Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Inspection (Regina)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Inspection (Regina)

Does anyone have any feedback on a decent Home Inspector they've recently used in Regina? I haven't used one in several years and it seems like the type of service that could drastically change over that time period.

In Regina? Skip it. Not much they'll uncover that you can't.

Get a sewer inspection and bring someone along that can help you determine whether your basement will need to be braced anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

Get a sewer inspection and bring someone along that can help you determine whether your basement will need to be braced anytime soon.
      Thanks for the info. Sewer inspection/gas lines are being completed but figured it was smart to have inspection done to check attic, electrical (panel) and anything we missed. Basement's already been braced.

My last home inspection was on a new house so there was very little that came from it. Next house is older so I figured it was best to get an inspection. Is it simply a waste of money?

Comment

Originally posted by #1Fan View Post

Thanks for the info. Sewer inspection/gas lines are being completed but figured it was smart to have inspection done to check attic, electrical (panel) and anything we missed. Basement's already been braced.

My last home inspection was on a new house so there was very little that came from it. Next house is older so I figured it was best to get an inspection. Is it simply a waste of money?
        I think with the right inspector it is worth it. Iíve had both good and bad experiences.

Good: first time purchase, found a great place and made the offer. I thought it looked solid, but the inspector caught a structural concern (at one point there had been a small explosion in the basement that the seller hadnít disclosed) and some mould issues. Saved me on that purchase!

Bad: Relocated with work, so when I bought my house in the new city they sent an inspector. Passed with flying colours. 4 years later I get relocated again so the company goes to buy my house off me, sends in same inspector, and suddenly there is asbestos. Apparently that magically appeared in the 4 years I owned it. Was pissed.

Comment

I wouldn't call it a waste of money, they will make sure the roof isn't shot that kind of thing. I've always got it done although other than as was mentioned they won't generally find anything you can't. My room mate just sold her place and they wanted a home inspection. So they were in the place for over an hour when I finally went in to find out what was up because there is nothing wrong with the place. For one they couldn't figure out how to turn the induction stove on between the inspector, realtor, and buyer (need a pot on it) and a couple piddly little things that are easy to fix. Still pissed me off, the buyer wanted to fix what was on the list before removing conditions, some of which was obvious at the time of offer. "Professional Furnace service" not inspection but a service so it's probably going to cost $150 bucks for someone to change the filter and look at the belt.

Comment

I find them to be a waste of money but it depends how confident you are about house stuff.

You could also check in advance what you want the inspector to do because as expected there is a wide range. Some will only you tell you to replace your shingles and paint your fence. Or that your electrical in your 1950s house is outdated. Stuff you already know. If you can find one that will actually detect structural issues (mentioned above) that is likely a very very good home inspector.

Comment

Thanks folks.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

If your buying a house and getting a mortgage you would be crazy not to get a home inspection and lots of banks insist on it

Comment

I don't think it is a waste and it is sometimes a condition of mortgage.

attic an hidden mold are keys, along with identify potentially masked moisture issues

a good inspector will give young very handy binder fill of info
                  #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

We used Scott at Admiral. He did the inspection on our house when we sold it and was annoyingly nitpicky. I didnt hesitate to hire him when we bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Attempt View Post
                      We used Scott at Admiral. He did the inspection on our house when we sold it and was annoyingly nitpicky. I didnt hesitate to hire him when we bought.
                      He was good for us as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

I wouldn't call it a waste of money, they will make sure the roof isn't shot that kind of thing. I've always got it done although other than as was mentioned they won't generally find anything you can't. My room mate just sold her place and they wanted a home inspection. So they were in the place for over an hour when I finally went in to find out what was up because there is nothing wrong with the place. For one they couldn't figure out how to turn the induction stove on between the inspector, realtor, and buyer (need a pot on it) and a couple piddly little things that are easy to fix. Still pissed me off, the buyer wanted to fix what was on the list before removing conditions, some of which was obvious at the time of offer. "Professional Furnace service" not inspection but a service so it's probably going to cost $150 bucks for someone to change the filter and look at the belt.
                        I was wrong... The furnace needs an ignition assembly. I watched the guy troubleshoot it and he isn't bsing.

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

If your buying a house and getting a mortgage you would be crazy not to get a home inspection and lots of banks insist on it
                          Lenders don't require a home inspection but they are sure recommended. $400 to save thousands potentially or not buy the wrong house. Also a good idea to do one if you are going to list your house - deal with the issues up front or be able to disclose them so you don't have the buyer wanting money off when you can address that at the time they are writing an offer.

I have also heard that Scott at Admiral is great. Some Realtor friends always go to him.

Comment

Originally posted by rybo View Post

Lenders don't require a home inspection but they are sure recommended. $400 to save thousands potentially or not buy the wrong house. Also a good idea to do one if you are going to list your house - deal with the issues up front or be able to disclose them so you don't have the buyer wanting money off when you can address that at the time they are writing an offer.

I have also heard that Scott at Admiral is great. Some Realtor friends always go to him.
                            Stay away from Calibre - if they are still in business. Did not disclose that:
                            • The shingles were shot. The roof leaked like a sieve and collapsed part of my bathroom ceiling.
                            • The south basement wall leaked like a sieve and needed bracing. $11K later and a cracked driveway from putting the excavated soil onto it.
                            I should have walked away from the deal on possession day when the basement carpets were damp under the guise of just having been shampooed. It was a rainy June.

Comment

Welp. I found an inspector and had a home inspected this last week. No offense to those who say they're a waste of money but I can't imagine why you wouldn't pay the small fee to use one.

The 50+ page report and incredible detail to every little thing you wouldn't even think to look for is incredible value. The guy guarantees his inspection and as part of the guarantee, offerered a 5 year warranty on roof/shingles, 6 month on sewer, etc.

For the life of me, I can't imagine not spending the few hundred dollars to have this completed on any house not brand new...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X