promote it.

Comment

• A lot has changed since CBC was involved. At that time, even with both CBC and TSN broadcasting games, not all games were broadcast. If I remember there was usually one per week that was missed.... Can't remember exactly.

Not counting NHL, what else does CBC have that would gain more viewers during Thursday and Friday prime-time and weekends? Here in Ottawa this Sunday at 5PM they don't even have anything scheduled! Is's just TBA.

I believe they have the ability to do it if they want. Given additional ad revenues generated by larger audiences, I think they can make a business case for it too. One can look at the TV ratings to see that it's a fairly valuable sports property. Given that CBC is available over-the-air and while I don't believe they are considered as a mandatory service, pretty much every basic TV package includes CBC. The same can't be said for TSN.

Regardless, making it a competitive process should maximize the value rather than just re-upping with TSN.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post
                    A lot has changed since CBC was involved. At that time, even with both CBC and TSN broadcasting games, not all games were broadcast. If I remember there was usually one per week that was missed.... Can't remember exactly.

Not counting NHL, what else does CBC have that would gain more viewers during Thursday and Friday prime-time and weekends? Here in Ottawa this Sunday at 5PM they don't even have anything scheduled! Is's just TBA.

I believe they have the ability to do it if they want. Given additional ad revenues generated by larger audiences, I think they can make a business case for it too. One can look at the TV ratings to see that it's a fairly valuable sports property. Given that CBC is available over-the-air and while I don't believe they are considered as a mandatory service, pretty much every basic TV package includes CBC. The same can't be said for TSN.

Regardless, making it a competitive process should maximize the value rather than just re-upping with TSN.
                    Sunday night would be the Western Conference finals which are finalized yet. Thatís why it would be TBA.

The interesting thing is that even when CBC was last broadcasting games. They didnít have a league contract per se. TSN owned the contract but was required to give games to CBC.

And if the only competition for the CFL was CBC, thatís pretty much no competition as theyíve pretty much gotten out of professional sports. Even the CPL is being produced by someone else- theyíre just showing the games.

The question is - would Sportsnet even be interested when it pretty much directly goes up against the Blue Jays for the entire CFL season?

There arenít any real good alternatives to TSN imo.
                    Last edited by lerriuqs; 05-08-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Sunday night would be the Western Conference finals which are finalized yet. Thatís why it would be TBA.
                      The 7PM (EST - should have clarified time zone) time slot is blocked off. But two hours earlier there is an unassigned 1 hour block to be followed by "When Calls the Heart" just prior to the hockey game.

Comment

• I still believe their best bet, if the timing can work, is to have expansion to 10 teams and new TV contracts occur at the same time. Have the main TV contract be for 4 games per week, with TSN being the most likely candidate for it. Then have a separate contract with just 1 game per week. If they wanted, they could stipulate that this addition game must be on a different network than the main contract (which would still allow Bell to bid for it using CTV). Alternatively, they could leave it open so a bidder could consolidate it.

That would be a way for SportsNet, Global, CBC, or CTV to get a "game of the week" to expand the reach of the league, while the league maintains a primary broadcaster for most of the schedule and the playoffs.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                            As Cardi B sings in her latest song........."Money !!!!!"

I would bet the CFLPA aren't getting offered anywhere near what they want in right now hard dollars SMS increase which is why they aren't getting into specifics. If their ask was reasonable then they'd play the social media card to get fan support. I think they are worried right now the fans may not support their demands.
                            Last edited by Bigsexydawg; 05-08-2019, 03:17 PM.
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

As Cardi B sings in her latest song........."Money !!!!!"

I would bet the CFLPA aren't getting offered anywhere near what they want in right now hard dollars SMS increase which is why they aren't getting into specifics. If their ask was reasonable then they'd play the social media card to get fan support. I think they are worried right now the fans may not support their demands.
                              At the end of the day, it always comes down to money. Whats the guess, the PA looking for a $1M+ increase in the SMS whille the league tossing out $300K?

I guess its going to come down to next week and if the league tables a final offer or is the PA going to back off of their threat to not go to camp without a deal.

I am of the opinion that the league will table a final offer with a signing bonus that will having the players grabbing the money.

Comment

• Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X