Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recycling industry hurting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post
    I can just imagine the cardboard, plastic, styrofoam that gets wasted at places like the brick or Leonís
    I used to live near the brick in Regina and when I walked in the morning the garbage truck would be there every day, they had a big recycle bin that looked like it was picked up daily as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

I used to live near the brick in Regina and when I walked in the morning the garbage truck would be there every day, they had a big recycle bin that looked like it was picked up daily as well.
      A lot of what they sell should be sent to a recycling facility before it even leaves the store.

Comment

It has always seemed to me that people were entirely unaware of what happened to their recyclables once the blue bin was picked up. The mountains of this stuff are mostly unusable. At least in an economic or environmentally responsible way. It takes more energy and resources to ship plastic around the world to be remade into more plastic than it does just to make new plastic. Glass is also virtually unusable, unless bottles are re-used. The aluminum can recycling is about the only one that works.

I think, of the "3 R's" we used to hear so much about, the first two, Reduce and reuse, are the most important and practical.

Comment

The race to the lowest price has created a marketplace where for some things, a better quality item is not available. Everything is so disposable and not meant to last long term. We're putting a lot into the garbage-recycling-waste stream because we can't/don't repair anything and low quality product is not durable.

Comment

All in favour of a recycle fee added to the price of goods raise their hand.

Similar to the eco fee on electronics that no-one knows where it goes.
            No teacher, cake are square, pie are round.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
              The race to the lowest price has created a marketplace where for some things, a better quality item is not available. Everything is so disposable and not meant to last long term. We're putting a lot into the garbage-recycling-waste stream because we can't/don't repair anything and low quality product is not durable.
              Yeah, and I'm not sure how we can solve that. People are always inclined to spend the lowest amount possible.

It used be these items/appliances lasted 5x10 times longer, but they cost 2x as much. Since something that costs twice as much won't sell, manufacturer won't even bother to make them even if they could. Plus the manufacturers make more money because of the higher sales the current system creates.

"The market" isn't good at long term thinking. Very few companies do it anymore. Some governments do, but even there it is spotty.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Yeah, and I'm not sure how we can solve that. People are always inclined to spend the lowest amount possible.

It used be these items/appliances lasted 5x10 times longer, but they cost 2x as much. Since something that costs twice as much won't sell, manufacturer won't even bother to make them even if they could. Plus the manufacturers make more money because of the higher sales the current system creates.

"The market" isn't good at long term thinking. Very few companies do it anymore. Some governments do, but even there it is spotty.
                Its interesting, some things, like cars and trucks, last a lot longer now than they ever did before, but other things, like furniture or consumer electronics, not nearly as long.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

Its interesting, some things, like cars and trucks, last a lot longer now than they ever did before, but other things, like furniture or consumer electronics, not nearly as long.
                  I guess we just need to make sure that Walmart doesn't start selling cars.

Comment

It has always seemed to me that people were entirely unaware of what happened to their recyclables once the blue bin was picked up. The mountains of this stuff are mostly unusable. At least in an economic or environmentally responsible way. It takes more energy and resources to ship plastic around the world to be remade into more plastic than it does just to make new plastic. Glass is also virtually unusable, unless bottles are re-used. The aluminum can recycling is about the only one that works.

I think, of the "3 R's" we used to hear so much about, the first two, Reduce and reuse, are the most important and practical.
                    The shipping plastic around the world comment...I admittedly donít know a lot about the recycling industry. Personally, I do my part, but struggle with the plastic problem. I struggle with the fact that in this day and age, technology the way it is, the absolute immense ďwhat to do with plasticĒ problems every country is facing, that there isnít one entrepreneur out there that can develop something to address the problem.

For me, I get so upset buying a product, wrapped in plastic that far exceeds what is necessary. So that brings me to over packaging. Itís easy for companies, they donít deal with the end problem. So if thatís the case, government needs to step in and address it. But they donít. And in the meantime, the problem gets more pronounced. Plastic micro beads are being found everywhere now. Itís disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeywalters View Post

The shipping plastic around the world comment...I admittedly donít know a lot about the recycling industry. Personally, I do my part, but struggle with the plastic problem. I struggle with the fact that in this day and age, technology the way it is, the absolute immense ďwhat to do with plasticĒ problems every country is facing, that there isnít one entrepreneur out there that can develop something to address the problem.

For me, I get so upset buying a product, wrapped in plastic that far exceeds what is necessary. So that brings me to over packaging. Itís easy for companies, they donít deal with the end problem. So if thatís the case, government needs to step in and address it. But they donít. And in the meantime, the problem gets more pronounced. Plastic micro beads are being found everywhere now. Itís disgusting.
                      Reduce and Reuse when it comes to plastic. Leave the recycle to aluminum.

Comment

Reduce and Reuse when it comes to plastic. Leave the recycle to aluminum.
                        That doesnít solve anything. Maybe I didnít phrase my concern well. Industry/manufacturing will still use as they see fit. As I said, overpackaging, whatís the consequence...nothing. And yet nobody seems to be able to deal with the end product. Is it a contaminant issue with the plastic? I donít know, but as a society, government, whatever, this should be doable.

Comment

In Regina, the company ripping us off running the recycling program has been caught multiple times hauling glass to the dump. The first time they said it was a mistake; they take all glass to Sarcan who promptly refuted it and reminded the public they don't take jam and pickle jars at Sarcan. Then company said they were storing it looking for markets. Then they admitted that they "can't" recycle broken glass so they haul broken glass to the dump. Hmmm, single stream collection with all bins dumped upsidedown into the truck and the truck empties onto a concrete floor at the GTH. It would be amazing if any glass was intact by that point.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ners-1.2761004

https://leaderpost.com/business/loca...rbside-program

I don't recycle glass through the blue bin program. They want the glass so they can be paid to take it to the dump.
                          That's right, broken glass can't be recycled. And glass is 'inert' waste, meaning its not harmful to health or the environment. I'm with you, I don't recycle glass either-what's the point?

Here's a thought-what if the govt banned vinyl siding & mandated all new siding be 'bottle dash stucco'. I'm sure you all remember, back in the '70s, that house in the neighborhood that had broken pop bottles stuck into it that looked kinda odd?

Hey, less plastic in the world & place for broken glass-two birds, one stone, right

With my apologies to the people living in the lower mainland-according to google this is still popular there. Meh, there's probably a lot of houses out there that still have this siding, I just haven't paid attention.
                          National Champions '53 '58 '59 '68 '69 '78 '85 '91 '96 '01 '02 '03 '07 '10 '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18

Comment

I think we are too focused on the post-consumer end and not on the production end. There is so much over-packaging and so much low quality crap that can't be repaired and isn't durable so it has to be replaced sooner.
                            If we can't get rid of the bales we want to recycle, then obviously we need to make less bales.
                            The challenge is that is we can't do it alone. Businesses have to change too.
                            The over packaging is ridiculous. Buy a micro SD and there is probably 50x the material in the packaging than the product. Scissors in plastic that is likely twice as much as the product. I'm sure everyone has piles of examples.

frankly, products sold here should have some restrictions on packaging and any mass produced product should require packaging approvals. Pick a volume, and anything higher is considered mass produced. It won't take long for companies to figure out. After a fee years, expand the reach.

if you want a bigger voice, team up with California. They would be all over it, and their standards often drive US standards as it is.
                            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Joeywalters View Post

That doesnít solve anything. Maybe I didnít phrase my concern well. Industry/manufacturing will still use as they see fit. As I said, overpackaging, whatís the consequence...nothing. And yet nobody seems to be able to deal with the end product. Is it a contaminant issue with the plastic? I donít know, but as a society, government, whatever, this should be doable.
                              I think a government could mandate packaging limits. We could set up more reusable types of packing as well for larger items. Whatveer it takes to reduce the usage, because I think its becoming abundantly clear that recycling some of these things is not working.

Comment

Originally posted by hilltopsfan View Post

That's right, broken glass can't be recycled. And glass is 'inert' waste, meaning its not harmful to health or the environment. I'm with you, I don't recycle glass either-what's the point?

Here's a thought-what if the govt banned vinyl siding & mandated all new siding be 'bottle dash stucco'. I'm sure you all remember, back in the '70s, that house in the neighborhood that had broken pop bottles stuck into it that looked kinda odd?

Hey, less plastic in the world & place for broken glass-two birds, one stone, right

With my apologies to the people living in the lower mainland-according to google this is still popular there. Meh, there's probably a lot of houses out there that still have this siding, I just haven't paid attention.
                                glassphalt

this needs more exploration. The use of glass in paving by mixing into asphalt and concrete. It's not new technology.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read it is more durable, though I've read nothing that referenced climate. The big drawback is that it apparently increases breaking distance. I assume this means it would be slicker at times as well. So, mandate parking areas and park walkways and such use it. Heck, use it for pothole fill. Anything.
                                Last edited by Beacon.x; 05-01-2019, 09:44 PM.
                                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X