Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 CFL TV Ratings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

    How so?
    My generation was very very soft compared to my father's.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

      My generation was very very soft compared to my father's.
      How? I just donít buy the notion. Especially since the implication is that ďsoftĒ is bad. And Iíd suggest that its not so much soft as just different. Thereís no reason that each successive generation has to be the same as the last. I think to even want for that is way worse than the changes weíre seeing in society. So much change has come to technology and society because we werenít the same as our fatherís generation. Thatís an amazing thing.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

        How? I just donít buy the notion. Especially since the implication is that ďsoftĒ is bad. And Iíd suggest that its not so much soft as just different. Thereís no reason that each successive generation has to be the same as the last. I think to even want for that is way worse than the changes weíre seeing in society. So much change has come to technology and society because we werenít the same as our fatherís generation. Thatís an amazing thing.
        There are very few grown men today who could put in 12 hour days throwing bundles like my Dad did at age twelve. Just one example of both mental and physical toughness. I don't really have time to go over all the reasons why they were both mentally and physically tougher than we are today.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

          My generation was very very soft compared to my father's.
          Oh boy, is that ever the truth. The Greatest Generation/WW2 Generation were tough beyond words. Grew up during the depression, then literally saved the world.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

            There are very few grown men today who could put in 12 hour days throwing bundles like my Dad did at age twelve. Just one example of both mental and physical toughness. I don't really have time to go over all the reasons why they were both mentally and physically tougher than we are today.
            Meh. They did what was required of the day. I donít see too many instances where thatís necessarily required today - definitely not at the same level. Youíll have a very hard time convincing me that todayís people couldnít do it. The fact is that itís not really necessary nowadays. And I guess if youíre always looking behind you that would be a problem.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

              My generation was very very soft compared to my father's.
              Iknow my generation is soft compared to my dad's! Not even close. And generation after mine is soft compared to me.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

                Last weekend I overheard my niece asking her mother what camp she would be attending when they got home from holiday. It is scary how structured kids lives are now. We went to school all winter, but the summers were ours. If we wanted to play sports we had to find a way to get to games and practices on our own.
                My experience with fellow parents putting kids into camps isnít so much because of excessive structuring but because both parents work and arenít able to take the entire summer off between them. In fact, my observation is that most would love to stay at home with the kids if they could.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post

                  My experience with fellow parents putting kids into camps isnít so much because of excessive structuring but because both parents work and arenít able to take the entire summer off between them. In fact, my observation is that most would love to stay at home with the kids if they could.
                  That certainly is a factor. In this case Mom does not need to work. We made the choice to lower our income expectations so that one parent could stay home when the kids were young.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

                    That certainly is a factor. In this case Mom does not need to work. We made the choice to lower our income expectations so that one parent could stay home when the kids were young.
                    I hear ya. We went from two to one income unexpectedly and itís been a blessing in disguise in many ways. Weíre the exception with our kidsís friends parents though. Many of them rely on vacation time, grandparents and camps for childcare in the summer.

                    Comment


                    • Read a few RM history books. Its amazing how hard the previous generations had it. I could never dream of working that hard. One thing they did do for the most part was take Sunday off. Something smart that we have lost for the most part.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                        Read a few RM history books. Its amazing how hard the previous generations had it. I could never dream of working that hard. One thing they did do for the most part was take Sunday off. Something smart that we have lost for the most part.
                        That is why that generation, and I include my now deceased grandmother in that generation, were absolutely against Sunday store openings.
                        Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

                        Comment


                        • Referring to the title of the thread.
                          Where are the recent TV ratings for the last few weeks?
                          Nothing since week 1.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by McGreen View Post

                            There are very few grown men today who could put in 12 hour days throwing bundles like my Dad did at age twelve. Just one example of both mental and physical toughness. I don't really have time to go over all the reasons why they were both mentally and physically tougher than we are today.
                            Are jobs like that even available today? I don't think so.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Sprout View Post

                              Are jobs like that even available today? I don't think so.
                              My daughter is an ER nurse and works 12 hr shifts. That would come close from the stories Iíve heard. But if I look back to the work we used to do on the farm in the 60s and 70s, itís not even close as to how soft we are today. I looked back at one of my yearbooks from the 70s and I found one or two students that we considered fat back then. Heck those same students we considered fat back then would probably not even get a second glance these days amongst the throng of obese kids And if I watch even peewee age kids playing hockey today most of them canít get the puck off the ice with a wrist shot; something that most kids could do easily when I was that age. I have a friend who hires a lot of summer students and new college grads. He says they look for farm kids as they still have a pretty good work ethic, something that he says is lacking with a lot of young people today. Iíve also heard some young people say that they have found some prospective employers ask if they had played any higher level sports, which apparently indicates discipline and work ethic and will separate you from other applicants.
                              Now Iím not saying every young person in this new generation is soft; there are many I know who are great, tough, outstanding young people. Most of these also have great parents. But in my experience, over the past 6 decades, people are generally softer.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sprout View Post

                                Are jobs like that even available today? I don't think so.
                                No there are definitely no jobs today that could even come close and laws that prevent 12 year-old kids from doing hard labour. Dad was born in 1921 and worked on the farm with the men from the age of 11 on. Machinery has replaced hard labour, robots have replaced assembly line work and now computers have begun to replace university graduates in the office. I really have no clue where we are headed.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X