Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onex Buying Westjet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Canyon11 View Post

    I would think that would be a PR nightmare to outright cancel the rewards, especially to their most loyal customers. Changes though? Who knows.

    Just got the WestJet card myself.
    I've got that one, its really the best one I've found. West jet dollars are the simplest and most useable of the rewards systems compared to the BS that is Aeroplan. ADd in the yearly companion flight, and its a no-brainer for us.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Canyon11 View Post

      I would think that would be a PR nightmare to outright cancel the rewards, especially to their most loyal customers. Changes though? Who knows.

      Just got the WestJet card myself. Signed up for the free checked bags and the 99$ companion fare, like everybody else, so I hope they don't touch that.
      Yeah, we love the card. We basically put everything on the WJMC, then empty out our bank account onto it once bills etc come out in order to maximize the WJ$.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by squish View Post

        I've got that one, its really the best one I've found. West jet dollars are the simplest and most useable of the rewards systems compared to the BS that is Aeroplan. ADd in the yearly companion flight, and its a no-brainer for us.
        Problem with the WJ card, much like the Aeroplan one, is you still are restricted. You’re restricted to locations and flights serviced only by WJ or their partners. That’s the main reason I use the Avion one. No blackouts or seat restrictions and not restricted to a certain airline partnership.

        I do like Aeeoplan points from AC flights. I get why some people hate them though because ease of redemption changes with Air Canada status. So someone who doesn’t fly a whole lot won’t havw great choices whereas I get priority rewards that open up additional flight options and I also get to redeem for the lowest rate - 25k points for any return flight (even multi city) in North America. Next month I’m heading to Ottawa for the Riders game then to DC for a couple MLB games followed by a trip home. That was the minimum redemption value. Like I said though, totally get why some people hate them. If I didn’t fly most weeks I would as well.

        Comment


        • #19
          https://globalnews.ca/news/5283919/w...prices-canada/

          From this article: The WestJet rewards program will continue on “business as usual,” WestJet spokesperson, Lauren Stewart told Global News. “WestJet will continue to maintain our frequent flyer program and credit card partnership,” she said.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
            https://globalnews.ca/news/5283919/w...prices-canada/

            From this article: The WestJet rewards program will continue on “business as usual,” WestJet spokesperson, Lauren Stewart told Global News. “WestJet will continue to maintain our frequent flyer program and credit card partnership,” she said.
            Right on!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Now AC is looking to buy Air Transat. I hate to see consolidation in this industry in Canada. The competition is too small to begin with.

              https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...nsat-1.5138180

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                https://globalnews.ca/news/5283919/w...prices-canada/

                From this article: The WestJet rewards program will continue on “business as usual,” WestJet spokesperson, Lauren Stewart told Global News. “WestJet will continue to maintain our frequent flyer program and credit card partnership,” she said.
                They always say what the people want to hear in takeovers. "No job losses", "head office will remain in X", etc. Then a few years later they change their tune. This is different as I understand they are just a holding company, but I remain skeptical. Which is not to say WJ could have turfed the program if they wanted, too.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
                  Now AC is looking to buy Air Transat. I hate to see consolidation in this industry in Canada. The competition is too small to begin with.

                  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...nsat-1.5138180
                  AC vacations always seemed to be a bit more pricey for the spots I look at.

                  This is one I worry about as I see more funneling of passengers to Toronto to make sure the planes are full heading south.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wonder if they plan a name change to EastJet or is that coming later??

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Magnum View Post

                      AC vacations always seemed to be a bit more pricey for the spots I look at.

                      This is one I worry about as I see more funneling of passengers to Toronto to make sure the planes are full heading south.
                      I’ve been trying to book flights to Costa Rica for the winter. There’s almost no way to do it without spending a night in Toronto or taking a red eye from Calgary.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by squish View Post

                        I’ve been trying to book flights to Costa Rica for the winter. There’s almost no way to do it without spending a night in Toronto or taking a red eye from Calgary.
                        We are resigned to the fact that when we go to Cozumel that its a red eye to Toronto from Edmonton but luckily only a 3 -4 hour layover. I dont like clearing customs in Toronto on the way back either.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

                          They always say what the people want to hear in takeovers. "No job losses", "head office will remain in X", etc. Then a few years later they change their tune. This is different as I understand they are just a holding company, but I remain skeptical. Which is not to say WJ could have turfed the program if they wanted, too.
                          Yeah I have a tougher time buying the "no job loss" thing. I am not so concerned about the head office part. When you think of real estate cost, taxes etc it's probably better to remain here. IMO, there's no way they can get rid of the miles and cc deal when their competitor has one. As long as it's not a money loser, I would believe that this stays.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Magnum View Post

                            We are resigned to the fact that when we go to Cozumel that its a red eye to Toronto from Edmonton but luckily only a 3 -4 hour layover. I dont like clearing customs in Toronto on the way back either.
                            I did the red eye to Toronto connecting to a flight to Cancun with AC vacations once about 10 years ago. It would have been fine except there was a storm out east and everything got screwed up like it normally does throughout the country with AC when that happens. We were too late out of Regina and didn't catch our connector in Toronto. It was a horrible customer service experience and a good one at the same time. The agent in Regina was awesome doing everything she could, the people we dealt with in Toronto were just awful. Apparently AC YQR, AC YTO, and AC vacations have no way to communicate with each other, the normally calm Sofaking was close to snapping . Long story short we were a day late but they extended our stay an extra day. We ended up staying in the hotel at Pearson at our expense the day we were supposed to depart. The rep in Regina was nice enough to upgrade us to first class on both legs on the way down so in the end it was a saw off.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

                              Problem with the WJ card, much like the Aeroplan one, is you still are restricted. You’re restricted to locations and flights serviced only by WJ or their partners. That’s the main reason I use the Avion one. No blackouts or seat restrictions and not restricted to a certain airline partnership.

                              I do like Aeeoplan points from AC flights. I get why some people hate them though because ease of redemption changes with Air Canada status. So someone who doesn’t fly a whole lot won’t havw great choices whereas I get priority rewards that open up additional flight options and I also get to redeem for the lowest rate - 25k points for any return flight (even multi city) in North America. Next month I’m heading to Ottawa for the Riders game then to DC for a couple MLB games followed by a trip home. That was the minimum redemption value. Like I said though, totally get why some people hate them. If I didn’t fly most weeks I would as well.
                              Good to hear about Avion! I have had the card for quite a while, put work travel and even some minor equipment and other costs on it for work when I can. Plus Sasktel, World Vision, groceries etc., every month.

                              I got over 300k in points but never really looked deeply into the specifics of booking travel with it (just read that it was good in MoneySense Magazine). The wife and I will look into a European trip next summer on points.

                              Speaking of airlines, I have always hoped that Porter would move out west. Loved that company while I lived in Ontario. They offer free meals and alcoholic beverages on all flights with top notch service. Also fly into Billy Bishop airport downtown TO. I think they would do well flying Winnipeg, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton etc.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Millicurie View Post

                                Good to hear about Avion! I have had the card for quite a while, put work travel and even some minor equipment and other costs on it for work when I can. Plus Sasktel, World Vision, groceries etc., every month.

                                I got over 300k in points but never really looked deeply into the specifics of booking travel with it (just read that it was good in MoneySense Magazine). The wife and I will look into a European trip next summer on points.

                                Speaking of airlines, I have always hoped that Porter would move out west. Loved that company while I lived in Ontario. They offer free meals and alcoholic beverages on all flights with top notch service. Also fly into Billy Bishop airport downtown TO. I think they would do well flying Winnipeg, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton etc.
                                I love Porter for NYC trips. Transit downtown, a little over an hour to Newark and train into Manhattan.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X