Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone watching "Jeopardy"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$131,127 Another single day record.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

Who's offended? I thought we were just taking the piss on each other? All Canadian team fans should be able to do that with none having any reason to brag.
      Umm, you take the piss OUT of each other. Maybe things are done differently in Newfoundland?

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
        Just interesting, so they film 1 week of jeopardy in a single day. Contestants have like a half hour to change clothes and use the washroom between episodes. They film two weeks in 2 days back to back and then have 12 days off.

so this guy that is over half a mil in 10 days, actually made that in 2 days, that have been spread out for 10 days for the television audience

my point is how crazy would that be to make 500K in 2 days

Comment

Challenge accepted

#keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

And almost $700,000. Idle speculation: if he were to win 70+ games, as Ken Jennings did, his current per-game average would bring him something over $5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post

Just interesting, so they film 1 week of jeopardy in a single day. Contestants have like a half hour to change clothes and use the washroom between episodes. They film two weeks in 2 days back to back and then have 12 days off.
              Another note: the games are filmed many weeks ahead of their air dates, & people in the 2-week contestant pool are sequestered until they're called on to play. How'd you like to wait for months or years to get your chance to play, & when you finally do Alex informs you, out of the blue, that you're facing the most dominant game-by-game player in the show's history?
              Last edited by Oldguard; 04-17-2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldguard View Post
                Another note: the games are filmed many weeks ahead of their air dates, & people in the 2-week contestant pool are sequestered until they're called on to play. How'd you like to wait for months or years to get your chance to play, & when you finally do Alex informs you, out of the blue, that you're facing the most dominant game-by-game player in the show's history?
                Did you see the two poor ladies tonight? They were fodder. Probably really smart individuals normally who aspired to this moment for a long time, and they were absolutely crushed. By the second round they were laughing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post

Did you see the two poor ladies tonight? They were fodder. Probably really smart individuals normally who aspired to this moment for a long time, and they were absolutely crushed. By the second round they were laughing about it.
                  And they actually were more competitive than many of the players he's faced. He's been absolutely bulldozing people every game.

Comment

And almost $700,000. Idle speculation: if he were to win 70+ games, as Ken Jennings did, his current per-game average would bring him something over $5 million.
                    Like you said, I can't imagine who could possibly beat him. Ken Jennings was very good, this guy is simply dominant.

Comment

And they actually were more competitive than many of the players he's faced. He's been absolutely bulldozing people every game.
                      I think he even gave them a few freebies at the end. There was questions about magazines and one of the answers (even I got it) was very clearly Sports Illustrated. Considering heís a sports gambler thereís no way he didnít know it, but one of the ladies got the question instead of him.

Comment

Like you said, I can't imagine who could possibly beat him. Ken Jennings was very good, this guy is simply dominant.
                        Jennings was way more than "simply dominant". While he may not have bet as big as Holzauer, something like 90% of his wins were runaways (can't be caught heading into Final Jeopardy). Nobody has come close to Jennings' 75+ wins, and possibly never will. To put it into perspective nobody else has even won 20 in a row.

Holzauer has been blowing people out of the water and absolutely has the potential to top Jennings, but it's like comparing a guy who's hit safely in 20 games to Joe Dimaggio. He's got brass cojones and isn't afraid to run up the score - Jennings was more conservative, but few competitors were ever within striking distance.

I've been enjoying Holzauer a lot, don't get me wrong, but he's got a hell of a long way to go to reach Jennings' level of success in terms of dominance.
                        ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

Jennings was way more than "simply dominant". While he may not have bet as big as Holzauer, something like 90% of his wins were runaways (can't be caught heading into Final Jeopardy). Nobody has come close to Jennings' 75+ wins, and possibly never will. To put it into perspective nobody else has even won 20 in a row.

Holzauer has been blowing people out of the water and absolutely has the potential to top Jennings, but it's like comparing a guy who's hit safely in 20 games to Joe Dimaggio. He's got brass cojones and isn't afraid to run up the score - Jennings was more conservative, but few competitors were ever within striking distance.

I've been enjoying Holzauer a lot, don't get me wrong, but he's got a hell of a long way to go to reach Jennings' level of success in terms of dominance.
                          ​​​​
                          I don't disagree but one more win and he is 1/3 of the way there money wise in 11 games...

Jeopardy should have an off season PPV "Jennings VS Holzauer one on one" I'm almost serious.

Comment

I'd like to see a breakdown of the percentage of total questions answered** - and answered correctly - by each. As the amount of money won is entirely dependent on daily doubles found, when they're found, if they are answered correctly, and the wagers placed on them and Final Jeopardy, money won is only one indicator of performance. You could make a convincing argument that it's the least important indicator as a person could answer a handful of questions correctly, but find the daily doubles at the right time and bet big for a significant payday, even when correctly answering fewer questions than their opponents.

I watch a lot of Jeopardy!, and still very vividly remember how unbeatable Jennings was. Holzauer is an absolute beast, too.

Further, Jeopardy! has had many tournaments of champions that included tops of different decades and other gimmicks, like the team tournament they ran a couple of months back. There are some competitors from the era when you could only win 5 in a row before being retired who almost certainly could have done everything Jennings/Holzauer did. Also, the old dollar values (100-500 in the first round, 200-1000 in Double Jeopardy) skew the historical record significantly.

**of course, this should read "answers questioned" or something similar, but that's way, way too awkward!

​​​​
                            Last edited by Andy; 04-18-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Cliff Claven deserves one more chance.

Comment

Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post
                                Cliff Claven deserves one more chance.
                                He was robbed. His answer wasn't wrong.

this has all given me a hankering to watch 'caucasian persons of masculine persuasion are sometimes challenged to create vertical separation via physical effort,' with Woody Harrelson. We can't say white. Or men.
                                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X