Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civic or Corolla

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Civic or Corolla

    I drive a Tundra which gets about 8 miles to the gallon in the city and I don't really even need a truck 95 % of the time, or at least in the summer months. With the gas prices where they are at , I am looking for something a little more practical.

    I have it narrowed down to a Civic or a Corolla and I am looking at brand new because they really aren't much cheaper used. The Cruise, Dart and Focus really aren't options for me because I plan on driving it for the next 15 plus years.

    I am leaning towards the Civic ( with a manual transmission ).

    Any thoughts, advice or opinions ?

  • #2
    My 2017 Honda Civic Touring is absolutely awesome on gas. Oftentimes it takes me 2.5 weeks in between fill-ups.
    Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Drive them both.

      We're in the market for a small SUV and I was absolutely shocked at how loud the RAV4 is compared to the CR-V when we drove them last week. The transmission is ridiculously loud. The RAV4 was tops on our list until the test drive. Not anymore. It pays to sit in them and vet them that way.

      Comment


      • #4
        I drive a Mazda CX3. Itís small but amazing. Have you checked out Mazda? I donít care for the Civicís styling; too much going on on the back end. :-o

        Comment


        • #5
          Iíve got a Camry Hybrid if your looking for something a bit bigger but still great on fuel. My sister in law has a civic and she seems quite happy with it.

          Honestly when looking at smaller cars itís damn near impossible to go wrong with Honda or Toyota.

          Comment


          • #6
            When I was looking for an SuV recently I would have loved to consider a Honda CR-V but the new CR-V's have the same engine as the new civic and it was having huge issues in cold climates. In January, Honda announced a recall prioritizing the coldest climates first. I eliminated Honda from the running for that reason. Maybe they have a solution but I would do some research first.

            Comment


            • #7
              I still drive the 2005 Corolla I bought New every day. Don't even know how many Miles are on it, as the Odometer tops out at 299 999 KM, and we went over that in 2014.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Clambake View Post
                I drive a Tundra which gets about 8 miles to the gallon in the city and I don't really even need a truck 95 % of the time, or at least in the summer months. With the gas prices where they are at , I am looking for something a little more practical.

                I have it narrowed down to a Civic or a Corolla and I am looking at brand new because they really aren't much cheaper used. The Cruise, Dart and Focus really aren't options for me because I plan on driving it for the next 15 plus years.

                I am leaning towards the Civic ( with a manual transmission ).

                Any thoughts, advice or opinions ?
                I don't think there's a wrong answer here. Comes down to the styling and comfort you prefer. Externally, I think the newest Civics look pretty cool, but also a look that will be pretty dated in 10 years. Toyotas have always had "safer" styling, that could be argued tend towards the boring. Lately, I've more emphasis on interior design, as you see and use that a lot more than what the exterior of the car looks like.

                I've never used the HOnda dealership here, but I hear they are OK. I have had a lot of experience with the Taylor dealerships and have no complaints whatsoever about them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here's a link to the issue but google Honda 1.5 litre engine trouble and lots comes up

                  https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/ho...lution-problem

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post
                    When I was looking for an SuV recently I would have loved to consider a Honda CR-V but the new CR-V's have the same engine as the new civic and it was having huge issues in cold climates. In January, Honda announced a recall prioritizing the coldest climates first. I eliminated Honda from the running for that reason. Maybe they have a solution but I would do some research first.
                    I have heard that also but then later heard it was just the turbo version. In my opinion if you are stupid enough to buy a turbo , you deserve what you get unless it's a big diesel truck.

                    Those new CVT transmissions have me a bit worried thus the reason I would like a standard.
                    Last edited by Clambake; 04-16-2019, 02:55 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Clambake View Post

                      I have heard that also but then later heard it was just the turbo version. In my opinion if you are stupid to buy a turbo , you deserve what you get unless it's a big diesel truck.

                      Those new CVT transmissions have me a big worried thus the reason I would like a standard.
                      You are correct it is related to the turbo but it seems there are a lot of stupid people out there:

                      Part of Hondaís highly efficient ďEarth DreamsĒ engine family, the 4-cyl. is standard on all but the base model CR-V and on upper-trim EX, EX-L and Touring models of the Civic. Wards Intelligence data shows 82% of the 766,000 í17-í18 CR-Vs sold in the U.S. were equipped with the 1.5L, while about 47% of the 1.1 million í16-í18 Civics came with the turbo powerplant.
                      It looks like you are limited to the base model of Civic if you don't want to be "stupid". The CVT is a great transmission that will outlast other automatics but will be costly in the event it needs repair. I have one in a Nissan Murano and went with extended warranty.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm kind of in a similar boat. I have an SUV that 99% of the time has one person in it. I think I'm going the lightly used route though 3 or 4 years old, 50,000k or so. A dealership is always going to try to convince you that you aren't saving much by going used but you can. I've got it narrowed down to 5.

                        Corolla/Camry
                        Civic/Accord
                        Golf (tdi preferably)

                        Manual/Auto doesn't really matter to me, I will say a manual is more difficult to sell and will be even moreso 15 years from now and they don't really get much better mileage anymore. I'm not sure I could ever get used to a CVT.

                        I've driven older versions of all of these cars except the Accord. I included the Camry and Accord on my list not because I need anything bigger than a Corolla or Civic but because they seem to depreciate quicker and if I'm going used then I might as well and try and get the best deal. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I've never been a big fan of Toyotas interiors but like I said I've never been in a new one. The new civic hatch backs look a little flashy to me particularly the Si. Maybe if I was 20 years younger... The golf is in there simply because I've always liked them and the TDI in particular will literally go forever and has ridiculous gas mileage, my kid had one with 460K on it that ran just fine. Unfortunately they don't make a new one with a diesel.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          No matter which vehicle one chooses an option I am extremely impressed with is the adaptive cruise. You set the maximum speed and the vehicle sends out radar and will match the speed of the vehicle in front of you if you get to close, up to the maximum speed you set. Very safe and eliminates speeding tickets which are insane now with all the photo radar traps. The perfect option for freeway driving

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post
                            No matter which vehicle one chooses an option I am extremely impressed with is the adaptive cruise. You set the maximum speed and the vehicle sends out radar and will match the speed of the vehicle in front of you if you get to close, up to the maximum speed you set. Very safe and eliminates speeding tickets which are insane now with all the photo radar traps. The perfect option for freeway driving
                            Yep it's handy, my Jeep GC had that. It would also hit the brakes automatically if the cruise was on and it thought you were going to hit something. Only did it once but it kind of startled me and it wasn't necessary in the situation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I really dont think a person could go wrong with either a Civic or Corolla. They are 2 of the best built cars for the price and if you take care of them they will take care of you.

                              We are on our second Corolla, Our first was the 25th anniversary edition and it had over 170K before our son totaled it. I bought a used one that was a few years newer and we have over 60K in less than 3 years. I can tell you that 1.8L gets better milage than the 2.4L but that 2.4L moves pretty good.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X