Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recycling industry hurting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling industry hurting.

Should be a good discussion. I may be inclined to support a government initiative to give the industry a boost provided it makes sense and they arent just going to throw money at it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5199883/c...ling-programs/

This is Part 1 in a three-part series investigating the state of Canada’s recycling industry.

At the Loraas recycling plant in Saskatoon, 650 bales of worthless plastic pile up outside. Among the towers of packaging: a crumpled parmesan cheese container, a spray bottle of tile cleaner and a tub of garlic mayo.

A lot of this plastic, tightly compressed into cubes, has been sitting here for months, waiting for a buyer. But no one has come knocking.

“This material here is very hard to move,” said Dale Schmidt, manager of Loraas Recycle. “Currently, it moves at a negative value and it only moves once in a while. We’re having a real hard time getting this stuff to market.”

I think we are too focused on the post-consumer end and not on the production end. There is so much over-packaging and so much low quality crap that can't be repaired and isn't durable so it has to be replaced sooner.
    If we can't get rid of the bales we want to recycle, then obviously we need to make less bales.
    The challenge is that is we can't do it alone. Businesses have to change too.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
      I think we are too focused on the post-consumer end and not on the production end. There is so much over-packaging and so much low quality crap that can't be repaired and isn't durable so it has to be replaced sooner.
      If we can't get rid of the bales we want to recycle, then obviously we need to make less bales.
      Excellent post. Recycling is great and all but as a society, we need to cut back plastic packaging to the point where it is eliminated unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
        This.... 100%

Recycling has always been a bit of a Red Herring in a lot of ways, but, when there is a valid use and you cant use the mass of what is being produced, it is a complete money grab by some companies.

Comment

There used to be 3 R's.

Comment

There's no market for a lot of this stuff, and it's going to end up in the landfill. See: Glass. If not here, probably in some 3rd world country. Well, as long as we can all FEEL better because we saved the world by rinsing and placing this stuff in a separate bin. And paying more money to the city.

Comment

It wouldn't break my heart if we wen't back to using glass for beverage containers and there are environmental reasons for doing so. Out east they sell milk in plastic bags rather than plastic jugs. Some don't like it but I do, it's certainly a lot more environmentally friendly and easier to dispose of. I recall we did this in Sask when I was a kid back in the 80's. Anyone else remember this?

Comment

What I heard earlier is the crash in oil prices made it cheaper to make new plastic than purchase the beads from recycled plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
                  It wouldn't break my heart if we wen't back to using glass for beverage containers and there are environmental reasons for doing so. Out east they sell milk in plastic bags rather than plastic jugs. Some don't like it but I do, it's certainly a lot more environmentally friendly and easier to dispose of. I recall we did this in Sask when I was a kid back in the 80's. Anyone else remember this?
                  I can remember working the packaging machine for the milk in plastic bags

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

Excellent post. Recycling is great and all but as a society, we need to cut back plastic packaging to the point where it is eliminated unless absolutely necessary.
                    X2 on the way excellent post

1g of weed can have 70g of packaging..............outrageous

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post
                      we need to cut back plastic packaging to the point where it is eliminated unless absolutely necessary.
                      Plastic packaging tax!!

Comment

Originally posted by bohsask View Post
                        There's no market for a lot of this stuff, and it's going to end up in the landfill. See: Glass. If not here, probably in some 3rd world country. Well, as long as we can all FEEL better because we saved the world by rinsing and placing this stuff in a separate bin. And paying more money to the city.
                        Not to mention the extra emissions and so on running another truck around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
                          Yup, I remember my grandmother buying bagged milk when I'd visit them in Saskatoon, and yeah it was probably the '80s. I also remember the milkman coming to their house, but that was probably the '70s. Suddenly I feel very old lol

I recall seeing on TV not that long a go that the world is running out of sand, so if true maybe that's the environmental reason to get away from glass? But we recycle glass, right? Well I've heard (don't recall where) that these recycling companies that pick up your garbage only recycle glass that has a deposit on it-in other words, wine bottles get recycled, but jam jars end up in the dump. Is this true? No idea, like I said, just something I heard.

But if true, then there must be no money in recycling glass, just like the purpose of this thread, in that there's no money in recycling plastic either.

I'm all for protecting the environment, but the system seems very flawed, in my opinion. That said, again pretty much everything I've said is based on 'what I've heard' so certainly not gospel.
                          National Champions '53 '58 '59 '68 '69 '78 '85 '91 '96 '01 '02 '03 '07 '10 '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18

Comment

In Regina, the company ripping us off running the recycling program has been caught multiple times hauling glass to the dump. The first time they said it was a mistake; they take all glass to Sarcan who promptly refuted it and reminded the public they don't take jam and pickle jars at Sarcan. Then company said they were storing it looking for markets. Then they admitted that they "can't" recycle broken glass so they haul broken glass to the dump. Hmmm, single stream collection with all bins dumped upsidedown into the truck and the truck empties onto a concrete floor at the GTH. It would be amazing if any glass was intact by that point.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ners-1.2761004

https://leaderpost.com/business/loca...rbside-program

I don't recycle glass through the blue bin program. They want the glass so they can be paid to take it to the dump.
                            Last edited by carmen16; 04-29-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

One large energy producing incinerator in AB could handle most of the trash from Man to BC. Win win situation. See Copenhagen for an example.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X