Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's getting down to crunch time for a potential CFL team in Halifax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's getting down to crunch time for a potential CFL team in Halifax

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/c...road-1.4750278

Thanks for posting this.

Man, would I love a CFL team in Halifax.

Obviously the stadium piece is the biggest hurdle as I think the fan base would be there and I think those owners are top notch - very Ottawa-like.

I really hope there is a creative way to fund that stadium. The owners can't be expected to put up all the money themselves on a venture that returns such small profits. I just look at Ottawa though and what their stadium/retail/residential development did for that area and have to think that if they can replicate something along those lines that not only will football fans benefit but also residents of Halifax and the Maritimes.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

What's the economy like these days in Halifax. I take it not great if the ultimatum is no tax payer dollars go into funding a new stadium.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

A 10th CFL team means the ratio needs to change. Ottawa coming back drowned out the talent. All for it if it means the ratio drops. Otherwise no thanks.

Comment

Just don't believe it's going to happen in Halifax. Too cheap to build or contribute to a proper stadium. Instead, they'll be all in for the new soccer team and that'll be it for CFL football.

Comment

Originally posted by hodge View Post
            A 10th CFL team means the ratio needs to change. Ottawa coming back drowned out the talent. All for it if it means the ratio drops. Otherwise no thanks.
            I'd be surprised if the ratio doesn't drop regardless. I expect we see one less starter and maybe even two less on the game day roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I'd be surprised if the ratio doesn't drop regardless. I expect we see one less starter and maybe even two less on the game day roster.
              Dunno. Ambrosie was massively agains a ratio drop when in the PA. Apparently the only idea he disappoved of more was US expansion.
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Would love to have a viable 10th team in the Maritimes. Would mean a trip or two out there for sure.
                Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                  What's the economy like these days in Halifax. I take it not great if the ultimatum is no tax payer dollars go into funding a new stadium.
                  They have some of the highest income taxes there. What they could do is fund it similar to SK where a big chunk is a loan. On top of that they could add a hotel fee like most other places and get a bit of funds that way. If they can get big corporate deals that could help as well. I do think the city needs to put up some money. The province could also use money for tourism to fund the stadium. Three million a year for 30 years is 90 million. Another 65 million for licence fees over 30 years. Then the owners throw in 50 million and you have the funds.

With I suspect lower building costs they could likely build the stadium for around $150-175 million similar to what Ottawa built.

Comment

I really, REALLY hope this stadium gets done. The CFL needs a 10th team to balance out the schedule, and the Maritimes are the perfect spot to make it happen.

Comment

...A 10th team would be fantastic!!!!!!...
                      ...Get creative...Use Lotto funds...Start The Maritime Stadium Lottery Fund...Or whatever...
                      ...Put a .0001 tax on a litre of gas...Until stadium is paid for...
                      ...This isn't rocket science...

Comment

I would love to see a tenth team in the league, but not at the expense of further erosion of the ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Enthusiast View Post
                          Would love to have a viable 10th team in the Maritimes. Would mean a trip or two out there for sure.
                          I would love to go to a Grey Cup in Halifax!

Comment

Originally posted by McGreen View Post
                            I would love to see a tenth team in the league, but not at the expense of further erosion of the ratio.
                            This is why expansion would allow a ratio reduction while still essentially maintaining the same amount of overall Canadian positions, or even slightly more.

Six starters per team would help free up several good Canadians and cover the starters needed for a Maritime team.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

I would love to go to a Grey Cup in Halifax!
                              Great city!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X