Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bates View Post

I think it's one of France's top tourist attraction.
    I don't doubt it, but unlike the Louvre, or to take a trip up the tower, they don't charge anything to get in there that I saw. Which is great on the one hand, but tough when it comes to upkeep and maintenance.

Comment

The church doesn't make anything, admission is free. The church is responsible for maintenance, salaries, heat etc... They have a charity organization set up to make donations for this. How much they get from that and if it covers the cost I'm sure very few people know. Paris, and France in general makes a ton of cash off of it as a tourist attraction, just look at how many RFr's have been there from half way around the world. As far as who pays to rebuild it who cares as long as it isn't me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
        The church doesn't make anything, admission is free. The church is responsible for maintenance, salaries, heat etc... They have a charity organization set up to make donations for this. How much they get from that and if it covers the cost I'm sure very few people know. Paris, and France in general makes a ton of cash off of it as a tourist attraction, just look at how many RFr's have been there from half way around the world. As far as who pays to rebuild it who cares as long as it isn't me.
        True enough, and it looks as though they took the burden off the French taxpayer as well. But it still begs the question, where does the Catholic church fit in? Sort of seems like they should play a role no?

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

True enough, and it looks as though they took the burden off the French taxpayer as well. But it still begs the question, where does the Catholic church fit in? Sort of seems like they should play a role no?
          It burn't down yesterday lol, I'm not saying they shouldn't have some stake in it. The catholic church isn't exactly known for moving expeditiously.

Comment

Originally posted by The_G View Post

So how much of their netwealth do you think is appropriate to make you happy?
            I donít care either way how much they spend. I am happier that it is very wealthy people footing the bill VS taxpayers. You seem to be very upset over me pointing out that their level of wealth means 100 million and 300 million is not a big burden for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
              Yes and no. The cathedral is free, the towers, crypt and shop are not. IIRC it was 10 euros a head for foreigners and a bit cheaper for locals. There are different city passes that include it as well, as it is state owned, but run by the RCC . They also get a small amount from the government. I think I read 2.4 million. Pretty small amount dependant on the sources for visitors, some of which indicate that only Disney Paris gets more visitors. Most say it gets more than the Eiffel Tower, which I could see as the tower is best appreciated from afar and as a backdrop. Good place to go if you want ridiculous prices and swarms of professional beggars who hand you notes asking for money though. They come by the subwar car full about 10 minutes before the top of the hour IIRC.

also, I was reading this earlier. It is a couple years old, but I had read there were extensive repairs under way, so I was interested in seeing what. This states repair estimates were at 114 million Euro, over 170 mil Canadian.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tow...nds-to-repair/
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

I think it's one of France's top tourist attraction.
                More people go to Notre Dame than any other attraction in Paris (12 million/year). So although Squish may have paid zero to tour the cathedral, it's safe to say he paid quite a bit in taxes to visit Paris so the French tax payers benefited from his visit.

Comment

If anyone is going to be in Dublin in the near future , Christ Church cathedral is a must see.

https://christchurchcathedral.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

More people go to Notre Dame than any other attraction in Paris (12 million/year). So although Squish may have paid zero to tour the cathedral, it's safe to say he paid quite a bit in taxes to visit Paris so the French tax payers benefited from his visit.
                    True, my purpose for being in Paris in the first place had nothing to do with Notre Dame, but I take your point.

Comment

• Chartes Cathedral (south of Paris) suffered a similar fire in 1836, destroying it's lead covered roof supported by a "forest" of oak beams. By 1840 a new copper roof supported by iron ribs was in place. It can be done. Thank you, wikipedia

Click image for larger version

Name:	chartres-615.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	431484

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
                        People underestimate the power of the religion on their followers. The donation is huge part of keeping the church up and running I'm sure. Yes to rebuild it it will take much more and assistance from French government but if Pope put a call out to his lambs, million will pour in in no time.

Comment

• https://apple.news/AXotXHLh2QUWIqiVp1TQeTw

Comment

• Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post
                            No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

No good deed goes unpunished.
                              yup

Comment

• Very interesting info on the church and the fire.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-...rough/11024512

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X