Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's getting down to crunch time for a potential CFL team in Halifax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I wonder if they considered the "Tempire Stadium" option BC went with for the BC Place renos. I seem to recall they did it for about $25 MM. If they could get 10 years out of a temporary facility, it would prove up the market before committing major dollars for a permanent stadium. It's sunk money if they do decide to build something permanent down the road, but much less risk up front, and may be a way to get this thing moving if the NS government is too cheap to fund a permanent stadium.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Ruberg View Post
      I wonder if they considered the "Tempire Stadium" option BC went with for the BC Place renos. I seem to recall they did it for about $25 MM. If they could get 10 years out of a temporary facility, it would prove up the market before committing major dollars for a permanent stadium. It's sunk money if they do decide to build something permanent down the road, but much less risk up front, and may be a way to get this thing moving if the NS government is too cheap to fund a permanent stadium.
      Tempire was only designed to last for a max 2 seasons, after which it would likely fall apart. It was nice at the start but lost itís lustre very quickly particularly with huge lineups for portopottys. Loved the view, very happy to get back into the renovated BC Place though

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ruberg View Post
        I wonder if they considered the "Tempire Stadium" option BC went with for the BC Place renos. I seem to recall they did it for about $25 MM. If they could get 10 years out of a temporary facility, it would prove up the market before committing major dollars for a permanent stadium. It's sunk money if they do decide to build something permanent down the road, but much less risk up front, and may be a way to get this thing moving if the NS government is too cheap to fund a permanent stadium.
        With the existing 10,000 seat stadium in Moncton expandable to 20,000,+ it precludes the need to build a Tempire in Haifax. Also let's them start playing as soon as 2020, builds regional support for the team and just maybe lights a fire under Halifax politicos.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Colonel Klink View Post

          With the existing 10,000 seat stadium in Moncton expandable to 20,000,+ it precludes the need to build a Tempire in Haifax. Also let's them start playing as soon as 2020, builds regional support for the team and just maybe lights a fire under Halifax politicos.
          That wasn't the point of my post. Someone has to commit to building a $130 MM stadium without knowing if there is a market for football in the Maritimes. They can't wait two years to see how things turn out in Moncton, before they start construction, otherwise it will be 4 years before they have a facility. My hypothesis was that one could build a temporary facility that could last up to 10 years, giving them much more time to evaluate the viability of a CFL team in Halifax before committing to the full $130 MM. However, based on what BCRiderfan is saying, these temporary facilities are not designed to last more than a couple years, so my theory goes out the window.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Ruberg View Post

            That wasn't the point of my post. Someone has to commit to building a $130 MM stadium without knowing if there is a market for football in the Maritimes. They can't wait two years to see how things turn out in Moncton, before they start construction, otherwise it will be 4 years before they have a facility. My hypothesis was that one could build a temporary facility that could last up to 10 years, giving them much more time to evaluate the viability of a CFL team in Halifax before committing to the full $130 MM. However, based on what BCRiderfan is saying, these temporary facilities are not designed to last more than a couple years, so my theory goes out the window.
            And Moncton can be expanded for Touchdown Atlantic this season, so no need to build a temp facility as this site has already proven to be adequate. However HRM will have to commit to the $130M facility by end of June it sounds like

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ruberg View Post
              I wonder if they considered the "Tempire Stadium" option BC went with for the BC Place renos. I seem to recall they did it for about $25 MM. If they could get 10 years out of a temporary facility, it would prove up the market before committing major dollars for a permanent stadium. It's sunk money if they do decide to build something permanent down the road, but much less risk up front, and may be a way to get this thing moving if the NS government is too cheap to fund a permanent stadium.
              The Lions didn't go with Tempire. The Provincial government paid for it all as part of the cost of the BC Place renos. Much of the facility was provided on a rental/lease type basis by Nussli Group out of Switzerland whose core business is providing temporary stadiums and facilities. It was not a one-time cost with nothing more than typical ongoing maintenance being added over time. The leased components were returned to Nussli. Had they operated it for 10 years then they would have paid leasing costs for another 8-1/2 years.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Colonel Klink View Post

                And Moncton can be expanded for Touchdown Atlantic this season, so no need to build a temp facility as this site has already proven to be adequate. However HRM will have to commit to the $130M facility by end of June it sounds like
                Same old problem as the last time. I am beginning to give up on Halifax.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by commodore View Post

                  Same old problem as the last time. I am beginning to give up on Halifax.
                  There doesnt seem to be the lineup of opponents.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ruberg View Post

                    That wasn't the point of my post. Someone has to commit to building a $130 MM stadium without knowing if there is a market for football in the Maritimes. They can't wait two years to see how things turn out in Moncton, before they start construction, otherwise it will be 4 years before they have a facility. My hypothesis was that one could build a temporary facility that could last up to 10 years, giving them much more time to evaluate the viability of a CFL team in Halifax before committing to the full $130 MM. However, based on what BCRiderfan is saying, these temporary facilities are not designed to last more than a couple years, so my theory goes out the window.
                    But an owner isn't going to pony up for a team unless there is a stadium being built. They aren't going to spend money on a team and temp facility to evaluate the viability of a team.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by go riders View Post

                      But an owner isn't going to pony up for a team unless there is a stadium being built. They aren't going to spend money on a team and temp facility to evaluate the viability of a team.
                      If Halifax would have hosted the 2014 Commonwealth Games like they were supposed to, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The stadium would be in place. Hell, the team may have already been operational.

                      Comment


                      • 3 Down ringing the alarm bells?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                          3 Down ringing the alarm bells?

                          Not one bit surprised. Unless they could ramrod a new stadium down tax payers throats who right now are likely casual fans at most a new stadium wonít get built if left up to the taxpayer.
                          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

                          Comment


                          • I remain extremely sceptical about an Atlantic team. The willing money is just not there.

                            Comment


                            • Millionaires donít become or stay millionaires by spending too much of their own money. Just saying.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                                3 Down ringing the alarm bells?

                                Surprise... surprise...

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X