Loudest stadium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loudest stadium

so I guess after yesterday's game TSN recorded their stadium to be louder. Hmmmm not sure if I like it

I've got some doubts regarding these db recorders. According to this link, each 10db increase is 10x louder.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/soundlevelmeters.html

So, according to th Guiness Book Arrowhead in KC has the record at 142db - http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/loudest-crowd-roar-at-a-sports-stadium

If IGF and NMS are around 100db, that means Arrowhead is 40x louder (that is impossible). At 120db, it says that is the threshold of pain with hearing loss after very brief exposure.

I really don't think any of these tests are that accurate tbh.

Comment

Same

Comment

Peak records are the same. No one is louder. It's a tie.

Comment

There was a lady in the stands at new Mosaic's LDW game said she recorded 111.7db.
          On the field TSN got 104db in SK, but 108db in Wpg. Thus Wpg has the 'claim' to being the loudest according to TSN's records, but I can tell you (& Kevin Glenn would agree) that new Mosaic gets (& maintains being) louder in many places - esp in the north end. Overall they're about the same - both very loud & consistently.

Comment

I agree with the folks above, these dB readings simply don't seem accurate from 1 league to the other. We experienced Winnipeg's IGF yesterday and similar to other years, it was loud... But it's a cheering/cowbell (not sarcasm, cowbells are huge at bomber games for some reason) high pitch loud, where as Mosaic is a lower thunderous loud. People in Regina seem to use the "DDDDDDD" (lower bass tone) when our defense is on the field, and people in Winnipeg seem to cheer when their defense is on the field. It's loud, but a different type of loud.

IGF's roof material has a big factor in appearing to change the tone of the sound. It's like the echo you'd get when yelling near a tin building... You can definitely hear the different tone. I think it's great and wish we would have went with a similar material (for the sound reasons) but I understand why the fiberglass cloth material was used instead.

A few notes from yesterday's game:
            -The IGF in house announcer is unbelievably good at getting the crowd pumped. His voice, tone and timing really drive through a party like atmosphere.
            -IGF in stadium audio crew should get credit. They play songs with high bass while the defense is on the field and that bass mixes with the crowd noise to create a great mix of audio assisted crowd noise. Perfectly legit and a great idea.
            -IGF speakers have more bass tuned in and less treble. This means the audio doesn't sound as good, but it creates a party/club like atmosphere.
            -Any Bomber fan complaining about the Riders playing music or having announcer talking/encouraging noise while the opponents are on offense should simply visit IGF for a game. The Bombers use the exact same timing and audio queues as the Riders (or vice versa). Audio straight up until the offense breaks the huddle.
            -As cheezy as it may sound, the Bombers do a great job of pumping up the crowd at every kickoff. They play some high beat song, the announcer fires everyone up with some yelling and the crowd continues to cheer. A lot of the kickoffs are after a TD or field goal so it's a great way to keep the positive energy flowing while the teams kicks the ball off... And that then continues on when the defense takes the field. Kudos on this one.

Comment

Pretty simple way to take the loudest stadium title away from Winnipeg - beat 108db at any one of our soldout games the rest of the season!

Now that Rider fans know what we have to beat we can bring in more cowbells/thundersticks etc. to beat the record. I'm sure there's some way for the team to market this & make a lot of money off of some merchandised noisemaker.

Comment

I've never quite understood why having a loud stadium is some sort of badge of honour resulting in a "my stadium is better than your stadium" bravado. Lots of variability in loudness which is influenced by providing free noise makers or the prompting by the PA announcer or video screen. Who cares which is loudest? Both stadiums are great with each having some aspects which are slightly better than the other.

Comment

I've been to both, several times.

IGF is louder. Most of that's based on construction. It's a smaller footprint and the roof is designed to keep noise in. In part for a home field advantage but mainly to reduce outside noise in the neighbourhood. Regina has translucent fabric that absorbs sound as opposed to the Winnipeg roof that "pushes" it back down.

I have no problem giving IGF the crown of loudest stadium in the league. Doesn't mean their fans are better.
                  Last edited by Bingo_Arms; 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Kind of fun to put a number to it I guess, but really.. does it matter?

Comment

The best way to silence an away stadium is to beat the opposing team into submission and early. If we could achieve that it would be so quiet you could hear bomber fan's dentures clunking against their beer cans.

Comment

One way that New Mosaic is better than IGF is our stadium actually reduces (massively) the amount of wind on the field. I've been amazed that on some very windy day games (30km+ wind) there has been almost no wind on the field - goalpost flags not even moving. Winnipeg's reduces the wind somewhat too being built below ground, but somehow it doesn't reduce it as much. Edmonton's & Calgary's fields are also below ground level - but Calgary's especially doesn't reduce the wind much at all.
                        Last edited by Jiminy; 09-10-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminy View Post
                          One way that New Mosaic is better than IGF is our stadium actually reduces (massively) the amount of wind on the field. I've been amazed that on some very windy day games (30km+ wind) there has been almost no wind on the field - goalpost flags not even moving. Winnipeg's reduces the wind somewhat too being built below ground, but somehow it doesn't reduce it as much. Edmonton's & Calgary's fields are also below ground level - but Calgary's especially doesn't reduce the wind much at all.
                          This last home game I noticed a balloon that had found its way onto to the field on the east side of the north end zone. The balloon was literally being blown around in circles until it finally ended up close to the home team tunnel.

It was funny watching one of ball boys trying to chase it down.

Comment

This whole noise thing is way overblown (TSN) Fans don't need meters to tell them their house is loud.

Comment

Who really cares?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X