Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL/CFLPA Collective Agreement

https://cfldb.ca/cba/ has many links.

https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/cfl...ement-2014.pdf is a link to the document.

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the CFL and CFLPA was ratified June 13, 2014.
    The agreement lasts five years through the 2018 season, expiring the day before the 2019 training camp starts.

---------------
    I believe that our labour law allows things to carry on under the terms of the old contract, in the event that a new one is not hammered out by the expiry of the old agreement.

It is interesting looking at a collective agreement and seeing who each article is stacked towards. It can give a good indication of who holds power.

In the end, both sides need each other, but the players themselves have other interests than football, though football is often their first love. Both sides can leverage the fans to their advantage to create pressure on the other side.

The upcoming negotiations will be eventful.

I find it interesting that the agreement is between the CFLPA, CFL Player Relations Committee (not sure who is on this and what their mandate is--I will look it up yet) and the CFL. Three parties would make for an interesting dynamic, you would think.

There are many facets of this agreement.

My guess is the League will cry poor once again, and the players get the shaft once again.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post
      My guess is the League will cry poor once again, and the players get the shaft once again.
      The league has already done the pre-emptive strike and positioning by capping coaching and admin expenses. Puts them in a position now to say, Management has done their part so players, what are you sacrificing?

Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

The league has already done the pre-emptive strike and positioning by capping coaching and admin expenses. Puts them in a position now to say, Management has done their part so players, what are you sacrificing?
        Yup, I agreed with you early on when to ops cap was first brought to attention. It'll be interesting to see how far the players are willing to go this time. Every new cba negotiation we hear how American players are none too happy, and yet nothing changes.

I would like to see the League minimum increase by at least $15k. I think the cap as a whole needs to raise by at least $1 million or have an exemption for starting QB's (up to maybe $650k). At this point I'm not even sure if the League could handle either of them - the League is doing a horrible job growing the business IMO. Expanding to Halifax might help I guess, but I'm not holding my breath for that one. A new U.S tv deal could help as well, but who knows what that deal will look like at this point.

IMO Ambrosie needs to stop focusing on moving up the season, playoffs, Grey Cup, adding a football Ops cap, and put the League focus on bringing in new big money sponsors, new tv deals, and growing youth football.

Comment

Yup, I agreed with you early on when to ops cap was first brought to attention. It'll be interesting to see how far the players are willing to go this time. Every new cba negotiation we hear how American players are none too happy, and yet nothing changes.

I would like to see the League minimum increase by at least $15k. I think the cap as a whole needs to raise by at least $1 million or have an exemption for starting QB's (up to maybe $650k). At this point I'm not even sure if the League could handle either of them - the League is doing a horrible job growing the business IMO. Expanding to Halifax might help I guess, but I'm not holding my breath for that one. A new U.S tv deal could help as well, but who knows what that deal will look like at this point.

IMO Ambrosie needs to stop focusing on moving up the season, playoffs, Grey Cup, adding a football Ops cap, and put the League focus on bringing in new big money sponsors, new tv deals, and growing youth football.
          That will have to be mandated by the league as part of the SMS/Cap increase.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Wasn't one of the reasons to move the season to increase the value of the TV deal, as well as seeing if it helps some markets who have seen a late season drop off at the gate? That is the definition of trying to grow the business, while addressing the tv deal item you have in your list.

Sponsors want eyeballs, so taking care of the fundamentals will help attract them. You need to have what the sponsors want before you can get them to sponsor you. It isn't about finding money; it is about providing value.

It seems you want him to stop focusing on all those things that are part of running the league's business, and instead spend time finding magic sources of money to cover the drastically higher expenses that you want to see. It doesn't really work like that. You also casually dismiss the two projects that are being worked on that could represent the biggest growth opportunities for the league, those being expansion and tapping into the US market.

The only part I agree with you on is that the league should do more for the game at the grassroots level, for both boys and girls, from minor football up to USports. The sport itself is currently shrinking, which will hurt both the player base and fan base, but there are still sectors that could see huge growth (women's football and college football, for instance).

Comment

Its part of the CBA, the league can always go higher, but not lower than what they negotiated with the players in the CBA.

Comment

I think a big part of the reasoning behind that was also to shape together a business model for a possible Maritime expansion club that shows the league can provide cost certainty when it comes to labour costs for players and football ops. A new team coming in doesn't have to immediately step into an arms race to keep up with the richest clubs when it comes to staffing their football ops department.

Comment

I would like to see the League minimum increase by at least $15k. I think the cap as a whole needs to raise by at least $1 million or have an exemption for starting QB's (up to maybe $650k).
                  I know there's much more to the numbers than what is shown in their respective statements but a $1M increase in player salary expenditures in 2017 costs would've left the Eskimos and Riders in loss situations last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

I know there's much more to the numbers than what is shown in their respective statements but a $1M increase in player salary expenditures in 2017 costs would've left the Eskimos and Riders in loss situations last year.
                    It also would've done very little to increase the entertainment value, if anything at all. The CFL needs to grow their revenue streams to support higher salaries, not just hand them out with no plans for how they would pay them.

Comment

While the Bombers joined the $30M+ revenue club last year, most clubs generate closer to $20M...so we don't want to get too crazy spending more money unnecessarily, but I believe player salaries should be increased (especially with the competition of two new leagues.)

- I'd bump up the salary cap to $6.0M maximum ($5.4M minimum). Set the minimum salary at $62,000 (that's a 15% increase from 2018).

- I'd propose National QB's should be included in the ratio; increase the number of Internationals to 17 (from 16); increase the number of Designated Internationals to 6 (from 4); eliminate the 3 QB roster = 21 Nationals + 23 Internationals.

- A minimum of 3 Nationals should be on the field at all times (offence and defence with 4 on one side = 7 National starters)

- All contracts should be for a minimum of 1 + 1 option year (rookies and veterans). Players can tryout in the NFL Option Window in the off-season before their option year.

- Teams can match the offer for their free agents, retaining the player's rights.

Comment

Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post
                        While the Bombers joined the $30M+ revenue club last year, most clubs generate closer to $20M...so we don't want to get too crazy spending more money unnecessarily, but I believe player salaries should be increased (especially with the competition of two new leagues.)

- I'd bump up the salary cap to $6.0M maximum ($5.4M minimum). Set the minimum salary at $62,000 (that's a 15% increase from 2018).

- I'd propose National QB's should be included in the ratio; increase the number of Internationals to 17 (from 16); increase the number of Designated Internationals to 6 (from 4); eliminate the 3 QB roster = 21 Nationals + 23 Internationals.

- A minimum of 3 Nationals should be on the field at all times (offence and defence with 4 on one side = 7 National starters)

- All contracts should be for a minimum of 1 + 1 option year (rookies and veterans). Players can tryout in the NFL Option Window in the off-season before their option year.

- Teams can match the offer for their free agents, retaining the player's rights.
                        Very well thought out.

Comment

And last time it only increased $5k in year one with $1k annual increases after that. IIRC it was the first thing the League and PA agreed upon - just goes to show where the League and CDN OL lead PA are at.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Wasn't one of the reasons to move the season to increase the value of the TV deal, as well as seeing if it helps some markets who have seen a late season drop off at the gate? That is the definition of trying to grow the business, while addressing the tv deal item you have in your list.

Sponsors want eyeballs, so taking care of the fundamentals will help attract them. You need to have what the sponsors want before you can get them to sponsor you. It isn't about finding money; it is about providing value.

It seems you want him to stop focusing on all those things that are part of running the league's business, and instead spend time finding magic sources of money to cover the drastically higher expenses that you want to see. It doesn't really work like that. You also casually dismiss the two projects that are being worked on that could represent the biggest growth opportunities for the league, those being expansion and tapping into the US market.

The only part I agree with you on is that the league should do more for the game at the grassroots level, for both boys and girls, from minor football up to USports. The sport itself is currently shrinking, which will hurt both the player base and fan base, but there are still sectors that could see huge growth (women's football and college football, for instance).
                            Current CFL fans have supposedly been the most vocal about moving up the season, and keep in mind the average CFL fan is 50+ years old, so the League IMO should be asking the young fans what they want.

As for the tv deal thing: it was rumoured that the season moving up was an NFL network request, and yet the League is speaking with ESPN. Keep in mind that TSN is reportedly not overly interested in moving up the season too much at this point, so unless ESPN or NFLN are planning to pay a ridiculous amount of money; it may not be wise to p o your biggest partner.

Not sure where you came up with "magic sources of money", but w/e. As I said the League should be focusing on bringing in big money sponsors - which means the League needs to find a way to get a significantly large amount of the 18-34 crowd interested in the CFL (Most sponsors and advertisers care little for the 50+ crowd). It also means the League needs to be proactive and aggressive in finding sponsors. As I've pointed out previously: The CFL hasn't had a major bank sponsor since 2012. The CFL hasn't had a beer sponsor since 2014. The CFL hasn't had a liquor brand sponsor since 2016. The CFL lost Pepsi after 2015. Microsoft left after 2017, so did Draft Kings, Post Cereal, and CP. I don't know about you, but IMO those are some pretty big brands.

Social media, fantasy league/gambling, and word of mouth seem to be the "big 3" to gain the young crowd nowadays, so it's not all on the CFL. The CFL fanbase IMO needs to be more proactive as well.
                            Last edited by R.J; 08-08-2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

You don't get big sponsors by setting the goal of "getting big sponsors". What they need is more butts in the stands and more eyes on the TV. Expansion to Halifax would open them up to an entirely new market, plus it would mean more CFL games are being played, which means more revenue, fans, and TV time.

Moving up the schedule should give them a larger US audience, which would also be attractive to some sponsors. There is a market for CFL football in the US, but it really nosedives once the NFL and NCAA start up. More games in the summer should mean better US ratings.

As for TSN, it is probably a bit of a mixed bag. Thursday Night Football only works until the NFL season starts, so if TNF is a ratings winner, starting earlier will give them more TNF broadcasts to air. The shift may hurt them in other ways though. Most fans don't like freezing their butts off in the stands, but they will sit in front of a TV when it is cold. They may be more likely to find something else to do in the summer, especially on weekends.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X