Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taman's Take: Elite teams require elite quarterbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taman's Take: Elite teams require elite quarterbacks

http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...e-quarterbacks

Interesting article by Taman. I know he takes a lot of heat on here, but I do find his writing style entertaining, and I look forward to reading more. But I have to take issue with one claim in the article. Taman says:

"The last 10 Grey Cup-winning quarterbacks, including repeat champions, are Ricky Ray, Henry Burris, Mike Reilly, Bo Levi Mitchell, Darian Durant, Travis Lulay and Anthony Calvillo.
    During those winning years, how many of the championship teams entered the season with any questions about its starter? Zero."

That's not 100% true. I guess Ray counts because Trestman gave him a solid vote of confidence going into the season, but there was enough concern about him as a starter the year before that the Argos made the stupid Drew Willy trade.
    And this is probably a better example: when Burris won the cup, they had just signed Trevor Harris as the heir apparent, and Harris was the starter for half the year with Burris healthy on the bench. He didn't take over as starter again until shortly before the playoffs, so it's not like he was set in stone as the unquestioned starter.

• Rotor
    replied
    Originally posted by mikejth View Post

If I am not mistaken Tillman himself explained the situation of the old CFL Forum, you are free to go there and check. In terms of how did Kerry play in 2008, he went to a completely different offence and he didn't fair well. As for Joseph being past his expiry date, again that is the GM and coaches call, just as it is their call who they want to replace that individual. Just as it was Jones decision to make do with Glenn last year even though he knew he was a sustainable qb, this year he is hoping that Zach can bounce back and be part of sustainable organization but that needs to be seen.

As for your comment both coaches had knowledge of Bishop, they also knew exactly how inconsistent he was. They knew there were 3 games he won throwing well under 50%, the only saving grace was Toronto's defence, they knew Toronto had benched Bishop in favour of Rocky Butler early in year, they watched Bishop screw up in the Eastern Final . So yes, he may have been their first choice because he was the only choice for a veteran presence, because no other team was willing to part with who they had.
    ffs you are not worth the time - that you actually think you know the events better than those involved - go ahead continue to wine that we dumped your Idol Joseph in the process discovered Durant - won 12 games that year while your boy KJ never won another 12 games over the rest of his career -

Leave a comment:

• mikejth
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotor View Post

look you have no credibility on what Tillman commented - if you have it in an article quote it lets read it - because sorry I win in the Eric said category as I can simply call him - besides lets assume you are right - lets assume its a paltry 25K - how did Kerry play in 2008 did he win 12 games? Did he win 12 games over the rest of his career? so lets say you are right - it was still a great time to dump a QB who's expiry date had come and gone and replace him with our worst case scenario Darian Durant -

as for Would the head coach and OC request a qb that they had a history with who had just come off an 11 win season - OF COURSE THEY WOULD - please find another veteran QB available who had won more games in the previous season - 11 wins and key personal relationships - OF COURSE HE WAS THEIR FIRST CHOICE
    If I am not mistaken Tillman himself explained the situation of the old CFL Forum, you are free to go there and check. In terms of how did Kerry play in 2008, he went to a completely different offence and he didn't fair well. As for Joseph being past his expiry date, again that is the GM and coaches call, just as it is their call who they want to replace that individual. Just as it was Jones decision to make do with Glenn last year even though he knew he was a sustainable qb, this year he is hoping that Zach can bounce back and be part of sustainable organization but that needs to be seen.

As for your comment both coaches had knowledge of Bishop, they also knew exactly how inconsistent he was. They knew there were 3 games he won throwing well under 50%, the only saving grace was Toronto's defence, they knew Toronto had benched Bishop in favour of Rocky Butler early in year, they watched Bishop screw up in the Eastern Final . So yes, he may have been their first choice because he was the only choice for a veteran presence, because no other team was willing to part with who they had.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus Aurelius
    replied
    Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

Riding the Bat Winnibago mobile.
    Hed going to see a side kick. Would Brian Burke qualify with his put together enough for a suit and tie but just to lazy to actually tie the tie count?

Leave a comment:

• Rotor
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I would bet Tillman follows this board religiously.
    LOL nah lost interest years ago

If I ask him a question - or he thinks he has something I might like to share

is about the only times he will even ask about this board - likely about the same for Stronson

How about Tom Clements? does he cut the mustard for Elite QB?
    Last edited by Rotor; 06-13-2018, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsexydawg
    replied
    Originally posted by squish View Post

It was 10 years ago dude. I'm sure even Eric has moved on from this. You can too.
    I would bet Tillman follows this board religiously.

Leave a comment:

• Rotor
    replied
    Originally posted by squish View Post

It was 10 years ago dude. I'm sure even Eric has moved on from this. You can too.
    did I bring it up NO

am I going to let him write fantasy NO

tell him to get over it - he's crying about a 12-6 team vs a QB who left and failed thereafter

Leave a comment:

• squish
    replied
    Originally posted by Rotor View Post

look you have no credibility on what Tillman commented - if you have it in an article quote it lets read it - because sorry I win in the Eric said category as I can simply call him - besides lets assume you are right - lets assume its a paltry 25K - how did Kerry play in 2008 did he win 12 games? Did he win 12 games over the rest of his career? so lets say you are right - it was still a great time to dump a QB who's expiry date had come and gone and replace him with our worst case scenario Darian Durant -

as for Would the head coach and OC request a qb that they had a history with who had just come off an 11 win season - OF COURSE THEY WOULD - please find another veteran QB available who had won more games in the previous season - 11 wins and key personal relationships - OF COURSE HE WAS THEIR FIRST CHOICE

Leave a comment:

• Rotor
    replied
    Originally posted by mikejth View Post

Not sure why my text didn't come through.

But in terms of Joseph's contract, Tillman has commented on what was offered to Kerry Joseph many times. Joseph was under contract for $275K for 2008, with a commitment from Tillman to look at it again in 2008. By Tillman's own words in the CFL Forum, he consulted with Austin before he left, and Austin recommended they should offer him another $25K. That brings it up to $300K, he signed in TO for $325K. So while you may not want to accept information that has been in the public domain for a while.

As for your comment about Miller / Lapolice relationship to Bishop has to do with Tillman going out and getting a veteran qb. Tillman made decisions all the time and then tried to include Austin in them, don't you recall the Armstead incident where he implied Austin knew about the conversation, and Austin indicate he didn't know about it and didn't want player in the locker room who wasn't happy. As for the comment about it making no sense because ET had never been around Bishop, Tillman was and is still good at finding talent. At the time in 2008, Toronto was the only team willing to give a veteran qb. The riders didn't have much of a choice, when they went looking. Did Tillman do it in isolation, no he didn't, but by the same token, I doubt Miller and Lapolice would have made Bishop their first choice.

Last edited by Rotor; 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tyree
    replied
    Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
    I prefer to talk about Taman and go_riders theory of where he got his suits
    My vote is stock up when Army & Navy shut down...

Leave a comment:

• THE RULK
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

The Napkined Crusader.
    Now that is funny stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsexydawg
    replied
    Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

The Napkined Crusader.

Leave a comment:

• RDavidson
    replied
    Originally posted by THE RULK View Post

Screw the writing, I want Taman to dress up in a highly stretchy bat suit and fight crime on the dark streets of Regina.

Leave a comment:

• THE RULK
    replied
    Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
    Screw the writing, I want Taman to dress up in a highly stretchy bat suit and fight crime on the dark streets of Regina.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRiderFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...