Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taman's Take: Elite teams require elite quarterbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taman's Take: Elite teams require elite quarterbacks

http://leaderpost.com/sports/footbal...e-quarterbacks

Interesting article by Taman. I know he takes a lot of heat on here, but I do find his writing style entertaining, and I look forward to reading more. But I have to take issue with one claim in the article. Taman says:

"The last 10 Grey Cup-winning quarterbacks, including repeat champions, are Ricky Ray, Henry Burris, Mike Reilly, Bo Levi Mitchell, Darian Durant, Travis Lulay and Anthony Calvillo.
    During those winning years, how many of the championship teams entered the season with any questions about its starter? Zero."

That's not 100% true. I guess Ray counts because Trestman gave him a solid vote of confidence going into the season, but there was enough concern about him as a starter the year before that the Argos made the stupid Drew Willy trade.
    And this is probably a better example: when Burris won the cup, they had just signed Trevor Harris as the heir apparent, and Harris was the starter for half the year with Burris healthy on the bench. He didn't take over as starter again until shortly before the playoffs, so it's not like he was set in stone as the unquestioned starter.

"I fooled people when I was the Roughriders’ general manager."

No, no you didn't.

Comment

Kind of funny article. Not too deep or anything, but I like his self-depracation.

Comment

I enjoyed it. Well done

Comment

Originally posted by Rhetorical Surf View Post
          "I fooled people when I was the Roughriders’ general manager."

No, no you didn't.
          Oh come on, you know most of us here (me for sure!) applauded his contract extension after the 2013 Cup. I can't remember exactly how that "fooled me once" thing goes, but he sure did

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

Oh come on, you know most of us here (me for sure!) applauded his contract extension after the 2013 Cup. I can't remember exactly how that "fooled me once" thing goes, but he sure did
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me..

Comment

He came out from under his rock did he? Must be going to try and act smart hoping somebody in dire straights will be desparte enough to give him another shot!

Comment

From CFL GM to weekly columnist at the Leader Post. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                  poor guy must live in Regina lol

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwall View Post

poor guy must live in Regina lol
                    Well, he might live 'under' Regina. CUE: Phantom of the (foozball) Opera.

Comment

Taman, The Great Gut from Winnipeg! Good fashion sense though!
                      Hand hovering over panick button..............just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
                        Top of the world!

Comment

While he played well in the '13 playoffs; Durant was never Elite. Elite is when you're one of the top 3 guys year in year out.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

He went all in to get the 2013 Grey Cup - basically cost him his job, even his reputation.

All contracts and team building were done thinking short term - it worked I guess cause we got the Grey Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post
                              While he played well in the '13 playoffs; Durant was never Elite. Elite is when you're one of the top 3 guys year in year out.
                              that is a solid point - however many seem to think anyone who wins a championship as a QB is elite except Marcus Crandel

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X