Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Season Up a Month Bad Idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bomber beetle View Post
    The author seems to be under the impression that all is fine and well with the CFL.

The reality is that attendance is sagging considerably and TV ratings are not what they once were.

The league has to try to find new revenue and get people back to the stadiums. Moving the season up may or may not help but the league needs to investigate all possibilities.

Personally, I think it is a great idea.
    The author also bizarrely whines about depriving fans of something at the end of the season. Huh? The playoffs aren't being scrapped, just moved up slightly so fans can attend and to increase the odds that it's football instead of snowball being played. Author also deludes themselves that CFL playoffs and MLB World Series are in much if any conflict.

As it stands now, we waste months of suitable weather in the spring when there's no competing football, and then we backload games in the early winter when the weather is bad and there's a lot of other competing offerings. Moving the season up 2-4 weeks is smart. The only tangible issue is the drafting, but that can be easily mitigated.

Comment

• It is also noteworthy that all teams generate critical revenue through concessions, parking, pre-game festivities etc.
      Particularly in the newer stadiums with better and more expensive concessions.

Once the cold weather arrives all of these take a fairly big hit.
      In a league where most teams need every penny this is a missed opportunity.

Comment

It is also noteworthy that all teams generate critical revenue through concessions, parking, pre-game festivities etc.

You make a good point about revenue and for the players to get more, this move up makes sense for all. How much beer is going to get sold for a game in June as opposed to the first week in November.

Listening to Ambrosie yesterday he was talking up the ratings on Thursday nights and how every team had to buck up for that first half of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Touchdown View Post
          The playoffs aren't being scrapped, just moved up slightly so fans can attend and to increase the odds that it's football instead of snowball being played.
          I see people have looked at the start of the schedule and not the end. The 2018 Grey Cup is on November 25th, one day earlier than the 2017 Grey Cup. The Grey Cup has been played in this time frame a lot.

The playoffs haven't moved at all, but we had to account for the extra bye week given to players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saskfan in Winnipeg View Post

I see people have looked at the start of the schedule and not the end. The 2018 Grey Cup is on November 25th, one day earlier than the 2017 Grey Cup. The Grey Cup has been played in this time frame a lot.

The playoffs haven't moved at all, but we had to account for the extra bye week given to players.
            You are correct.
            In 2018 the season starts earlier for the extra bye week. It does not end earlier.

Ultimately, Ambrosie wants the Grey Cup to be played around the third weekend in October. That means the regular season would be starting much earlier, maybe sometime around the May long weekend.
            It is this radical change that the discussion is mostly focused on.

Comment

It is also noteworthy that all teams generate critical revenue through concessions, parking, pre-game festivities etc.

Not all teams. The Lions get nothing from parking or concessions. Impark owns the dwindling number of parking lots around BC Place. Pavco owns and operates the concessions. About the only things they get are the sales from their own stands selling Lions t-shirts, hats and jerseys etc. There has been a beer garden out on Terry Fox Plaza for the last 2 years. I don't know if they run that or Pavco. Capacity is only about 100 for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hambone View Post

Not all teams. The Lions get nothing from parking or concessions. Impark owns the dwindling number of parking lots around BC Place. Pavco owns and operates the concessions. About the only things they get are the sales from their own stands selling Lions t-shirts, hats and jerseys etc. There has been a beer garden out on Terry Fox Plaza for the last 2 years. I don't know if they run that or Pavco. Capacity is only about 100 for that.
                I for one would love to have an earlier grey cup. It doesn't have to be 3rd week in October. The first Sunday in November would be great. We're running with 21 weeks this year, but we could easily go back to 20. That puts training camp sometime in the first week of May, which would be after the NFL draft. I don't see the harm in trying an earlier schedule. You can always move it back.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenandwhitesince82 View Post

I for one would love to have an earlier grey cup. It doesn't have to be 3rd week in October. The first Sunday in November would be great. We're running with 21 weeks this year, but we could easily go back to 20. That puts training camp sometime in the first week of May, which would be after the NFL draft. I don't see the harm in trying an earlier schedule. You can always move it back.
                  Just so we're clear, the only way to run a 20-week schedule with a nine-team league is to have one five-game week. Four games a week is 80, but the schedule has 81. So one team gets screwed playing two games in the same week, and we end up with something stupid like a Tuesday night game. If we get to 10 teams, 20 weeks is easily doable and we could even make it work with 19 (one bye week for each team).
                  ---

Author of Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (the inside story of the 1983 Toronto Argonauts). Next up, a book about the 1991 Argos (no title yet but working subtitle is The Year Hollywood Came to the CFL). To be published in 2019.

Comment

• I'd love to see the League go back to one bye week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X