Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roster Moves - 2018-05-28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roster Moves - 2018-05-28


  • #2
    @IanHamiton45:
    The Roughriders announce they have released four players, including QB Marquise Williams. Defensive lineman Justin Horton, running back Josh McPhearson and defensive back Sam Williams also were cut.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow Iím surprised Williams gets cut over watford - Williams really must have come into camp having not progressed at all over the summer

      Comment


      • #4
        McPhearson.............very slow footspeed.

        Marquise Williams.............hangs onto the ball too long. Takes unnecessary sacks.

        Only surprise there is Sam Williams over someone like Cutrer.

        Comment


        • #5
          They don't mess around, that's for sure.

          And, while it was easy to be critical yesterday, we were playing without 8 starters on D, and 4 on O, including QB (first or second string), because we are good at that many spots. I remember pre-season games not that long ago where we were hoping desperately for someone to emerge to fill a starter's role - in several positions. We have progressed to where we are debating the relative merits of our third string. We have truly come a long way in terms of depth.
          It's professional sport. You're allowed to hate.

          Comment


          • #6
            I never responded to Beacon's question in that I saw Williams make a play where he came up to limit the gain on a swing pass. I guess the coaches looked at film last night and in some cases it showed them different that what we may have. Or like in the case of QB, they must have thought there was more fixable stuff with Watford (higher ceiling) than Williams. Same could be said for Sam Williams too, more upside to the new guys vs a guy who didn't show enough progression.

            Comment


            • #7
              I expected Marquise Williams to be cut after that game. He needed to show more after being here all of last year.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was a BIG fan of Williams and thought he would be a star in this league. He struggled on Sunday but the O line didnt help much. On the other hand BJ Daniels looked GREAT.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I am surprised we realised Williams already... I feel had either Williams or Daniels started us off in Q1 they would have both looked differently (Williams potentially better, and Daniels potentially worse). Watford just seemed to put a lot of heat on it and hope for the best, normally over throwing his target, and the defender...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Surprised on Sam Williams. I don't get their desire to force him inside when he looked pretty good at corner in camp. Was ahead of Lyles there by s fair bit IMO

                    Horton was a good C, but they are never going to play an international there




                    striker to SAM or perhaps Marshall?
                    Last edited by Beacon.x; 05-28-2018, 09:00 AM.
                    #keepthepromise

                    Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm a little surprised

                      Horton - showed nothing - fine
                      MacPherson - I thought played OK - but Jones said there would be cuts and replacements so perhaps another RB comes in
                      QB Williams - thought the team was quite high on him - yes he definitely hurt himself with his play - but did not think it was decision time yet - he must be not performing well in practice compared to Daniel's and Watford
                      DB Williams - surprises as I'm not sure who else we have at SAM?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kinda explains why Williams got so much playing time... likely a final opportunity to lock up or lose a spot. BJ probably finished him off. (That's what she said.)
                        You matter. Unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared... ...then you energy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                          I never responded to Beacon's question in that I saw Williams make a play where he came up to limit the gain on a swing pass. I guess the coaches looked at film last night and in some cases it showed them different that what we may have. Or like in the case of QB, they must have thought there was more fixable stuff with Watford (higher ceiling) than Williams. Same could be said for Sam Williams too, more upside to the new guys vs a guy who didn't show enough progression.
                          While disappointed, I am comfortable with the release of Marquis Williams. They have to make decisions soon and more reps for Watford and Daniels will help. While Daniels played against scrubs- he showed aggressiveness and some verve while Williams looked a bit lost.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rotor View Post
                            I'm a little surprised

                            Horton - showed nothing - fine
                            MacPherson - I thought played OK - but Jones said there would be cuts and replacements so perhaps another RB comes in
                            QB Williams - thought the team was quite high on him - yes he definitely hurt himself with his play - but did not think it was decision time yet - he must be not performing well in practice compared to Daniel's and Watford
                            DB Williams - surprises as I'm not sure who else we have at SAM?
                            Marquise Williams guilty of the cardinal sin..............holds the ball far too long. The more I watched him in practice, the more he reminded me of Sunseri. Very slow at absorbing what's going on around him. Darian also was guilty of that. Difference is Darian would eventually take off and use his legs, often getting himself out of trouble. Williams was like Sunseri...........gazing downfield.........then..........sack!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

                              Marquise Williams guilty of the cardinal sin..............holds the ball far too long. The more I watched him in practice, the more he reminded me of Sunseri. Very slow at absorbing what's going on around him. Darian also was guilty of that. Difference is Darian would eventually take off and use his legs, often getting himself out of trouble. Williams was like Sunseri...........gazing downfield.........then..........sack!
                              I am just going to throw this out there but could this be due to the change in QB coaches? JJ was more of a mobile QB and would run while Steve Walsh was a prototypical NFL telephone pole.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X