Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reddit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    #1Fan Yep according to most posters in /r Sask if you're a rough rider fan you're a god fearing, truck driving backwards racist. I respect people right to an opinion but I find myself getting frustrated if I visit those subs.

    BTW how do you directly reply to a post on here?

    Comment


    • ROFLMAO
      ROFLMAO commented
      Editing a comment
      Click on Comment.

  • #32
    Originally posted by Greenest View Post
    #1Fan Yep according to most posters in /r Sask if you're a rough rider fan you're a god fearing, truck driving backwards racist. I respect people right to an opinion but I find myself getting frustrated if I visit those subs.

    BTW how do you directly reply to a post on here?
    Just use the quote function and then reply after that.

    Comment


    • #33
      Reddit is very left leaning on average, so that's where some of those opinions are coming from. It's a good place to go for news and other interesting stuff but it's just as biased as anywhere else.

      Comment


      • #34
        I read all these posts and still don't get what made the site crash for the last week or so. If someone would kindly explain it to me using old fart language so I can understand, I would very much appreciate it.

        Comment


        • #35
          Originally posted by KokanayRider View Post
          I read all these posts and still don't get what made the site crash for the last week or so. If someone would kindly explain it to me using old fart language so I can understand, I would very much appreciate it.
          Hard drive failure.

          Comment


          • #36
            I have never understood Reddit. I cant find anything on there.

            Comment


            • #37
              Originally posted by KokanayRider View Post
              I read all these posts and still don't get what made the site crash for the last week or so. If someone would kindly explain it to me using old fart language so I can understand, I would very much appreciate it.
              Hard drive seized causing a blue screen of death, and subsequent retires to reboot the machine ended in failure. No recent backups were taken of this forum's database so if we did get it back up and running we would've lost months of posting.

              Edit: As for what caused the crash? I suspect it overheated and seized, and likely from poor air conditioning on that server. That's my guess and putting it into layman's terms.
              Last edited by RDavidson; 04-20-2017, 06:07 AM.

              Comment


              • golfnut
                golfnut commented
                Editing a comment
                No RAID setup on the server?

            • #38
              Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

              Hard drive seized causing a blue screen of death, and subsequent retires to reboot the machine ended in failure. No recent backups were taken of this forum's database so if we did get it back up and running we would've lost months of posting.

              Edit: As for what caused the crash? I suspect it overheated and seized, and likely from poor air conditioning on that server. That's my guess and putting it into layman's terms.
              Hard drives have a life span. Riderfans was unfortunately on the wrong hard drive at the wrong time...I guess. I am sure that backing up will now be regularly scheduled. I am glad to see the site back up though, a fan base like the Riders needs a forum.

              Comment


              • #1Fan
                #1Fan commented
                Editing a comment
                I could be way off but some of the features (auto save when typing a post) lead me to believe this new site is hosted in the cloud? If so, I can't imagine the cost?

              • RDavidson
                RDavidson commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't think so. Looks like a VM at a hosting company, but could be a bare metal box too. I was looking at the hosting company's offerings when CRF was doing the move and the drives are either SSD of middling size or 7200 RPM TB drives.

                The autosave is something like Word autosaving periodically. Has nothing to do with cloud.

            • #39
              What is worst Facebook or Reddit?

              Comment


              • RDavidson
                RDavidson commented
                Editing a comment
                Does it have to be an "or"? FB comments are ridiculous most of the time.

            • #40
              Originally posted by RDavidson View Post

              Hard drive seized causing a blue screen of death, and subsequent retires to reboot the machine ended in failure. No recent backups were taken of this forum's database so if we did get it back up and running we would've lost months of posting.

              Edit: As for what caused the crash? I suspect it overheated and seized, and likely from poor air conditioning on that server. That's my guess and putting it into layman's terms.
              I'm having a hard time swallowing this explanation. The Web Host that was mentioned being used on another site is a big one and advertised Raid 10 storage and weekly backups. I'm sure you know but for those that don't RAID 10 actually involves 4 hard drives, the data is split between two of them (striped) for speed of data access and then mirrored between two more for redundancy. A single failure of any of these drives would not cause loss of data. The host simply gets a message the drive #X has failed, they yank it out and put another one in and it rebuilds itself. No downtime required and the end users wouldn't even know anything happened. Hard drives fail all the time, the end users like us just don't know about it. The only two ways this can go bad is if the failed drive isn't replaced because of incompetence of the host, or a second drive fails while the first drive is being rebuilt. Scenario A is simply incompetence on the hosts part and scenario B while possible is extremely unlikely. If scenario B did happen then that is what the backup is for. For anyone working for anything more than a small business this is exactly how it is done. For larger businesses the data is also mirrored among multiple physical locations so that if something catastrophic like a fire happens the data is available elsewhere.

              I'm not suggesting there is some sort of cover up going on but II find it hard to believe that a web host this large was that incompetent?

              Someone mentioned the cloud. Well the cloud is simply an array of drives that google,apple,MS etc... owns somewhere that they let you use. Nothing magical about it. The advantage of it is that they are going through the storage protocals that I mentioned so that you don't have to worry about it and short of a zombie apocalypse your data should never ever be lost.

              Comment


              • #41
                Originally posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
                What is worst Facebook or Reddit?
                Oh God Facebook. You cant downvote the overly poisonous garbage on FB.

                Comment


                • #42
                  Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

                  I'm having a hard time swallowing this explanation. The Web Host that was mentioned being used on another site is a big one and advertised Raid 10 storage and weekly backups. I'm sure you know but for those that don't RAID 10 actually involves 4 hard drives, the data is split between two of them (striped) for speed of data access and then mirrored between two more for redundancy. A single failure of any of these drives would not cause loss of data. The host simply gets a message the drive #X has failed, they yank it out and put another one in and it rebuilds itself. No downtime required and the end users wouldn't even know anything happened. Hard drives fail all the time, the end users like us just don't know about it. The only two ways this can go bad is if the failed drive isn't replaced because of incompetence of the host, or a second drive fails while the first drive is being rebuilt. Scenario A is simply incompetence on the hosts part and scenario B while possible is extremely unlikely. If scenario B did happen then that is what the backup is for. For anyone working for anything more than a small business this is exactly how it is done. For larger businesses the data is also mirrored among multiple physical locations so that if something catastrophic like a fire happens the data is available elsewhere.

                  I'm not suggesting there is some sort of cover up going on but II find it hard to believe that a web host this large was that incompetent?

                  Someone mentioned the cloud. Well the cloud is simply an array of drives that google,apple,MS etc... owns somewhere that they let you use. Nothing magical about it. The advantage of it is that they are going through the storage protocals that I mentioned so that you don't have to worry about it and short of a zombie apocalypse your data should never ever be lost.
                  I've hard a server with raid fail on me before, and I didn't need to see a message about it. I knew that it failed as the box itself was screaming through it's internal speaker. Replaced the drive and voila the problem went away and nobody noticed any degradation of performance.

                  CRF will have to fill in the blanks on the details. I didn't know that the hosting company advertised raided boxes, and I suspect that might have been a lie given how this thing failed, and they advertised backups as well and that didn't happen either, and I don't know what the SLA was between CRF and the host.

                  I work for a fairly large accounting firm, and we have some redundancies if things fall over. We used to use an office across the street as our fail over in case of fire or flood or whatever. Then the flood in 2013 wiped us out, and the back up across the street. Now we use Q9 which isn't in downtown and on significantly higher ground.

                  As for the incompetence, I wouldn't put it past them. But, I haven't talked the hosting company to get their side of it, but IMO, they f'd up and they own it.

                  Cloud is an interesting option. My tendency is not to. I've been burned once years ago when they lost my servers and the data with it. Had backups from the previous week, but nothing current. They came in, apologized, gave us money for our troubles, and agreed to cancel the contract without them coming back at us. And now, with the Patroit Act, I cannot put anything in the cloud, or at least anything identifiable with client information. Even with Canadian data centres, I can't, as I cannot get Telus to guarantee the connection between me and Toronto doesn't tunnel through the US, and even if I could get a guarantee, I don't trust that the americans are not already on those cloud servers.

                  Comment


                  • Sofaking
                    Sofaking commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff. I used to be the "on site" guy for a file server that had 48 drives in it (rack mount). With that many drives one is bound to fail somewhat regular. It literally took less than a minute to swap out a drive.

                  • RDavidson
                    RDavidson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah. I'm not an ops / infrastrure guy either. I do the operation's side of managing a farm of 104 SQL boxes, but that's it from a management perspective. Well, I do some of the specs if we need to create a new SQL box.

                • #43
                  Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

                  No such thing as a quick rehash.
                  One of your favs, was he?

                  Comment


                  • #44
                    Originally posted by Bubz View Post

                    One of your favs, was he?
                    Actually he is a solid individual and a great fan. I would have no problem with his return on here.
                    Holla Holla.......We Dem Boyz........We Makin Noize

                    Comment


                    • #45
                      Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

                      Actually he is a solid individual and a great fan. I would have no problem with his return on here.
                      Generally he always seemed to end up taking stuff too personally and would freak out at some point.

                      Comment

                      Announcement

                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.

                      Announcement

                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X