Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by go riders View Post
    When we were walking around the island today, at one spot a group of young people started to sing a hymn (that I couldn't understand) and a few others in the crowd started to sing along. Very moving and brought a tear to my eyes.
    We are all Riderfans, but we all have other elements to our lives, too. I am proud of you, the firefighters, and others feeling very moved by this loss.

Very encouraging to note that the two towers and the Rose stained glass window were saved. Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by ONE ARMED BANDIT View Post

That article is from September 2016.
      Someone loan out the keys to the delorian?

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

Gas tanks and Arabic documents found in unmarked car by Paris' Notre Dame cathedral spark terror fears
        https://www.telegraph.co.uk
        Gas tanks and documents in Arabic were found in an unmarked car next to Notre Dame cathedral, sparking fresh terror fears and at least four arrests, according to French reports.
        That's 3 years old FFS. Probably best that you delete that post so you don't look like a complete idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post
          I Was there yesterday. Just missed the last tour so we were going to this morning.

We left probably an hour before it started.

Incredibly tragic. Literally 100s of news crews from all over the world there. Saw CBC setting up.
          Probably not what you intended, but you have witnessed history. They'll rebuild the church, but they'll talk about the Notre Dame fire of 2019 for the next thousand years of that church's history.

In end, no one was hurt, and the building is replaceable and looks to be fixable but with a lot of work.It was all a terrible accident.

Comment

CNN reporting that over 600 million dollars has been raised for a rebuild.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/busin...ion/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
              CNN reporting that over 600 million dollars has been raised for a rebuild.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/busin...ion/index.html
              Whew, thats a relief, not sure how the Catholic church would have ever been able to pay for it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

Whew, thats a relief, not sure how the Catholic church would have ever been able to pay for it otherwise.
                A few comments come to mind but I think it's best we don't go down that Rabbit hole.

Comment

A few comments come to mind but I think it's best we don't go down that Rabbit hole.
                  Yup, pretty amazing the generosity of these people to step up to help in the effort to rebuild a piece of history. $300 million from Louis Vuitton is pretty amazing. Sounds like Apple will be donating as well. Pretty incredible

Comment

Originally posted by The_G View Post

Yup, pretty amazing the generosity of these people to step up to help in the effort to rebuild a piece of history. $300 million from Louis Vuitton is pretty amazing. Sounds like Apple will be donating as well. Pretty incredible
                    I think a church like Notre Dame transcends religion. It's not at all surprising to see the widespread love and support for this building. Even the Church of Satan sent out a warm message on Twitter!

Comment

I haven't been to Europe but the majesty and opulence of the Notre Dame Cathedrals in Quebec City and Montreal are incredible, even to an atheist like me. It's hard for me to put how I feel when I visit those places into words - they just feel special, like they're so much more than the sum of their parts. I almost - almost - wish I was Catholic when I'm there. Maybe it's the reverence being shown by other patrons is contagious, or the centuries of history, or that society has taught me to show extra respect. I'm not sure what it is.

The Provincial Legislature is an incredible and beautiful building, and while spectacular, it just feels like a (particularly impressive) building to me, even as a history guy. There's something more to these beautiful cathedrals, and good for those helping to see Notre Dame rebuilt.
                      Last edited by Andy; 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        I haven't been to Europe but the majesty and opulence of the Notre Dame Cathedrals in Quebec City and Montreal are incredible, even to an atheist like me. It's hard for me to put how I feel when I visit those places into words - they just feel special, like they're so much more than the sum of their parts. I almost - almost - wish I was Catholic when I'm there. Maybe it's the reverence being shown by other patrons is contagious, or the centuries of history, or that society has taught me to show extra respect. I'm not sure what it is.

The Provincial Legislature is an incredible and beautiful building, and while spectacular, it just feels like a (particularly impressive) building to me, even as a history guy. There's something more to these beautiful cathedrals, and good for those helping to see Notre Dame rebuilt.
                        I've been in it, and like you, the grandiosity, the architecture, the beautiful examples of medieval artworks was just really really inspiring. You can see why those of faith liken this to a home of God. With Notre Dame, it was just so big and airy inside, with those stained glass windows way up high in the walls, then down into the details of the stonework and the flooring. All just perfect, and you could just feel the thousands of years in it all. Service was on when I was there on a SUnday morning, and the sight of the small priest standing in front of this mighty altar, below a hundred foot ceiling, was kind of indescribable. But then again, this church has been through numerous rebuilds and changes over the centuries. This will be another one, and it will be more beautiful than ever, even if it is a modern steel roof or something else that may change it.

Also, while police and fire investigation crews do not yet know the cause of the blaze, I hear Quasimodo has a hunch.

Comment

I've been in it, and like you, the grandiosity, the architecture, the beautiful examples of medieval artworks was just really really inspiring. You can see why those of faith liken this to a home of God. With Notre Dame, it was just so big and airy inside, with those stained glass windows way up high in the walls, then down into the details of the stonework and the flooring. All just perfect, and you could just feel the thousands of years in it all. Service was on when I was there on a SUnday morning, and the sight of the small priest standing in front of this mighty altar, below a hundred foot ceiling, was kind of indescribable. But then again, this church has been through numerous rebuilds and changes over the centuries. This will be another one, and it will be more beautiful than ever, even if it is a modern steel roof or something else that may change it.

Also, while police and fire investigation crews do not yet know the cause of the blaze, I hear Quasimodo has a hunch.
                          It's being reported that there aren't trees big enough left, in France anyway, to build it out of wood. Whether there is any merit in that I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The_G View Post

Interesting comments on capitalism in France.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...27727198363648

Phil Serafino Even after 14 years in France, the nature of capitalism in this country often seems foreign to me. It's unlike anywhere else -- many of the biggest publicly traded companies are family controlled, and if you're a minority shareholder, you know you're just along for the ride, @LVMH, @Kering @Loreal being classic examples. And then there's the role of the state: As long as companies pay the very high social charges and make an effort to preserve jobs, the system treats companies gently, relatively speaking. But politicians make it clear that they expect companies and the wealthy to work for the good of the whole, sometimes at the expense of shareholder returns. To an outsider, the system can seem incredibly opaque, inefficient and not responsive to shareholders. Sometimes, though, the advantages to society are abundantly clear. Would love to hear what investors and others think. What's your take on the state of capitalism in France? https://lnkd.in/dRSzyQb hashtag#luxury hashtag#wealth hashtag#capitalism hashtag#France

Comment

Ouch! too soon!!
                              ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

It's being reported that there aren't trees big enough left, in France anyway, to build it out of wood. Whether there is any merit in that I have no idea.
                                I would imagine that they could find big trees somewhere on the continent, I don't think they HAVE to be French trees. But still, I would advocate for a more modern construction to alleviate the risk from this happening again in 800 years.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X