Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 CFL Rule Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2018 CFL Rule Changes




    The CFL Board of Governors has approved a number of rule changes for the 2018 season, including the elimination of coaches’ challenges for illegal contact on a receiver.

    The rules committee made a number of recommendations in March, all of which have been adopted by the league. The other changes include:

    • it is now illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards his own goal line, sometimes referred to as “blindside” blocks.

    • outlawed low blocks that occur outside of the “tackle box”, an area that extends from tight end to tight end and from the quarterback or kicker to two yards beyond the line of scrimmage

    • widened the definition of spearing to include any situation where a player delivers a blow with his helmet as the initial or primary point of contact. This does not apply to a low running ball carrier.

    • eliminated a loophole in the “sleeper” play rule by making it illegal for a player who enters the game and remains outside the numbers to receive the ball in any manner including a kick or lateral.

    • simplified the rule on what constitutes a quarterback making a legal pass behind the line of scrimmage by defining it as the passer having at least one of his feet on or behind the line of scrimmage instead of requiring that the release point of the ball be behind the line of scrimmage.

    • eliminated the “force out” rule by requiring a receiver catching a ball to place at least one foot inbounds regardless of whether he was contacted in mid-air.

    • increased the penalty for “pyramiding” – the practice of using another player to elevate one’s self in an effort to block a kick — from five yards to ten yards to deter the behaviour.

    Last August, the CFL made changes to the video review policy, reducing the number of challenges available to coaches. One of the motivating factors was coaches “fishing” for illegal contact away from the play in hopes of gaining an advantage.

  • #2
    Great decision
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

    Comment


    • #3
      Good thing we have some coaches that made those rules necessary...

      Comment


      • #4
        I won't miss those fishing expeditions of challenging for illegal contact.

        Comment


        • #5
          Don’t have any issues with any of them. The no challenging illegal contact is awesome.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Giventofly View Post



            The CFL Board of Governors has approved a number of rule changes for the 2018 season, including the elimination of coaches’ challenges for illegal contact on a receiver.

            The rules committee made a number of recommendations in March, all of which have been adopted by the league. The other changes include:

            • it is now illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards his own goal line, sometimes referred to as “blindside” blocks.

            • outlawed low blocks that occur outside of the “tackle box”, an area that extends from tight end to tight end and from the quarterback or kicker to two yards beyond the line of scrimmage

            • widened the definition of spearing to include any situation where a player delivers a blow with his helmet as the initial or primary point of contact. This does not apply to a low running ball carrier.

            • eliminated a loophole in the “sleeper” play rule by making it illegal for a player who enters the game and remains outside the numbers to receive the ball in any manner including a kick or lateral.

            • simplified the rule on what constitutes a quarterback making a legal pass behind the line of scrimmage by defining it as the passer having at least one of his feet on or behind the line of scrimmage instead of requiring that the release point of the ball be behind the line of scrimmage.

            • eliminated the “force out” rule by requiring a receiver catching a ball to place at least one foot inbounds regardless of whether he was contacted in mid-air.

            • increased the penalty for “pyramiding” – the practice of using another player to elevate one’s self in an effort to block a kick — from five yards to ten yards to deter the behaviour.

            Last August, the CFL made changes to the video review policy, reducing the number of challenges available to coaches. One of the motivating factors was coaches “fishing” for illegal contact away from the play in hopes of gaining an advantage.
            Love it! Less fishing expiditions!

            Overall these are great changes.

            The only one that I see really impacting the way the game is played technique wise it the low blocks outside the tackle box. Lots of receivers like to block low to force a DB to slow down instead of getting in front of them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
              Great decision
              Dave Dickenson and Travis lulay are in mourning

              Comment


              • #8
                the only rule change I have a problem with is the one where they MUST have a foot in bounds, no matter what. where I see this being a problem is the receiver catching the ball in the air inside the playing area and so all the defender has to do then is either Push him out or catch him before his feet hit the ground and carry him off the field. I don't agree with this one rule change and it is the only one that shouldn't have been changed.

                basically you're making it impossible for the receiver if he jumps in mid air way in bounds to stay in. this will be a huge advantage to the Defense and i can see it only lasting a year.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                  I won't miss those fishing expeditions of challenging for illegal contact.
                  Nor the specialized playbook where the receiver runs into a defender on purpose

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                    the only rule change I have a problem with is the one where they MUST have a foot in bounds, no matter what. where I see this being a problem is the receiver catching the ball in the air inside the playing area and so all the defender has to do then is either Push him out or catch him before his feet hit the ground and carry him off the field. I don't agree with this one rule change and it is the only one that shouldn't have been changed.

                    basically you're making it impossible for the receiver if he jumps in mid air way in bounds to stay in. this will be a huge advantage to the Defense and i can see it only lasting a year.
                    Really? Where you been forever lol?? This is very common.

                    Feet in, or you are no good. Easy call, easy play.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                      the only rule change I have a problem with is the one where they MUST have a foot in bounds, no matter what. where I see this being a problem is the receiver catching the ball in the air inside the playing area and so all the defender has to do then is either Push him out or catch him before his feet hit the ground and carry him off the field. I don't agree with this one rule change and it is the only one that shouldn't have been changed.

                      basically you're making it impossible for the receiver if he jumps in mid air way in bounds to stay in. this will be a huge advantage to the Defense and i can see it only lasting a year.
                      Maybe you're right but I think that was the rule before for many years.

                      I wonder if using excessive force to knock a receiver out of bounds would be a penalty though

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
                        the only rule change I have a problem with is the one where they MUST have a foot in bounds, no matter what. where I see this being a problem is the receiver catching the ball in the air inside the playing area and so all the defender has to do then is either Push him out or catch him before his feet hit the ground and carry him off the field. I don't agree with this one rule change and it is the only one that shouldn't have been changed.

                        basically you're making it impossible for the receiver if he jumps in mid air way in bounds to stay in. this will be a huge advantage to the Defense and i can see it only lasting a year.
                        I think this might be the first time I've read one of your posts and agreed!

                        Overall, I like the rule changes and I'll wait and see on this particular one. It might have a downside, as you have pointed out.
                        Ti-Cat Quarterback Scrappin' in Full Swing!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Giventofly View Post



                          The CFL Board of Governors has approved a number of rule changes for the 2018 season, including the elimination of coaches’ challenges for illegal contact on a receiver.

                          The rules committee made a number of recommendations in March, all of which have been adopted by the league. The other changes include:

                          • it is now illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards his own goal line, sometimes referred to as “blindside” blocks.

                          • outlawed low blocks that occur outside of the “tackle box”, an area that extends from tight end to tight end and from the quarterback or kicker to two yards beyond the line of scrimmage

                          • widened the definition of spearing to include any situation where a player delivers a blow with his helmet as the initial or primary point of contact. This does not apply to a low running ball carrier.

                          • eliminated a loophole in the “sleeper” play rule by making it illegal for a player who enters the game and remains outside the numbers to receive the ball in any manner including a kick or lateral.

                          • simplified the rule on what constitutes a quarterback making a legal pass behind the line of scrimmage by defining it as the passer having at least one of his feet on or behind the line of scrimmage instead of requiring that the release point of the ball be behind the line of scrimmage.

                          • eliminated the “force out” rule by requiring a receiver catching a ball to place at least one foot inbounds regardless of whether he was contacted in mid-air.

                          • increased the penalty for “pyramiding” – the practice of using another player to elevate one’s self in an effort to block a kick — from five yards to ten yards to deter the behaviour.

                          Last August, the CFL made changes to the video review policy, reducing the number of challenges available to coaches. One of the motivating factors was coaches “fishing” for illegal contact away from the play in hopes of gaining an advantage.
                          I like most of these changes, but they might as well outlaw blocking on all returns as a fair number of blocks are made by the receiving team while running towards their goal line. I also question what he change to the force out rule as most of these changes are in the name of player safety. I feel that this will encourage more big collisions near the sidelines, where it is more dangerous because of things that are just off the playing surface.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree with the rule changes, and especially getting rid of the “fishing expeditions” which many of us had been complaining about for the past two years. I sent a letter off to Mr Ambrosie with that issue as one of the things fans wanted fixed. He actually sent me a reply letter acknowledging the problem, something Mr Orridge never did.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KlutcH View Post

                              Really? Where you been forever lol?? This is very common.

                              Feet in, or you are no good. Easy call, easy play.
                              no I mean, the receiver is well in bounds and he's about to go down within the playing area. so if the Defender catches him and takes like 2 or 3 steps with him out of bounds and he hasn't touched the playing field, too bad so sad, incomplete?

                              I don't really know why they decided to change this rule? I don't ever recall last season any complaints about it?

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X