Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikejth View Post

Publicly owned teams can hide players extra salary as easily private teams.
    I'd say that is wrong. Publicly owned teams can find ways to hide player salaries, but not as easily as private teams.

Comment

• Comment

• Are they meeting again this week?
        Is it May yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by juice View Post
          Are they meeting again this week?
          Starting today going to Wednesday.

Comment

The only issue I see here is the Television revenues section. We don't know how much a real contract is worth because they haven't opened it up in so long. People said Sportsnet was going to lose it shirt and go bankrupt with there 5.2 Billion dollar deal. Now here we are 4 years later and they have shown no signs of failing. I do wonder if the CFL could get more for its games rather then just handing the it over to TSN. But it is doubtful it would be enough to make everyone get a significant increase.
            I completely agree. A competitive process for the TV contract can only help the league. Let's not forget CBC in that equation either. Free OTA broadcast of games may increase viewership. Though the number of people that are strictly watching OTA is probably fairly small. And the subset of those that are CFL fans is smaller still. I do think though that one of the things the CFL needs to do in the next deal is that if a broadcaster wants full distribution rights, they must offer a CFL only subscription or exclude digital rights allowing the CFL to setup their own streaming service.

I personally find TSN subscription service at $20/month a bit pricey when you can get full NFL access plus MLB and a bunch of other sports through DAZN for the same price.

Comment

• I sure hope the deal gets done to the satisfaction of both parties soon. I am getting excited for the season to start!

Comment

• Originally posted by mrdiehard View Post
                I sure hope the deal gets done to the satisfaction of both parties soon. I am getting excited for the season to start!
                What is it, like 12 days until the start of training camp?

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Starting today going to Wednesday.
                  May the wisdom and understanding of Solomon be set upon the negotiation committees for both sides !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by pmurph View Post

May the wisdom and understanding of Solomon be set upon the negotiation committees for both sides !!!!
                    Given that he's been released, can he even vote anymore? Let alone be a player rep? Not trying to stir stuff up, just an honest question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

Given that he's been released, can he even vote anymore? Let alone be a player rep? Not trying to stir stuff up, just an honest question.
                      I think he's referring to King Solomon from the Bible who was considered to be very wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

I completely agree. A competitive process for the TV contract can only help the league. Let's not forget CBC in that equation either. Free OTA broadcast of games may increase viewership. Though the number of people that are strictly watching OTA is probably fairly small. And the subset of those that are CFL fans is smaller still. I do think though that one of the things the CFL needs to do in the next deal is that if a broadcaster wants full distribution rights, they must offer a CFL only subscription or exclude digital rights allowing the CFL to setup their own streaming service.

I personally find TSN subscription service at $20/month a bit pricey when you can get full NFL access plus MLB and a bunch of other sports through DAZN for the same price.
                        No way CBC would get involved in a bidding war for the CFL rights. I see no reason to include them in this discussion. If anything they’ve been dropping live sports rights for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

No way CBC would get involved in a bidding war for the CFL rights. I see no reason to include them in this discussion. If anything they’ve been dropping live sports rights for years.
                          CBC just signed up to broadcast weekly Canadian Premier League soccer games, 10 in all. Also will stream 10 more. So they do seem to want to get back into live sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

CBC has been getting knocked lately for its original Canadian content. They have been starting to get involved in more sports programming (rugby, track and field, Olympics) so maybe doing the CFL again would them good. They would need to have a top notch broadcast team.

But I agree with you, they likely don't outbid Sportsnet or TSN. But CBC could work with Global to do a cross country package that might shake things up. CTV wouldn't go up against Bell so that leaves only Sportsnet unless CBC comes in to make it interesting. But open bids are better then just handing it over to TSN

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

CBC just signed up to broadcast weekly Canadian Premier League soccer games, 10 in all. Also will stream 10 more. So they do seem to want to get back into live sports.
                              What is Soccer, 2 hour of programming, that timeline might be more what they are leaning to instead of the 3 hours of football.

I wonder about how many people takes to produce these games as there are very little replays that dont involve a goal or a close penalty in the penalty box. Are there the cameras involved that are used in football?

It would be great if the CBC could toss the CFL $60M a year from the $1.6B they get from the taxpayer

Anyhoooo......is CBC getting ansy about getting less or totally cut out of the deal with Sportsnet and is looking for more?

Comment

CBC has been getting knocked lately for its original Canadian content. They have been starting to get involved in more sports programming (rugby, track and field, Olympics) so maybe doing the CFL again would them good. They would need to have a top notch broadcast team.

But I agree with you, they likely don't outbid Sportsnet or TSN. But CBC could work with Global to do a cross country package that might shake things up. CTV wouldn't go up against Bell so that leaves only Sportsnet unless CBC comes in to make it interesting. But open bids are better then just handing it over to TSN
                                Either fund the CBC properly if you want high quality Canadian content or leave the budgets where they are and live with less CANCON.

****ts Creek should help a bit since that seems to be a pretty solid hit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X