Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods being sued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Woods being sued

Tragic story, but I don't see how this lawsuit holds up as Tiger likely has nothing to do with the day to day operations
    A bartender at Tiger Woods' Florida restaurant was allegedly over-served after his shift last December and died in crash driving home.

The deceased was an employee, so it is rational to sue the employer in this case. It just happens to be Tiger Woods. As an owner, even if you are not involved in day to day operations, you could be held vicariously liable for something like this. Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by chester68 View Post
      The deceased was an employee, so it is rational to sue the employer in this case. It just happens to be Tiger Woods. As an owner, even if you are not involved in day to day operations, you could be held vicariously liable for something like this. Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.
      Heís not being sued as an employer though. Heís being sued as the owner when the guy got drunk after work.

Personally donít really consider this news. Definitely not worthy of showing up here. These lawsuits happen all the time unfortunately. Who cares that it happened at Tigerís restaurant?

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say he was sued as the owner/employer of both the victim and the person who over served. As the owner, he is responsible for what happens at his bar/restaurant. This is standard stuff. I agree the only reason it's news is because it's Tiger Woods, but when you're famous, you've got to take the good attention with the bad attention.

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Heís not being sued as an employer though. Heís being sued as the owner when the guy got drunk after work.

Personally donít really consider this news. Definitely not worthy of showing up here. These lawsuits happen all the time unfortunately. Who cares that it happened at Tigerís restaurant?
          There is a "worthy" scale somewhere for this lounge?

Comment

Whether or not one agrees with the law or precedents, when a bar serves a guy to the extent his BAC was .25, and there's a culture of drinking among the staff of a bar (I read in one description that it was even "encouraged"), and the deceased was allegedly drinking after his shift with the owner of the bar (Tiger) one day a few weeks before the fatal crash, there's a lot for the plaintiffs' legal team to go after.

And as is the case with any lawsuit, you go after the person/people/entity with the money. If I'm hurt because of negligence at work, I'm going to sue the company rather than the maintenance person as the maintenance person likely doesn't have any money. Employers are expected to train their employees and monitor what they're doing. If this isn't possible, they're expected to have capable management in place to do so in their stead.

Comment

This is the type of thing that happens everyday and everyone involved is okay with it until something happens.
              No teacher, cake are square, pie are round.

Comment

Millennials. Not my fault I was drunk, they served me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post
                  Millennials? Overserving and charges/lawsuits related to that have been going on for decades. The first one I remember was at the Texas T in Saskatoon in the early 90's. Criminal charges laid related to a death from either alcohol poisoning or a DUI/accident. Can't remember. But this has been going on a long time.
                  Last edited by squish; 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

A super fast google brings up a link suggesting the Supreme Court of Canada had a ruling in 1973 about an establishments liability to their patrons. How wide of a net is "millenials" supposed to be after all?

https://www.servingitright.com/alcoh...ppendix_2.html

Comment

Originally posted by mixer View Post
                      A super fast google brings up a link suggesting the Supreme Court of Canada had a ruling in 1973 about an establishments liability to their patrons. How wide of a net is "millenials" supposed to be after all?

https://www.servingitright.com/alcoh...ppendix_2.html
                      Because everything is the fault of millennials, obviously, as the world hit peak functionality in 1986 and millennials are ruining literally everything for everyone. Of course, the boomers would never have blamed gen-x'ers for the deterioration of society. And, of course, those of previous generations realized things were perfect and wouldn't have blamed the baby boomers for the downfall of society.

It's not like, in spite of dire climate circumstances (damn millennials), the world is safer, healthier, richer, and almost universally a better place to live in today than it ever has been before. Certainly, the millennials are to blame for decisions the Supreme Court made in the 1970's.

Comment

Millennials aside. I have an issue with the bars being liable for this. I have no problem with them cutting someone off that is obviously plastered but what are they supposed to do about someone who say has 4 drinks in an hour and a half? That person is probably legally intoxicated, should they cut said person off?. How is the bar tender supposed to know how they got there and how they plan to get home? It's the person who didn't plan for a safe way home that is to blame IMO. Weyburn actually had an innovative initiative a few years back (words I rarely say). Participating bars would agree to pay for a cab for anyone who dropped their keys off when they were ready to go home. It's a little bit easier to do there because it is a flat rate and I never did hear how it turned out or if it is still going but at least it was a program with good intentions and some common sense. Blaming the bar for drunk driving is like blaming Canadian tire for a stabbing because the person bought a knife there.

Comment

You realize it's the boomer parents sueing right?. The millennial in question is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Attempt View Post

You realize it's the boomer parents sueing right?. The millennial in question is dead.
                            I do. That mentality is very common now however and we know who is driving it.

Comment

I do. That mentality is very common now however and we know who is driving it.
                              Do you get tired from all the mental gymnastics it takes to blame a dead kid for his parents actions?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X