Weather Events and Social Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather Events and Social Media

Is it just me or people are over reacting and media dramatizing weather events? Yes, things are happening more often, severe and sometimes unpredictable. But it is a damn thunderstorm, hail storms, etc. Why people get all OMG!! on it is getting beyond me. To add to that everyone now think they are a meteorologist. They see a radar map and go all ape s**t crazy and predicting things wrong and miss informing their peeps.
    Lastly, these storm chasers. I get it is a Adrenalin rush combined with natural selection. Very few of them are smart, others not so much. Some folks are lucky to get sponsorship and do this thing for a living. I see a few more who do not have the means for proper equipment and the vehicles that they drive looks beaten down junkyard towing state that I see them driving while chasing. Just a disaster news story waiting to happen with one of these chasers.

There, morning rant over\

Storm chasers report severe weather.....Something Environment Canada seems to struggle with.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrider View Post
      Is it just me or people are over reacting and media dramatizing weather events? Yes, things are happening more often, severe and sometimes unpredictable. But it is a damn thunderstorm, hail storms, etc. Why people get all OMG!! on it is getting beyond me. To add to that everyone now think they are a meteorologist. They see a radar map and go all ape s**t crazy and predicting things wrong and miss informing their peeps.
      Lastly, these storm chasers. I get it is a Adrenalin rush combined with natural selection. Very few of them are smart, others not so much. Some folks are lucky to get sponsorship and do this thing for a living. I see a few more who do not have the means for proper equipment and the vehicles that they drive looks beaten down junkyard towing state that I see them driving while chasing. Just a disaster news story waiting to happen with one of these chasers.

Everything gets exaggerated on social media,...

Comment

'It looks like bullet holes': Hail damage, flooding in wake of Saskatoon storm

Comment

Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

Yeah, aside from the storm chasing part, much of the same could be said for the football fans on this forum.
          Mmmmmmm! Thank you.

Comment

Yes, people tend to get carried away. It's only a matter of time before we hear about hailstones the size of footballs or manhole covers.

Comment

Yesterday was crazy for the amateur weather folks pumping up the storms. Winds exceeding 120 kmh possible and softball sized hail were the terms everybody was using. Absolute worst case scenarios. I was expecting volcanos and locusts too. And I totally agree with you about storm chasers. Untrained people out there all trying for the perfect storm pic and they don't care that they are clogging the roads and putting themselves and first responders at risk when they have to come and save their sorry asses. Like the tornado hunter in 2015 going up to take pictures of the laronge forest fires and getting in the way. I have relatives up there that are still pissed at him

Comment

I personally like the weather updates on Twitter. Do people put up pictures of just clouds under the #saskstorm hashtags, yea. And sure, people see a funnel cloud and call in a tornado report, but there are also some amazing photos. When that tornado was in was in Alberta a few weeks ago, it was just average Joes getting pictures on their cell phones. You just have to learn to find good posts and skip the poor ones. Much like riderfans.

Before social media, you might get to see storm pictures in the Leader Post the next day. Now you can see storms developing as it happens and different viewpoints.

It is annoying though that everyone thinks they are a weather expert now. A few days ago, someone posted a picture from 2 years ago claiming it just happened. He was called out and took the picture down but it was already retweeted lots by then. But sometimes these armatures getting the best shot.

Comment

Was driving around in Regina listening to CBC and got a tornado warning for South West Saskatchewan initially to then 15 minutes later for South Central Saskatchewan. Hope everyone is safe. Trying to get info on how things are but not much reporting going on.

Hope everyone is safe.

Comment

They had a tornado watch out for Wakaw and severe thunderstorm watch for PA. Didn't even get a freaken drop of rain and hardly even a flash of lightening.

Comment

Despite their epic fails at predicting weather once in a while Environment Canada gets it right like in 2014 they put out a heavy rain warning for s.e. Sk.....Turned out to be a 100 year flood.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                        Despite their epic fails at predicting weather once in a while Environment Canada gets it right like in 2014 they put out a heavy rain warning for s.e. Sk.....Turned out to be a 100 year flood.
                        And then describing the storms as "slow moving". They dropped a lot of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

Even the plays/penalties of CFL games...

Edit: darn juice beat me to it.....I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                            And they did predict that it would be a hot, dry summer.

Comment

Originally posted by coralharbour View Post

And they did predict that it would be a hot, dry summer.
                              It is dry for sure. I went to Carlyle to visit a friend this Friday. I have not seen crops so bad for a long time. Most of the crop in that area is going to be a write off. that place need a lot of moisture.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X