Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charges Against Admiral Norman Stayed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charges Against Admiral Norman Stayed

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/crow...rman-1.4413355

Too bad, I was looking forward to this trial playing out during the election. So they effectively destroyed this man's military career and sullied his reputation for political reasons only to drop the charges, again for political reasons. I hope he brings a civil suit against the federal government to recover a small measure of what he lost. $10 million sounds about right.
    Last edited by bohsask; 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM.

His lawyer was Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer.

And the government is going to pay all legal costs. How very nice of them.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

I'm surprised they're not fighting him on that. He probably wants an apology and to be reinstated as well. Meanwhile the supply ship the Navy needed was delivered on-time and on budget. They should be buying 2 more of these conversions at $500 million each instead of the $3.4 billion for the 2 joint support ships.

https://www.cgai.ca/the_mv_asterix_d...presses_at_sea

Comment

It is going to be interesting to see if or how they try to re-integrate him and I wonder if some retirements might be on the hirizon?
        2018 YNOT Champ

Comment

What an attempted railroad job! Apparently he wasn't even interviewed by the RCMP. What a surprise the names that come up were synonymous with the Lavalin scandal. I was sort of wishing he would win in court and get some of these sketchy characters under oath
          . I hope he sues in civil court.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
            What an attempted railroad job! Apparently he wasn't even interviewed by the RCMP. What a surprise the names that come up were synonymous with the Lavalin scandal. I was sort of wishing he would win in court and get some of these sketchy characters under oath
            . I hope he sues in civil court.
            I think this is a flaw in our legal system. That prosecutors can basically do a drive-by smear of someone, later drop the charges, and a citizen is left with no way of exonerating themselves. Once a prosecutor brings charges, they should be obligated to follow through no matter how hopeless the case is or publicly admit their mistake and clear the person of all wrongdoing. Here the prosecutor even while announcing the stay said that "Normanís actions were, in the mind of the Crown, secretive and inappropriate". I would call that slander.

Comment

Staying of charges is not an acquittal, and the charges aren't withdrawn. There are a hell of a lot of people who committed the crimes they've been accused of but had their charged stayed.

None of us know the details of Mr. Norman's case and I'm not suggesting he's guilty or not - none of us have any real idea.
              Last edited by Andy; 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I found it extremely interesting that he just happened to bump in ret'd General Leslie while the media was following him along the sidewalk......
                2018 YNOT Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  Staying of charges is not an acquittal, and the charges aren't withdrawn. There are a hell of a lot of people who committed the crimes they've been accused of but had their charged stayed.

None of us know the details of Mr. Norman's case and I'm not suggesting he's guilty or not - none of us have any real idea.
                  A stay is a withdrawal of charges with the ability to retry within 12 months if new evidence comes to light. Thatís extremely rare though. Only case I can think of that had a stay and then recharge is that murder in BC a few years back.

Comment

Too many sketchy shenanigans would be exposed in court. It won't go to court .

Comment

Originally posted by riderphan View Post
                      I found it extremely interesting that he just happened to bump in ret'd General Leslie while the media was following him along the sidewalk......
                      Last week It came out that Leslie was testifying for the defence. No coincidence the matter was dropped not long after that came out, their scheme was going to unravel on them.

Comment

Trudeau probably said they would pay his legal fees in return he wonít sue

Comment

Originally posted by bohsask View Post
                          Last week It came out that Leslie was testifying for the defence. No coincidence the matter was dropped not long after that came out, their scheme was going to unravel on them.
                          I am aware of that, I have likely been following these events more closely than most....
                          What I found to be interesting is that they happened to "bump" into each other as Adm Norman was heading into court.
                          There are hundreds of politicians and thousands of military personnel in Ottawa. For these two to cross paths seemingly by accident was what I found interesting.
                          I probably can't accurately convey what I'm attempting to say without violating the political discussion rules of this site or the social media rules of my employer.
                          2018 YNOT Champ

Comment

How very nice of us, you mean. We also get to pay the (much higher) costs of the now-abandoned prosecution.

Comment

In the press conference Henein threw some good barbs at the govt one of which Norman not firing his all female defenders. The PM was all um ah um as was the defence minister after the outcome. By the sounds of it if this new info wouldn't have been held back the Admiral never would have been charged.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X