Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pmurph View Post

Are individual team events such as promos for upcoming season , mini camps , .and the like considered CFL events or is it more actual things the league organizes and promotes .
    They can't do official league stuff, but they are allowed to do community things sanctioned by the team, but are being asked not to wear their CFL gear. Instead they are supposed to wear CFLPA gear. Yeah, I'm sure a football player in Toronto or Winnipeg walking into a school in CFLPA gear is going to get the same reception as a player in his team jersey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
      If this is all they got it ain’t much.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

If this is all they got it ain’t much.
        Ambrosie and the Owners are shaking in their boots...

Comment

• Originally posted by R.J View Post
          Ambrosie and the Owners are shaking in their boots...
          Yea it shows the cfl the CFLPA are ready to bring a plastic knife to a gunfight
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post

They can't do official league stuff, but they are allowed to do community things sanctioned by the team, but are being asked not to wear their CFL gear. Instead they are supposed to wear CFLPA gear. Yeah, I'm sure a football player in Toronto or Winnipeg walking into a school in CFLPA gear is going to get the same reception as a player in his team jersey.
            OK , thanks for the info . heading into the season teams must want their guys out front as much as possible to engage the fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

I would assume those would be events. So would visiting schools and such I imagine
              Not sure how those things come into play from the team and league areas , but as a fan I'd think for the team as well as the players the more out in public the better . Can not see that not being good for the players exposure and not compromising the CBA leverage etc. on the players part. No matter how the CBA ends up the league needs bums in the seats as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Yea it shows the cfl the CFLPA are ready to bring a plastic knife to a gunfight
                Here is something that baffles me about how the CFLPA and it's members are approaching things. I just listened to Ryan King on TSN1260. He is the player rep for the Eskimos and just re-upped with them. He talked about hoping that they sign a great CBA and how some players have vowed to hold out until they have a new CBA. But as we have seen, lots of players, especially the higher salary ones, have already re-signed with their old clubs or will be announced in a matter of minutes. If you, as an association, want the best CBA possible, why are they not standing as a group and saying "No one signs until the CBA is done". That tactic would actually put some pressure on the CFL because all of the teams would only have half of their roster signed (those that are already under contract) by the beginning to middle of May. But instead, there are players signing all over the place, including the CFLPA reps, which shows that most of their members are out for themselves and not the collective group. There will be a couple that won't sign until the CBA is done, but they won't get the same payday as the maybe could have because most of their brethren have already signed. This is why the CFL is not in the least worried about CBA negotiations and why the CFLPA will end up with a CBA that is exactly what the league wants it to be.

Comment

• Maybe their strategy is to sign for so much money that the league has no choice but to increase the cap.

Comment

• The CFLPA is about to officially give formal notice to the league that it wants to begin the collective bargaining process, setting the stage for negotiations to finally begin.

In a letter sent to players on Wednesday, union executive director Brian Ramsay said the CFLPA will give “notice to bargain” on Feb. 15 and expect negotiations to begin in March.

“In January 2019, we met with the CFL and mutually agreed to begin bargaining in March,” Ramsay wrote. “By then, we will have concluded our Annual General Meeting (in late February) where we expect to finalize our bargaining package on behalf of all CFL players.”

Ramsay said the league and the union have been meeting for the last 15 months on a range of topics.

“Although these meetings are prescribed in the collective agreement, they were not previously done. The intentions of the meetings were to collectively agree on mutually beneficial issues,” Ramsay wrote. “This was the case, as we were able to find solutions on several issues, (reduction in padded practices, net vs gross calculations on player discipline and the Live Mic initiative for the 2018 season) that historically would have been addressed at the bargaining table.”

The current CBA expires on May 15, ending a five-year agreement that was ratified on June 13, 2014 – nearly a month after the original deadline.

Comment

• The problem with revenue sharing is that it's revenue. It just becomes another percentage overhead on a team's bottom line. What the players should be asking for is profit sharing. Minor difference really but still.

If I recall back in 2014 the CFLPA initially was asking for $8+ million or something like that right? Owners cried poor and almost everyone (including myself) though what they were asking for was outrageous.

Here's the thing though, in the current CBA (and previous CBA) Article 30 stipulates that each year teams must provide to the CFLPA a financial statement either audited or if un-audited, prepared according to GAAP. So based on that, the CFLPA should know exactly where each of the teams stand in terms of profitability. And one would think that they ask for something that would be feasible based on that information.

But we also know from the community owned teams that typically they're making maybe a couple hundred thousand in profit, or up to $2 million or so in a Grey Cup year.

Based on that I can conclude one of three things:
                      1) The CFLPA doesn't pay attention to the information provided to them
                      2) Don't believe the information provided to them and think the teams are performing all sorts of squirrely financial wizardry
                      3) Really have no clue about finances whatsoever

I'm thinking it's probably #2 - and there's probably some truth to that as well.

Comment

• I am starting to think, that with some of these huge (by CFL standards) contracts that have been signed that both the union and the CFL head office knows that the salary cap will be going up. Could be a short negotiation if that is the case.

Comment

• Sorry, the salary cap going up by a very substantial amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmontonriderfan33 View Post
                            Sorry, the salary cap going up by a very substantial amount.
                            Why are you sorry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post
                              The problem with revenue sharing is that it's revenue. It just becomes another percentage overhead on a team's bottom line. What the players should be asking for is profit sharing. Minor difference really but still.

If I recall back in 2014 the CFLPA initially was asking for $8+ million or something like that right? Owners cried poor and almost everyone (including myself) though what they were asking for was outrageous.

Here's the thing though, in the current CBA (and previous CBA) Article 30 stipulates that each year teams must provide to the CFLPA a financial statement either audited or if un-audited, prepared according to GAAP. So based on that, the CFLPA should know exactly where each of the teams stand in terms of profitability. And one would think that they ask for something that would be feasible based on that information.

But we also know from the community owned teams that typically they're making maybe a couple hundred thousand in profit, or up to $2 million or so in a Grey Cup year.

2) Don't believe the information provided to them and think the teams are performing all sorts of squirrely financial wizardry

I'm thinking it's probably #2 - and there's probably some truth to that as well.
                              Revenue versus profit is a huge difference. I’m confused as to why the players would want to profit share instead of revenue share? I’d much rather get a share of revenues than a share of profits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post
                                The problem with revenue sharing is that it's revenue. It just becomes another percentage overhead on a team's bottom line. What the players should be asking for is profit sharing. Minor difference really but still.

Profits are pretty easy to sway on paper. Revenue, not as much so. That is kinda why I think all leagues that have something built in for the players use Revenue sharing, not profit.
                                #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X